ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #6,436 of 6,740
Aeolus Burl is Live now - this headphone is still the "just right" spot for me when I want to listen to something for a longer period of time due to it's "easy" nature. Lots of grille and rod options available too!

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/hot-cup-summer/products/h-c-s-o-b-aeolus

I still adore my Purple Std Maple Burl Aeolus from your Nov 22’ drop but damn man you’re making me want to buy another one for the looks alone. IMO yours are THE SEXIEST looking headphones period that also happen to sound just as good as they look

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #6,437 of 6,740
My stock Aeolus cable failed in the first year I owned this headphone, and I had also bought the OFC cable at the time of purchase, and that one lasted until tonight when suddenly the right channel started cutting in and out when I move the cable.

Any suggestions for other cheap decent third party cables that work with the Aeolus? I'm guessing any 4 pin mini XLR headphone cable would work?

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #6,438 of 6,740
My stock Aeolus cable failed in the first year I owned this headphone, and I had also bought the OFC cable at the time of purchase, and that one lasted until tonight when suddenly the right channel started cutting in and out when I move the cable.

Any suggestions for other cheap decent third party cables that work with the Aeolus? I'm guessing any 4 pin mini XLR headphone cable would work?

Since it seems like you're the original owner, I'd email ZMF first.

I've been enjoying Hart Audio's interconnect cable system though- they're affordable and made it extremely convenient to use my Aeolus on sources with different output connectors.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #6,439 of 6,740
Since it seems like you're the original owner, I'd email ZMF first.

I've been enjoying Hart Audio's interconnect cable system though- they're affordable and made it extremely convenient to use my Aeolus on sources with different output connectors.
Agree with Hart Audio Cables being an affordable and convenient cable to work with.
- main headphone cable is plenty flexible, not microphonic, and can be ordered in any length (and color) that makes sense for your setup
- having the end terminated with a mini-XLR you can then add small 3" adapters to interface with any amp headphone jack (6.35mm, 4.4mm, XLR, etc.)

Hart is a small US based company with excellent (in my experience) customer service
Certainly worth emailing them to see what shipping would be like outside of the US (I believe original poster was in Canada)

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #6,440 of 6,740
Morning coffee & chilling on balcony with some Natalie Merchant. The Aeolus Purple Std’z look absolutelly stunning in natural sunlight.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #6,441 of 6,740
Yeah that’s quite a different headphone experience I’d imagine (haven’t heard a D8000 Pro yet). The Aeolus is truly irreplaceable.
The headphone gods were very good to me and I was able to buy them back. In a strange case of trading/selling/trading the pair that I traded was then sold to another person, then traded to another, then back to me.

Super weird. They are by far the best sounding and looking Aeolus I've ever had and I've owned three different units.

I was able to buy them back at almost half what I sold them for so I'm unbelievably happy with what transpired.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #6,442 of 6,740
The headphone gods were very good to me and I was able to buy them back. In a strange case of trading/selling/trading the pair that I traded was then sold to another person, then traded to another, then back to me.
Super weird. They are by far the best sounding and looking Aeolus I've ever had and I've owned three different units.
I was able to buy them back at almost half what I sold them for so I'm unbelievably happy with what transpired.
Clearly very happy to have them back :smirk:
(I mean, hey, do what you want with your stuff. I just notice this kind of thing happen every once in a while and it always feels a little bit disingenuous.)

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #6,443 of 6,740
Clearly very happy to have them back :smirk:
(I mean, hey, do what you want with your stuff. I just notice this kind of thing happen every once in a while and it always feels a little bit disingenuous.)
First of all I have no obligation to explain to you or anyone else for that matter what I do with my gear, my money, my indecisiveness or my decisions regarding the hobby.

Having said that I originally bought a pair of Aeolus (my third) and paid a tonne to get them upgraded, I traded them along with cash for a D8000 Pro which i've also now sold. The money that I originally paid is clearly stated in my listing which is more than 99% of the listings that are posted every day. The value that I lost on them in the trade was almost $1000 CDN. I'm not flipping. Buying from ZMF especially in Canada where duties and taxes can cost hundreds more on top of the MSRP can be brutal.

Nothing regarding that listing is disingenuous. I'm not sure if i'm keeping them or not. If I can get some of my initial money out of them for a Verite Closed I will. If I can't I won't.

What I want with my stuff is my business. I'm constantly in a state of searching for what I want and don't want and that can change from day to day depending on what's available on the second hand market.

Don't mean to sound like a dick but either way you slice it it's none of your business.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #6,444 of 6,740
First of all I have no obligation to explain to you or anyone else for that matter what I do with my gear, my money, my indecisiveness or my decisions regarding the hobby.

Having said that I originally bought a pair of Aeolus (my third) and paid a tonne to get them upgraded, I traded them along with cash for a D8000 Pro which i've also now sold. The money that I originally paid is clearly stated in my listing which is more than 99% of the listings that are posted every day. The value that I lost on them in the trade was considerable especially in Canada where duties and taxes can cost hundreds more on top of the MSRP.

