ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #5,551 of 6,741
Might be a semi controversial statement, but I really think the Schiit Jotunheim 2 synergies best with the ZMF Aeolus. I've tried loads of tube amps - Hagerman Tuba, SW51+, Feliks Echo, Pendant, Mogwai, Bottlehead Crack. And I'm left thinking the Aeolus with stock pads is colored enough and doesn't need tubes, it really just needs a fast and neutralish sounding SS that can slam a bit.
I haven't tried it on the Jotunheim but just wanted to add to me the Aeolus sounds great with both the Valhalla/Bifrost 2 and Lyr 2/Bifrost 2 combos. It seems the Aeolus plays well with he Schiit house sound.

For full disclosure I'm running the Aeolus with the Aeolus perforated lambskin pads. I've tried it with the Universe Suede pads also and while I like the sound, it pushed the sound more towards the neutral side. I already get this type of sound with the Auteur so I keep the Aeolus pads on it to get the warm Aeolus sound in all its glory.

I also like how the Atticus and Auteur sound with the Schiit combos mentioned above so it seems the ZMF and Schiit house sounds have good synergy with each other. I usually listen to these combos when I want to rock out as electric guitars sound so awesome with these combos.

I got a Verite Open in last week and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet with the Schiit combos. I've been listening to it exclusively on my MHDT Pagoda/Bottlehead Crack combo so far with outstanding results. Something tells me it's going to sound great with the Schiit combos though. I think I'll try that this evening and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,552 of 6,741
Might be a semi controversial statement, but I really think the Schiit Jotunheim 2 synergies best with the ZMF Aeolus. I've tried loads of tube amps - Hagerman Tuba, SW51+, Feliks Echo, Pendant, Mogwai, Bottlehead Crack. And I'm left thinking the Aeolus with stock pads is colored enough and doesn't need tubes, it really just needs a fast and neutralish sounding SS that can slam a bit.

You might be right. I received the Aeolus just after lending my Pass WHAMMY to a friend out of state and won't get it back until end of the month. That amp is FAST, detailed and slams with its high current Mosfet output drivers. Looking forward to listening to this combo. Same thought came to mind, the Uni Perf pads would pair better with this solid-state amp.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #5,553 of 6,741
I love the Aeolus. These are in Cocobolo.
4A978299-FCF8-4359-9803-D94B50C9352C.jpeg

F723B154-C15C-4B40-9343-AA268344F560.jpeg
187EE387-7B08-4F2D-8E2D-14718EC3BCBD.jpeg

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #5,554 of 6,741
I haven't tried it on the Jotunheim but just wanted to add to me the Aeolus sounds great with both the Valhalla/Bifrost 2 and Lyr 2/Bifrost 2 combos. It seems the Aeolus plays well with he Schiit house sound.

For full disclosure I'm running the Aeolus with the Aeolus perforated lambskin pads. I've tried it with the Universe Suede pads also and while I like the sound, it pushed the sound more towards the neutral side. I already get this type of sound with the Auteur so I keep the Aeolus pads on it to get the warm Aeolus sound in all its glory.

I also like how the Atticus and Auteur sound with the Schiit combos mentioned above so it seems the ZMF and Schiit house sounds have good synergy with each other. I usually listen to these combos when I want to rock out as electric guitars sound so awesome with these combos.

I got a Verite Open in last week and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet with the Schiit combos. I've been listening to it exclusively on my MHDT Pagoda/Bottlehead Crack combo so far with outstanding results. Something tells me it's going to sound great with the Schiit combos though. I think I'll try that this evening and see how it sounds.
Odd question but do you mind comparing the sound of the Jot 2 compared to the Bottlehead Crack? I’m considering selling my Feliks Audio Echo to get one.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #5,555 of 6,741
Odd question but do you mind comparing the sound of the Jot 2 compared to the Bottlehead Crack? I’m considering selling my Feliks Audio Echo to get one.
I don't have a Jot 2. I do have a Lyr 2 and Valhalla however. I checked out your profile and it looks like you have a Lyr 3 so I'm assuming you are asking for a comparison between the Bottlehead Crack and Lyr?

The long and short of it is the BHC is definitely more euphonic being an OTL tube design. It has that classic tube warmth and liquidity that is absolutely beautiful with high impedance cans including all the dynamic driver ZMFs. Don't let that fool you though as it's also detailed and has good bass and slam. It has a very large and deep soundstage with excellent imaging.

The BHC is an absolute stellar match to all of the ZMF cans I have (Aeolus, Autuer, Atticus, and Verite Open). It's also stellar with the other high impedance cans I have like the HD600, HD6XX, HD800, DT1990, and T1.2.

The Lyr 2 has a very punchy sound that also sounds good with the ZMFs I've tried on it. I actually prefer the Lyr with the ZMFs slightly when rocking out or listening to metal. It gives electric guitars a grunge and crunch that is absolutely intoxicating especially with the Aeolus and Atticus. I like the rhythmic drive the Lyr has with ZMFs.

