ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,841 of 6,741
Day 3 of the Aeolus vs Auteur sound comparison and i had almost lost faith in the Aeolus. At the beginning of the week it sounded veiled, the low treble was just plain bad , sibilant and there was a bit of bloom down low. So for the first 2 days i favoured the Auteur. But then i realised my listening room is really cold and my amps/dacs need a good 1-2h to warm up. So tonight i left them on for a good 3h before comparing, and wow :dt880smile: I did not think it would make such a difference, but the sound is night and day. Clear, adequate treble extension without the sibilance. Vocals are even more natural, the timbre has improved and i can't stop bouncing my head with the music. In the Auteurs defense it still excels in it's neutrality, and i might need to buy a B-stock or demo once november comes around.

I'am almost 100% sure that i will be ordering a pair of Aeolus, and my dealer even has cocobolo LTD for sale. My wallet keeps getting deeper as these days go by. :smile_phones:
That’s good; usually it is “deep pockets, short arms”...

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,842 of 6,741
I'm sorry to hear that, you story is very touching. If @zach915m could do some magic, like giving you the chance to buy a demo or a b-stock version, I would be willing to contribute and cover the shipping fees for you.
I'm very grateful for the gesture, but even if this was a possibility, I haven't done anything at all to deserve anything like that - and while I should have some extra euros in my hands later this year once my insurance company finally pays up, it'll be a few hundred max and until then I'm making "rent vs everything else" type of decisions every month. I'm sure there are people here who'd be actually deserving of something like that - honestly, I'm not.

I forgot to include this; Bevin, knowing my then-starting health struggles included in my suede headband order a ZMF coaster with a hand-written get well soon -message on the backside. How many companies do you know of that do something like that? You constantly get the feeling that they genuinely care. Rarely is customer support actually just really supportive.

Not to sound like a total shill, but I also know of a friend who bought I think an Atticus pair 2nd hand, which then proceeded to have a driver issue. Despite the warranty not being transferable, @zach915m still respected it and offered to fix the headphones free of charge. That sort of stuff makes it easier to buy headphones costing over a thousand € - knowing that ZMF has your back. Also noteworthy I think, is that I've yet to hear a single horror story about ZMF. Just about every other company has atleast a few bad experiences that you hear about. With ZMF, it's just people telling me how nice the people at ZMF are, and how good the support is. The worst I've heard is people complaining about having to wait a few weeks, but that's not exactly a shock considering it's handmade artesan headphones we're talking about here.

On another note, this might be known to everyone already - but to anyone thinking of getting the Aeolus; please get universe perforated suede pads! I think the pad change really unleashes the Aeolus' hidden potential. I was personally shocked by how much detail and resolution the headphones were hiding. If nothing else, you'll have access to a more balanced and detailed listening experience at your disposal at the change of a pad - two headphones in one!

I swear I'm done kissing Zach's bottom for good now! I've been wanting to say all this for a while now, but my mind's been preoccupied with just survival and trying to find the right headphones for people I know. The Aeolus and Zach & Bevin helped me get through some pretty awful stuff, including some pretty bad diagnoses, and left a huge impression on me that I'll carry with me until the end. Even my "once-I-win-the-lottery" dream set has gone from Susvara to a Verite C ltd & Pendant. I've gone full-on fanboy!

Edit: fixed pad recommendation

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,843 of 6,741
On another note, this might be known to everyone already - but to anyone thinking of getting the Aeolus; please get universe suede pads! I think the pad change really unleashes the Aeolus' hidden potential. I was personally shocked by how much detail and resolution the headphones were hiding. If nothing else, you'll have access to a more balanced and detailed listening experience at your disposal at the change of a pad - two headphones in one!

Are you referring to the Universal Suede non-perforated, perforated or straight suede? There are so many options. I think the resounding favorite is the perforated.

Thanks and I hope all goes as best as possible for you.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,844 of 6,741
Are you referring to the Universal Suede non-perforated, perforated or straight suede? There are so many options. I think the resounding favorite is the perforated.

