ZMF Aeolus or Verite or Auteur vs Hifiman Arya, HE-1000 V2 vs Meze Empyrean on Sony NW-WM1Z?
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 45
Guess we can put it up to preference since they are more similar then different, tho the S's bass is a departure from "clean".
Based my jugment on Tyll's in this case anyways, never heard the HD800S.
The hd800s measures less clean but doesn't sound less clean . It just sounds just as clean but more present. IMO one of those cases 99 of 100 people would like it better if they weren't biased by a review or graph ahead of time.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 45
I also recommend going with the Verité. Not only will it look good, it will sound fantastic, romantic, beautiful, emotional.

@zach915m Do you have any experience with the WM1Z driving the Verité?

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 45
I also recommend going with the Verité. Not only will it look good, it will sound fantastic, romantic, beautiful, emotional.

@zach915m Do you have any experience with the WM1Z driving the Verité?
Are you sure about that? OP said he found the Hd650 fatiguing, verite more aggressive than hd650 imo. That being the case of the ZMF lineup I'd think Aeolus would be a better bet for laid back character if and only if the wm1z can drive it effectively @ 300ohm.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 45
99% of people have no idea have no idea what good sound is.

"It just sounds just as clean but more present." - meaning preference.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 45
The Verité comes with both Verité and Universe pads. With the latter he should be set.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 45
Are you sure about that? OP said he found the Hd650 fatiguing, verite more aggressive than hd650 imo. That being the case of the ZMF lineup I'd think Aeolus would be a better bet for laid back character if and only if the wm1z can drive it effectively @ 300ohm.
I highly doubt that the HD650 could have been fatiguing (to anyone, including bats) - I would guess that the chain was the culprit in that case.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 45
I highly doubt that the HD650 could have been fatiguing (to anyone, including bats) - I would guess that the chain was the culprit in that case.

Well that's what he said chain or not the ZMF Aeolus seems safer bet if he found hd650 fatiguing and wants zmf headphone. Would suck for OP to spend $2500 on verite and have headphone that bothers him.

Aeolus LE looks sharp too:
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/aeolusltd

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 45
Well that's what he said chain or not the ZMF Aeolus seems safer bet if he found hd650 fatiguing and wants zmf headphone. Would suck for OP to spend $2500 on verite and have headphone that bothers him.
He could get a Schiit Fulla or Hell and the Verite would still sound great from it. The better the gear the better of course.
Plus with a 99db efficiency his DAP should power the Verite easily.
Aeolus would be a great choice too.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #24 of 45
I think I enjoyed the DT 990 more often as I found the sound signature more lively with my music. That may be where I am remembering the fatigue from. I know they are cheaper and supposedly inferior to the HD650s though.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #25 of 45
I think I enjoyed the DT 990 more often as I found the sound signature more lively with my music. That may be where I am remembering the fatigue from. I know they are cheaper and supposedly inferior to the HD650s though.
The Verite manages to be lively and non-fatiguing at the same time, Zach really created something special here.
In the end look to try for yourself tho. Not much use in listening to randos on the internet. :wink:

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 45
99% of people have no idea have no idea what good sound is.

"It just sounds just as clean but more present." - meaning preference.
Yeh I would also say though 99% of "audiophiles" / "audio enthusiasts" are biased by what they are "supposed" to like per "audiophile ideals" vs. what they actually like :wink: Like in your case, you haven't heard headphone at all but are making a case on "audiophile ideal" when the actual thread when said distortion was found most (including the guy who designed the original SDR mod) believed that the added 2nd distortion improved the overall bass response of the headphone before it was discovered. The only really effective argument against it is if you are going to massively boost/EQ the bass on HD800v1 instead, but that has its own tradeoffs as well, and IMO less desirable overall than the simple 2nd order tweak senn made on hd800s.

It is of course preference, but so is everything in audio in reality.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 45
At the moment I'm thinking it's between the Aeolus, Verite, Atticus and Empyrean. How "fun" they are is my first concern followed by fatigue. Detail is important but secondary for me and a worthy trade off if more fun(very subjective) and less fatiguing. I wish I could easily listen to all 4 of these before deciding.

Sep 22, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 45
At the moment I'm thinking it's between the Aeolus, Verite, Atticus and Empyrean. How "fun" they are is my first concern followed by fatigue. Detail is important but secondary for me and a worthy trade off if more fun(very subjective) and less fatiguing. I wish I could easily listen to all 4 of these before deciding.

Of the ZMF I'd say:

"Fun" : Atticus > Aeolus > Verite
"Lowest Fatigue" : Aeolus > Atticus > Verite
"Detail": Verite > Aeolus > Atticus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back