ZMF Aeolus or Verite or Auteur vs Hifiman Arya, HE-1000 V2 vs Meze Empyrean on Sony NW-WM1Z?
Sep 21, 2020 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

scorptrigger

Head-Fier
Can anyone comment on a comparison between these 3? I'm looking for a headphone that is detailed and musical/evoking emotion from vocals, but not fatiguing. I listen to a wide range of music from jazz and classical to reggae, folk and blues. I recently purchased a WM1Z(still in transit) and it would be ideal if I can get good performance from the headphones directly from the DAP without additional amplification. Thanks

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 45
So I am able to piece together pretty good impressions of all the above options. But specifically for running only off of the WM1Z? I hear a lot about how forgiving the Empyrean is of source and not power hungry. Would that factor alone put it significantly above the others here? If it wasn't for this factor I would be leaning heavily towards the ZMF offerings.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 45
jazz and classical to reggae, folk and blues

This actually isn't that wide of a range of music, is this basically your main genres?

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 45
Yes, I've been enjoying a lot of Brazilian funk recently but essentially yes.

Any reason you aren't considering HD800S? Seems like it would be good fit for your music; it also has been reported to pair well with the player you have. Otherwise of the ones listed my 2nd choice would be Verite, though I'm not sure how that will work with the Sony.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 45
If you can get the Verite, get it and don't look back. It's a notch above all the others listed.
It is up there with Utopia, LCD 4 and co.
It will start a ZMF love-story. Especially here: "jazz and classical to reggae, folk and blues" - wherever there are real instruments and vocals (real music).
Even electronic will sound great due to its planar like speed and deep, detailed bass.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 45
Any reason you aren't considering HD800S? Seems like it would be good fit for your music
I'm concerned they may be too fatiguing Based on the reviews I have read. I had HD650s and DT 990s in the past both of which I really enjoyed but could get fatiguing after around 1.5-2 hours for me if I remember correctly. But I can afford to spend more now.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 45
If you can get the Verite, get it and don't look back. It's a notch above all the others listed.
It is up there with Utopia, LCD 4 and co.
It will start a ZMF love-story. Especially here: "jazz and classical to reggae, folk and blues" - wherever there are real instruments and vocals (real music).
Even electronic will sound great due to its planar like speed and deep, detailed bass.
Thanks, yes I am leaning heavily in this direction, they are so beautiful too which is a nice bonus.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 45
I'm concerned they may be too fatiguing Based on the reviews I have read. I had HD650s and DT 990s in the past both of which I really enjoyed but could get fatiguing after around 1.5-2 hours for me if I remember correctly. But I can afford to spend more now.
Plus the HD800 modded is better than the S. The S version srews with the bass tonality.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 45
Plus the HD800 modded is better than the S. The S version srews with the bass tonality.
This is a myth, I've owned both; the HD800S simply sounds to have fuller and more satisfying bass / bass sounds better. Yes it technically achieved by more 2nd order distortion [not a bad thing, even-ordered] in the bass to achieve this, but the HD800 has more distortion in the treble which is much more noticeable in a bad way.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 45
Did not say it's worse, it's preference, but it changes the pitch of the bass - "which is screwing with tonality" in my book, ie. no "myth".
And yes, that is why we mod the HD800 children so we fix the treble. :wink:

Edit: Oh, and you can get it used for way under 1k.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 45

Wow if you find the HD650 fatiguing you definitely don't want a HD800 or pretty much anything in your subject line IMO.

Also if you really don't want an amp, then you may want to consider a headphone with less power draw needs (150 ohm or less). Maybe something like the HD660S or Grado Hemp? You could do ZMF Aeolus (one of least fatiguing headphones available) but thats again 300ohm and your player might have a rough time.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 45
Did not say it's worse, it's preference, but it changes the pitch of the bass - "which is screwing with tonality" in my book, ie. no "myth".
And yes, that is why we mod the HD800 children so we fix the treble. :wink:

Edit: Oh, and you can get it used for way under 1k.

Value is one thing, although I'd even argue that point. You can get an HD800S brand new with warranty for under $1500 with haggling from an authorized dealer I've found. On the other hand, good condition HD800 originals have been going on ebay with no warranty for $900-$1000 these days; since discount HD800 are no longer available new the used price has gone up. Its not like it used to be with $700 HD800 all over the place.

I would say you are arguing from a tenuous position complaining about adding a small amount of 2nd orders to the bass when you have a EC tube amp :wink: Besides, Sennheiser's pro treble mod is better than the home DIY version, if only by a bit.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 45
Value is one thing, although I'd even argue that point. You can get an HD800S brand new with warranty for under $1500 with haggling I've found. On the other hand, good condition HD800 originals have been going on ebay with no warranty for $900-$1000 these days; since discount HD800 are no longer available new the used price has gone up. Its not like it used to be with $700 HD800 all over the place.

I would say you are arguing from a tenuous position complaining about adding a small amount of 2nd orders to the bass when you have a EC tube amp :wink: Besides, Sennheiser's pro treble mod is better than the home DIY version, if only by a bit.
Guess we can put it up to preference since they are more similar then different, tho the S's bass is a departure from "clean".
Based my jugment on Tyll's in this case anyways, never heard the HD800S.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 45
Wow if you find the HD650 fatiguing you definitely don't want a HD800 or pretty much anything in your subject line IMO.

Also if you really don't want an amp, then you may want to consider a headphone with less power draw needs (150 ohm or less). Maybe something like the HD660S or Grado Hemp? You could do ZMF Aeolus (one of least fatiguing headphones available) but thats again 300ohm and your player might have a rough time.
It's been a long time, I do know that fatigue is an important consideration though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back