ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 18, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #5,716 of 6,739
Every ZMF comes stock with Lambskin pads of some sort. The current stock pad for the Aeolus is the Universe Perforated Lambskin. The original Aeolus pads were similar to the Universe Lambskins but even warmer sounding. When I owned the Aeolus (twice) I also preferred Universe Suedes.

I think my other pads are the universe perforated lambskin. But I also bought my Aeolus used so I think those pads were pretty broken in and I preferred the perforated suede pads. Are the BE2 pads simply a "vegan" pad?

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,717 of 6,739
I think my other pads are the universe perforated lambskin. But I also bought my Aeolus used so I think those pads were pretty broken in and I preferred the perforated suede pads. Are the BE2 pads simply a "vegan" pad?
BE2 pads are a slight variation of the Verite pads. If I’m not mistaken they are ever so slightly thicker than the Verite pads. They have all the same options for material, Lambskin, Suede or Hybrid.

From the ZMF website for the Verite pads:

“Also available are our "Secret Menu" Be² pads that are the perfect middle ground between Vérité and Universe Pads.”

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #5,718 of 6,739
The vegan BE2 is as close as there is to the Verite pad since there is no suede Verite pad. Since suede increases the treble, perhaps a suede Verite pad just wasn't necessary? Personally I wouldn't want something brighter than the suede BE2 pads

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #5,719 of 6,739
The vegan BE2 is as close as there is to the Verite pad since there is no suede Verite pad. Since suede increases the treble, perhaps a suede Verite pad just wasn't necessary? Personally I wouldn't want something brighter than the suede BE2 pads

Would a "brighter" pad somehow be beneficial for the Aeolus on a tube amp?

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #5,720 of 6,739
I have an OTL tube amp and usually listen to my Aeolus with universal perf suede pads. But sometimes I switch to universe perf hybrids because they have more bass control and airier highs. They're just as comfortable as the suedes.

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #5,721 of 6,739
not all tube amps are warm, iirc feliks has a more cleaner as compare to cayin

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #5,722 of 6,739
not all tube amps are warm, iirc feliks has a more cleaner as compare to cayin

Well with my BHC I do feel like my Aeolus is on the warm side. I don't mind it but it can be a bit much sometimes.

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #5,723 of 6,739
Well with my BHC I do feel like my Aeolus is on the warm side. I don't mind it but it can be a bit much sometimes.
yeah, BHC tends to be more warm (at least from what i've read).

if you have a local audio store, you can bring your aeolus and try out gear there. From my limited experience with tubes, i really liked the Feliks Audio Echo MkII, since it has a more cleaner (almost sterile sound), helping it retain the detail at higher frequencies while still imparting that infamous "tube sound".

If you like pure honey and looking for that "tube sound", Cayin looks good too.

Jun 19, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #5,724 of 6,739
yeah, BHC tends to be more warm (at least from what i've read).

if you have a local audio store, you can bring your aeolus and try out gear there. From my limited experience with tubes, i really liked the Feliks Audio Echo MkII, since it has a more cleaner (almost sterile sound), helping it retain the detail at higher frequencies while still imparting that infamous "tube sound".

If you like pure honey and looking for that "tube sound", Cayin looks good too.

I have the Feliks Audio Echo MKII also. I have looked at Cayin Audio also but they seem pretty pricey.

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #5,725 of 6,739
I have the Feliks Audio Echo MKII also. I have looked at Cayin Audio also but they seem pretty pricey.
yeah... that's the thing with Cayin.

iirc the WA3 (discontinued) is not bad too. Since you have the BHC, there aren't many amps at that price that are better.

You might want to try modding your BHC to see what that changes for you.

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #5,726 of 6,739
yeah... that's the thing with Cayin.

iirc the WA3 (discontinued) is not bad too. Since you have the BHC, there aren't many amps at that price that are better.

You might want to try modding your BHC to see what that changes for you.

My BHC has the speedball option. But it was also built for me as I don't have the space or ability to build it myself. I've also looked at Woo Audio but again pricey.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #5,727 of 6,739
D8FDF530-A2E0-469E-AD1C-0EC2020E1497.jpeg

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #5,729 of 6,739
I got some news on the sub-1k headphones:
Zach is working on the final touches; coming in the next 6 months to a year

Attachments

• 1656594856213.png
    1656594856213.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back