ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 5, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #6,242 of 6,741
Am I the only one who found the Aeolus very "grey" and unremarkable with the Universe Suede pads? It's as if they rob the Aeolus of their... Aeolusness compared the the proper Aeolus pads.
I find there's a magic to the perf Universe Suede pads too, particularly the sense of spaciousness and holographic bass reproduction. But yeah, I'm recent an OG Aeolus pad convert so I tend to agree. They just nail timbre and impact IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #6,243 of 6,741
Am I the only one who found the Aeolus very "grey" and unremarkable with the Universe Suede pads? It's as if they rob the Aeolus of their... Aeolusness compared the the proper Aeolus pads.
I recently bought the Aeolus for a second time and even with the stock lambskin Universe pads, the word “neutered” kept cropping up in my mind, when compared to the Aeolus I used to own. Seems totally robbed of its mojo.

Was a reason ever given for discontinuing the OG pads?

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #6,244 of 6,741
I recently bought the Aeolus for a second time and even with the stock lambskin Universe pads, the word “neutered” kept cropping up in my mind, when compared to the Aeolus I used to own. Seems totally robbed of its mojo.

I'm sure you can find the reason in this thread, but it was something along the lines of how the universe lambskins sound very similar to the aeolus pads, that zach felt there was no need for him to have "Aeolus pads"

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #6,245 of 6,741
Hmm weird. To me it sounds like a huge cut in the midbass from memory. I know there’s been a mesh change too but that was also supposed to have little/no effect on sound.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but given the response here seem to be in favour of the OG pads, maybe not?

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #6,246 of 6,741
I tend to use the suede pair more as it makes the Aeolus more neutral and chill-y in comparison of my other main can: the Arya SE.

Since I Am also a relatively quiet listener, I feel like the suede let me pump the volume a bit more.

If I had only the Aeolus I would probably keep the uni leather on, at least for the shorter listening sessions.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #6,247 of 6,741
I tend to use the suede pair more as it makes the Aeolus more neutral and chill-y in comparison of my other main can: the Arya SE.

Since I Am also a relatively quiet listener, I feel like the suede let me pump the volume a bit more.

If I had only the Aeolus I would probably keep the uni leather on, at least for the shorter listening sessions.
i personally like the comfort on the uni suede, but the boomier, almost slower sound of the uni lambskin.

I wonder if anyone has tried hybrid pads on Aeolus (Universe Hybrid Perf)...

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #6,248 of 6,741

This is hi-fi, baby! If it's discontinued it's better! LOL

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #6,249 of 6,741
Never heard "grey sounding" before TBH :o2smile:
This might be a taboo here but I use parametric EQ with both suede and lambskin pads. After a week of EQ, you can't go back. something is missing in the stock tuning IMO.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #6,250 of 6,741

I heard that many users complained about the Aeolus being too warm with the Aeolus OG pads. I like many others think the Aeolus has a special character with the OG pads that is lost with the other pads.

The good thing is for those of us that prefer the old school sound of the Aeolus is that the OG pads can still be bought periodically during ZMF's B-stock sales a few times a year. They can also be frequently found on the used market.

Regarding the old bop solid mesh, it can still be bought on the ZMF website. I replaced my bop mesh with the radial Titan mesh and find it to be a great match with the Aeolus OG pads. To me the radial mesh definitely has a little more high frequency energy that gives the Aeolus a little more zing on top while retaining the fun, mid bass sound of the Aeolus with the OG pads. If you want to get the complete old school sound of the Aeolus however, the original pads and mesh can still be bought.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #6,251 of 6,741
i personally like the comfort on the uni suede, but the boomier, almost slower sound of the uni lambskin.

Currently have the Universe Hybrid Perf on a pair of Blackwood Aeolus - sound wise it may be a touch brighter than the Universe Lambskin Perf, but for me it's more about the feel of suede against the skin - sonically it's closer to the Universe Lambskin than the Suede.

