ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #5,507 of 6,741
I am looking to get an Aeolus and am thinking of "fixing" my current amp to match it. I am using the THX 788 DAC/AMP and was told by a fellow Aeolus user that the hp doesnt sound good with his former THX amp. Budget right now is the cost of the 788 combo + 100 aka around 500$.

The number one option is to upgrade/change to a tube set up (like BHC), but I also use a planar (Sundara) and low impedance hp (EMU Teak) and those dont pair really well with tubes OTL afaik.

Second option is to go the hybrid route, ranging from CTH, TA-10 to the LP.

The third and might be the easiest one is to add a cheap Tube pre-amp on top of an existing SS amp like the THX like this video mentioned, but I am a bit skeptical about the results.

Would be appreciate for some advice about which route should I take. Thanks
Class-A/A-B, solid state amps like a Singxer or Jotunheim, tend to make for better all-rounders. Overall they'll be better for the planars than the dynamics but you're better off getting a high-impedance OTL for the Aeolus anyways. Then, after awhile, if you still want a tube amp, there are some decently priced tube amps worth trying out.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #5,508 of 6,741
So I just recently installed the new driver mesh and headband. The new mesh is overall nicer than the old one. Does not seem to change the sound at all which is good. The new headband makes my Aeolus lighter which is good. However it also means I have to readjust the size setting for my head. So now I'm on the lowest notch on the rod and the clamp is also lighter as well. Completely changes how they feel on my head. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll have to keep tweaking the headband to try and tighten the clamp. Otherwise I'll be switching back to the old head band with the pilot pad. Speaking of the pilot pad the velcro needs to be much improved. The velcro is not strong at all and keeps coming apart.

Also as I was replacing the driver mesh I got to take a look at the driver. Does anyone know what the red part is on the driver?

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4042.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #5,509 of 6,741
Speaking of the pilot pad the velcro needs to be much improved. The velcro is not strong at all and keeps coming apart.
I agree. What I've ultimately done is left the strap on and put the pilot pad bottom part between the strap and the headband and just leave the top part off. Not ideal in terms of looks, but I also realized that top part just adds weight anyway and for me the whole purpose was to feel less weight. All my headbands are suede, which are more cushy anyway.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #5,510 of 6,741
So I just recently installed the new driver mesh and headband. The new mesh is overall nicer than the old one. Does not seem to change the sound at all which is good. The new headband makes my Aeolus lighter which is good. However it also means I have to readjust the size setting for my head. So now I'm on the lowest notch on the rod and the clamp is also lighter as well. Completely changes how they feel on my head. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll have to keep tweaking the headband to try and tighten the clamp. Otherwise I'll be switching back to the old head band with the pilot pad. Speaking of the pilot pad the velcro needs to be much improved. The velcro is not strong at all and keeps coming apart.

Also as I was replacing the driver mesh I got to take a look at the driver. Does anyone know what the red part is on the driver?
You can also use the old headband's steel band with the new crescent headband. So the clamp force will remain the same.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #5,511 of 6,741
Hi everyone. Just got my Aeolus and I have the Feliks Echo 2 driving it. But I am also thinking of something transportable to drive it - say when I wish to listen at bedside. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
This ifi xCan a fantastic deal. I got one for portable listening with my Aeolus (and HD800S) and I'm really pleased with it. I have an OTL tube amp, too. Of course, it's better, but the xCan comes disturbingly close. https://www.adorama.com/ifi310002.h...8UQhWtyUkGTcd3KzQ5MTk0&utm_source=rflaid62905

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #5,512 of 6,741
I agree. What I've ultimately done is left the strap on and put the pilot pad bottom part between the strap and the headband and just leave the top part off. Not ideal in terms of looks, but I also realized that top part just adds weight anyway and for me the whole purpose was to feel less weight. All my headbands are suede, which are more cushy anyway.

Could you please provide a photo. Somehow I'm not sure what you mean in terms of positioning the pad.

You can also use the old headband's steel band with the new crescent headband. So the clamp force will remain the same.

I got the crescent headband with the steel band already installed. I did not want to mess up the new headband trying to get the old steel band inside.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #5,514 of 6,741
Thinking about selling my pair. How would I go about cleaning the suede pads?

I'd be curious about this also. I'm considering selling mine only because I want to fund the purchase of an Auteur. I cannot afford to keep both unfortunately.

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,515 of 6,741
I'd be curious about this also. I'm considering selling mine only because I want to fund the purchase of an Auteur. I cannot afford to keep both unfortunately.

Haha, I'm mainly thinking of selling to also fund further audio purchases. I've already "invested" the money in this hobby so might as well stick to the theme (though in my case the aim is to simplify my gear situation a bit).

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,516 of 6,741
I'm wondering how the LTD Aeolus Canary sounds compared with the stock Sapele wood version (which I have). I assume the different kinds of wood affect the sound.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #5,517 of 6,741
I'm wondering how the LTD Aeolus Canary sounds compared with the stock Sapele wood version (which I have). I assume the different kinds of wood affect the sound.
If you compare the Janaka scala of the two wood species, they are both close to each other.
Roughly speaking, it would only be a cosmetic thing and the sound quality would remain the same, I would assume the latter.
Since I am also interested in the Aelous, I would probably buy the Ltd if my assumption is correct.
The light wood suits it very well and looks less plain and dry for my taste.
But there's no accounting for taste.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,518 of 6,741
So this just happened to my Aeolus. That side seemed a bit lose so I tried to tighten it with the Allan key. But the piece ended up inside the ear cup. I can hear it rattling inside. How can I fix this? Am I able to get the piece out?

Attachments

• IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #5,519 of 6,741
Thinking about selling my pair. How would I go about cleaning the suede pads?
There are some suede cleaners that might work a bit, but cleaning a suede jacket is a different proposition to cleaning ear pads. Leather stores (jackets and things like Wilson's Leather) usually sell some suede cleaner, or you could try the ol' amazon route.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #5,520 of 6,741
So this just happened to my Aeolus. That side seemed a bit lose so I tried to tighten it with the Allan key. But the piece ended up inside the ear cup. I can hear it rattling inside. How can I fix this? Am I able to get the piece out?
Yes you can. I t does require taking apart the headphone to do it though. I'm sure @zach915m can walk you through it if you feel comfortable (there I go volunteering the owner of ZMF) or you'd probably have to ship it back for service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back