As you probably know the tubes you run in both amps make a very big difference in sound. Having said all of that I prefer the Aeolus, Atticus, and Auteur (haven't tried the VO on the Lyr yet) most of the time on the Bottlehead Crack. OTL amps are a wonderful match with ZMFs and sooner or later you need to try one if you haven't already.

I do like having the Lyr also as it offers I nice change of pace especially with rock and metal as I mentioned earlier. I still own the Lyr mainly to drive my planars. If I were to just have one amp to run with my ZMFs however it would definitely be the BHC or another OTL amp (like the Echo). They are just made for each other.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #5,556 of 6,741
I love the Aeolus. These are in Cocobolo. 4A978299-FCF8-4359-9803-D94B50C9352C.jpeg
F723B154-C15C-4B40-9343-AA268344F560.jpeg187EE387-7B08-4F2D-8E2D-14718EC3BCBD.jpeg
Those are absolutely gorgeous! They may be the prettiest Aeolus I've seen to date, or at least in the discussion!

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #5,557 of 6,741
I don't have a Jot 2. I do have a Lyr 2 and Valhalla however. I checked out your profile and it looks like you have a Lyr 3 so I'm assuming you are asking for a comparison between the Bottlehead Crack and Lyr?

The long and short of it is the BHC is definitely more euphonic being an OTL tube design. It has that classic tube warmth and liquidity that is absolutely beautiful with high impedance cans including all the dynamic driver ZMFs. Don't let that fool you though as it's also detailed and has good bass and slam. It has a very large and deep soundstage with excellent imaging.

The BHC is an absolute stellar match to all of the ZMF cans I have (Aeolus, Autuer, Atticus, and Verite Open). It's also stellar with the other high impedance cans I have like the HD600, HD6XX, HD800, DT1990, and T1.2.

The Lyr 2 has a very punchy sound that also sounds good with the ZMFs I've tried on it. I actually prefer the Lyr with the ZMFs slightly when rocking out or listening to metal. It gives electric guitars a grunge and crunch that is absolutely intoxicating especially with the Aeolus and Atticus. I like the rhythmic drive the Lyr has with ZMFs.

As you probably know the tubes you run in both amps make a very big difference in sound. Having said all of that I prefer the Aeolus, Atticus, and Auteur (haven't tried the VO on the Lyr yet) most of the time on the Bottlehead Crack. OTL amps are a wonderful match with ZMFs and sooner or later you need to try one if you haven't already.

I do like having the Lyr also as it offers I nice change of pace especially with rock and metal as I mentioned earlier. I still own the Lyr mainly to drive my planars. If I were to just have one amp to run with my ZMFs however it would definitely be the BHC or another OTL amp (like the Echo). They are just made for each other.
Thank you very much for the write up! Yeah I got the Jot 2 a few weeks ago and it’s amazing. I’m just wondering how the slam is between that amp and BHC. Congrats on enjoying all those wonderful ZMFs on your equipment. 🙂

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #5,558 of 6,741
Thank you very much for the write up! Yeah I got the Jot 2 a few weeks ago and it’s amazing. I’m just wondering how the slam is between that amp and BHC. Congrats on enjoying all those wonderful ZMFs on your equipment. 🙂
Thank you very much! I don't find slam to be lacking at all with ZMFs and the BHC.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #5,560 of 6,741
Is this the new Canary wood? looks amazing!
Cocobolo in water based pre-catalyzed lacquer. These are from the Summer 2020 LTD run.

Apr 8, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #5,561 of 6,741
Just notice this white dot on the bottom of the left rod of my Aeolus. Is this a scratch or an intended mark for L/R or sth? At first I thought that its a stratch but its located in an unlikely position and so well-round that makes me curious. Any ideas what this is or what might cause this? Thanks

Attachments

• 59DB81A5-5248-4C78-B9E4-BECC3BFBC8EA.jpeg
    59DB81A5-5248-4C78-B9E4-BECC3BFBC8EA.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #5,562 of 6,741
At first I thought that its a stratch but its located in an unlikely position and so well-round that makes me curious. Any ideas what this is or what might cause this? Thanks
It's not intended. However this is quite common to scratch or dent the paint on the rod while adjusting the headband. The rod is simply painted black and not anodized like the yokes, AFAIK.

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #5,564 of 6,741
On an impulse, I picked up a pair of VC's thinking they might convince me to sell my Aeolus, but while they're technically very impressive, they don't come close to the magic of the Aeolus for me, or the Auteur for that matter. Funny how, depending on personal taste of course, something much lower in price can just be so much more enjoyable. It makes me appreciate ZMF even more for really offering stellar headphones at every price level. I'm sorry for ever doubting you, Aeolus!

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #5,565 of 6,741
On an impulse, I picked up a pair of VC's thinking they might convince me to sell my Aeolus, but while they're technically very impressive, they don't come close to the magic of the Aeolus for me, or the Auteur for that matter. Funny how, depending on personal taste of course, something much lower in price can just be so much more enjoyable. It makes me appreciate ZMF even more for really offering stellar headphones at every price level. I'm sorry for ever doubting you, Aeolus!
Very interesting. How does the Bottlehead Crack sound with ZMF headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back