ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 6, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #4,413 of 6,740
Absolutely could be that. Always pays to see the full picture though.
The point is that I went with the intention to buy the amp, not just to try it. All amps from Feliks were a disappointment compare to my expectations and I end up buying something else instead. Not bad but not what I was expecting from an OTL design.

May 6, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,414 of 6,740
Personally both the Elise and Echo is great tube amps together with the Aeolus. Prefer the Echo myself, cleaner sounding while still giving a little tube flavour.

The Aeolus been such a good ride that I ordered the Verite open, going to probably keep both. Wife also uses the Aeolus and she's usually one thats find most headphones to shouty or sibilant. So the Aeolus is a gem in my book, specially out from the Echo. Had it since it was introduced for 400euro, tuberolled some but the stock tubes is just very good and clean.

We can always disagree on stuff, that's what we have these forums for.

May 6, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #4,415 of 6,740
Personally both the Elise and Echo is great tube amps together with the Aeolus. Prefer the Echo myself, cleaner sounding while still giving a little tube flavour.

The Aeolus been such a good ride that I ordered the Verite open, going to probably keep both. Wife also uses the Aeolus and she's usually one thats find most headphones to shouty or sibilant. So the Aeolus is a gem in my book, specially out from the Echo. Had it since it was introduced for 400euro, tuberolled some but the stock tubes is just very good and clean.

We can always disagree on stuff, that's what we have these forums for.
It’s not a disagreement. More of opinions and tastes. It’s like food. Some like pizza some don’t. What the Feliks amps are not is transparent, bass loaded and holographic at least for my taste. Are smooth and some might say too smooth.

May 6, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #4,416 of 6,740
Got the Apple CCK in the mail so I could finally connect it to the Black Label via USB. Kinda shocked to find out that I could actually hear a difference in the sound vs. the Lightning dongle. Latter sounded a bit grainier, I suppose? Like there was this minor harshness to some guitars for example.

May 6, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #4,417 of 6,740
It’s not a disagreement. More of opinions and tastes. It’s like food. Some like pizza some don’t. What the Feliks amps are not is transparent, bass loaded and holographic at least for my taste. Are smooth and some might say too smooth.
Someone I know took delivery of an Echo yesterday and remarked it was smooth. Used the comparison, if the Bottlehead Crack is Fostex, then the Echo is ZMF (to highlight the difference in smoothness between the amps).

As you say, all about opinion. I love smooth so sounds right up my street. But completely understand what I like others might dislike.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4,418 of 6,740
Someone I know took delivery of an Echo yesterday and remarked it was smooth. Used the comparison, if the Bottlehead Crack is Fostex, then the Echo is ZMF (to highlight the difference in smoothness between the amps).

As you say, all about opinion. I love smooth so sounds right up my street. But completely understand what I like others might dislike.
I imagine the tubes used in the Echo can make a big difference, and I know they do in the BHC from past experience.

May 6, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #4,419 of 6,740
The point is that the amps are not just smooth. My experience is that are not detailed and/or transparent and their bass control is poor. The Verite is smooth but very detailed. So, smooth is not a universal characteristic but more of an attribute which you have to examine in context. The best way to discribe the Felix amps is as expensive tone control where highs and lows are rolled off with levels of second order distortion that sound pleasing

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #4,420 of 6,740
The point is that the amps are not just smooth. My experience is that are not detailed and/or transparent and their bass control is poor. The Verite is smooth but very detailed. So, smooth is not a universal characteristic but more of an attribute which you have to examine in context. The best way to discribe the Felix amps is as expensive tone control where highs and lows are rolled off with levels of second order distortion that sound pleasing
With the stock tubes I presume?

May 6, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #4,421 of 6,740
So if I buy a pair of Aeolus, which amps should I take a look at? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back