Nothing regarding that listing is disingenuous. I'm not sure if i'm keeping them or not. If I can get some of my initial money out of them for a Verite Closed I will. If I can't I won't.

What I want with my stuff is my business. I'm constantly in a state of searching for what I want and don't want and that can change from day to day depending on what's available on the second hand market.

Don't mean to sound like a dick but either way you slice it it's none of your business.
You're right, it's not my business, which is why I said it's your stuff you do what you want. People often gush about their gear and then you see them listing it shortly after for whatever reason. This just raised an eyebrow moreso because you made a big deal about what a serendipitous situation it was that you got them back and how much of a mistake it was to get rid of them, and then I see them listed in under a week. That's the part that felt disingenuous to me, not specifically what you said in your listing.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #6,445 of 6,740
You're right, it's not my businesses, which is why I said it's your stuff you do what you want. People often gush about their gear and then you see them listing it shortly after for whatever reason. This just raised an eyebrow moreso because you made a big deal about what a serendipitous situation it was that you got them back and how much of a mistake it was to get rid of them, and then I see them listed in under a week. That's the part that felt disingenuous to me, not specifically what you said in your listing.
It was serendipitous. I can try to claw what turned out to be a stupid trade for me to make into possibly getting a Verite Closed (my third) again.

The company that I worked for fired every employee at Christmas so I had to make another stupid decision and sold my endgame VC. I'd love to have one back in my collection so if I can make it happen I will. If I can't I'll keep the best Aeolus I've had as a consolation prize.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #6,446 of 6,740
It was serendipitous. I can try to claw what turned out to be a stupid trade for me to make into possibly getting a Verite Closed (my third) again.

The company that I worked for fired every employee at Christmas so I had to make another stupid decision and sold my endgame VC. I'd love to have one back in my collection so if I can make it happen I will. If I can't I'll keep the best Aeolus I've had as a consolation prize.
Well then I wish you luck in getting back to whatever your end-game is, apologies for questioning a misfortunate circumstance.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #6,447 of 6,740
Well then I wish you luck in getting back to whatever your end-game is, apologies for questioning a misfortunate circumstance.
Unfortunately I'm not a reviewer and have to buy stuff blind to see if it's a good fit. I can't navigate the hobby without the upgrade and trade model so the second hand market is where I have to do the majority of my purchases. Some go well and others not so much. I don't have a whole lot of regrets but there's a few things that I've had to sell for various reasons that I wish I didn't. The VC that I sold was one of them. At the time I didn't have the right source gear to drive the VC as intended. I now do and I'd love to have it back in my collection.

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #6,448 of 6,740
I've had a love/hate relationship with Aeolus as well.

I've owned three separate units all with different woods. I prefer higher Janka Scale wood's with ZMF Headphones and the best Aeolus I had was the Cocobolo. I ultimately sold them for an upgrade path but I'm sure at one point I'll get another unit. Everybody said Aeolus is best with tubes but I don't really like it with the Echo MKII at all. I vastly prefer it on a more analytical source. My favorite pairing was on an iFi Diablo on High Gain.

On tubes I find Aeolus WAY too warm. I already think it's not the most technically impressive headphone so I need a bit more resolution to enjoy them. Lately I've been leaning way more into technicalities so I'm gonna stay away from buying another Aeolus for a while.

I really want to try an Auteur Classic so I'm more interested in going that route to see what those are like.

I have Aeolus (mine is the standard Sepele wood) and Echo MK2 as well. I may actually share your sentiment that the pairing is too warm. There is a Cocobolo version up for grabs on CAM now and I'm tempted to get it. But I also would love to get an Auteur or Auteur Classic at some point. Right now I'm giving the Meze 109 Pro a try. But it may also be too "bright" for my taste even on tubes. Plus I'm still getting used to how it sits on my head. Not sure it's the best fit.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #6,449 of 6,740
Spent the day listening to a newly acquired LCD-4. It's magical. I bought a Cayin HA-3A about a month ago and that synergy is incredible.

Now that I have my Aeolus back this is the first day I've tried Aeolus on the HA-3A. I really didn't like the Echo MKII pairing with Aeolus but the HA-3A makes it sound incredible. I understand why Zach carries the Cayin lineup. This is easily the best I've ever heard the Aeolus. I'm on the perf suedes but I'll try swapping to the OG Aeolus pads to see if I like it.

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #6,450 of 6,740
I have Aeolus (mine is the standard Sepele wood) and Echo MK2 as well. I may actually share your sentiment that the pairing is too warm. There is a Cocobolo version up for grabs on CAM now and I'm tempted to get it. But I also would love to get an Auteur or Auteur Classic at some point. Right now I'm giving the Meze 109 Pro a try. But it may also be too "bright" for my taste even on tubes. Plus I'm still getting used to how it sits on my head. Not sure it's the best fit.
My biggest issue with the 109 was fit which surprised me because comfort was one of the pluses on every review.

Always felt a bit loose on my head and any movement caused microphonics from the elastic inside the headband. My ears also touched the back of the cups, which they do on many headphones, but when it's a metal grate it's more problematic.

Really makes me appreciate the extra tweakability of all the ZMFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back