There were a few changes from the OG Aeolus to current Aeolus
- OG: Aeolus lambskin perf ear pad vs. New: Universe lambskin perf ear pad
- OG: Bopp mesh vs. New: radial titan mesh
- OG: 2-hole baffle vs. New: 3-hole baffle - change in baffle airflow was deemed necessary by Zach when default pad changed to Universe

The change in the number of holes in the baffle is maybe easiest to see in the video: ZMF Headphones - Installing Acoustic Titan Mesh

The "glamour shot" is the newer 3-hole
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 8.17.16 AM.png

The "working shot" is the older 2-hole
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 8.18.18 AM.png

Over the past year I've had three different sets of Aeolus across my desktop
- 2022 LTD Canary - 3-hole baffle - Universe pads
- 2019 LTD Ziricote - 2-hole baffle - Aeolus pads (updated to radial titan mesh)
- 2019 LTD Blackwood - 2-hole baffle - Aeolus pads (updated to radial titan mesh)

Aesthetically I preferred the Blackwood and ultimately let the other two find new homes.
Sonically there were certainly differences that I could pick up on if I were immediately A/B-ing them (using the same pad type on each), but I wouldn't characterize any of the differences as good or bad, just a matter of preference (transient decay, etc.).

However changing pads on an individual pair made far more difference than A/B-ing two different pairs with the same pad.
To me the titan radial mesh also added a bit of brightness over the OG Bopp mesh - that could be my imagination ... but it's what I heard. Also the titan mesh doesn't have the periodic "metallic crunch" under the ear pad like the Bopp would occasionally do.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #6,252 of 6,741
Currently have the Universe Hybrid Perf on a pair of Blackwood Aeolus - sound wise it may be a touch brighter than the Universe Lambskin Perf, but for me it's more about the feel of suede against the skin - sonically it's closer to the Universe Lambskin than the Suede.

There were a few changes from the OG Aeolus to current Aeolus
- OG: Aeolus lambskin perf ear pad vs. New: Universe lambskin perf ear pad
- OG: Bopp mesh vs. New: radial titan mesh
- OG: 2-hole baffle vs. New: 3-hole baffle - change in baffle airflow was deemed necessary by Zach when default pad changed to Universe

The change in the number of holes in the baffle is maybe easiest to see in the video: ZMF Headphones - Installing Acoustic Titan Mesh

The "glamour shot" is the newer 3-hole
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 8.17.16 AM.png

The "working shot" is the older 2-hole
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 8.18.18 AM.png

Over the past year I've had three different sets of Aeolus across my desktop
- 2022 LTD Canary - 3-hole baffle - Universe pads
- 2019 LTD Ziricote - 2-hole baffle - Aeolus pads (updated to radial titan mesh)
- 2019 LTD Blackwood - 2-hole baffle - Aeolus pads (updated to radial titan mesh)

Aesthetically I preferred the Blackwood and ultimately let the other two find new homes.
Sonically there were certainly differences that I could pick up on if I were immediately A/B-ing them (using the same pad type on each), but I wouldn't characterize any of the differences as good or bad, just a matter of preference (transient decay, etc.).

However changing pads on an individual pair made far more difference than A/B-ing two different pairs with the same pad.
To me the titan radial mesh also added a bit of brightness over the OG Bopp mesh - that could be my imagination ... but it's what I heard. Also the titan mesh doesn't have the periodic "metallic crunch" under the ear pad like the Bopp would occasionally do.
Very interesting. So I’m quite certain that the Aeolus I previously owned was more to my taste. However, the previous comment on EQ was valid. I guess I could EQ that midbass back in…

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #6,253 of 6,741
Yeah, that's what i was going for as well; i really like the feel of suede on skin as well.

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #6,254 of 6,741

All in all I think I prefer the suede in general, as they clean the bass a little bit and tame some spark in the highs, at least to my ears.

I just did 3-4 song (mostly alt rock and metal) back to back comparing lamb and suede, and to me the suede are more enjoyable. The biggest difference, to my ears, is in the upper mid and treble region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back