Thanks and I hope all goes as best as possible for you.

You should always use perforated pads with Aeolus (and probably all ZMF open-backs). I tried non-perforated pads on my Aeolus once, and it was not good.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,848 of 6,741
I too would like to contribute towards Smoothbure's set of Aeolus.
C'mon, it is clear that this would bring you a lot of happiness so why not accept a small gift from friends?
I just feel that there are tons of people actually deserving of such help, while I'm a literal nobody, and definitely not the best person out there. The greatest achievement of my life is youth work volunteering, while others are doing genuinely incredible things. Really, all I've got is that I've gotten a bit of a crap hand dealt to me, but I'm still far better off than many others.

On another note, I realised I didn't mention how much the Aeolus likes tubes. I had a bit of a revelation when I found a 2nd hand Little Dot MK3 and got some aftermarket tubes for it. The mids got even creamier, bass gained impact, and the soundstage got wider. Even a pretty cheap amp like the LD made an obvious difference. I can only imagine what a Pendant or Mogwai could do. I absolutely recommend feeding ZMF headphones with some tubes.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,850 of 6,741
Hi! I have to ask you how the aeolus compliment the verite? I’m most likely going either Aeolus or Auteur or maybe just straight for the Verite Closed as i have heard it sounds great.

To be honest with you, I'm not using the Verite Closed anymore these days because I prefer the Aeolus and the Grado Hemp with my music. I got the VC after the Aeolus because I was curious to hear the difference, but I still prefer the Aeolus. I don't consider myself a true audiophile person, and as long as a minimum ability is reached, then I'm happy. And I can tell you that the Aeolus are more than enough for my needs, because my threshold for the technical details is the HD6XX. Don't get me wrong, the VC are very good headphones and they are the standout technical king of all the headphones that I have, but they cannot touch the Aeolus for the mids and the fun factor, and I find it the least engaging versus the Aeolus and the Hemp.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,851 of 6,741
To be honest with you, I'm not using the Verite Closed anymore these days because I prefer the Aeolus and the Grado Hemp with my music. I got the VC after the Aeolus because I was curious to hear the difference, but I still prefer the Aeolus. I don't consider myself a true audiophile person, and as long as a minimum ability is reached, then I'm happy. And I can tell you that the Aeolus are more than enough for my needs, because my threshold for the technical details is the HD6XX. Don't get me wrong, the VC are very good headphones and they are the standout technical king of all the headphones that I have, but they cannot touch the Aeolus for the mids and the fun factor, and I find it the least engaging versus the Aeolus and the Hemp.
I think this is a good example of how the Aeolus isn't really inferior to the more expensive ZMF headphones - just different, with different priorities and tuning. You never get the feeling that you're handling or listening to anything but a TOTL pair of cans.

I don't think there's anything in existance that could replace the Aeolus. How a boutique manufacturer has managed that is still a mystery to me.

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #3,852 of 6,741

I'm probably in a similar camp with you enjoying the Aeolus even more than the Verite, despite the more technical prowess of the Verite driver. How does the Hemp compare? It seems like something I may enjoy, but I've never really gotten into any Grados.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,853 of 6,741
I'm probably in a similar camp with you enjoying the Aeolus even more than the Verite, despite the more technical prowess of the Verite driver. How does the Hemp compare? It seems like something I may enjoy, but I've never really gotten into any Grados.

The Grado Hemp are amazing headphones. They sound like a faster and more engaging version of the HD6XX with the Grado energy in the mids, and the punch of the ZMF headphones. It's almost like a junior version of the Aeolus blended with the old Grado RS1.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #3,854 of 6,741
How a boutique manufacturer has managed that is still a mystery to me.

I agree with you, the Aeolus are my favorite headphones ever and I have heard pretty much everything out there in the last 30 years.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #3,855 of 6,741
You can call me crazy but I like Aeolus more than VC or VO. This is my 3rd pair of Aeolus lol.
20210304_201540.jpg
20210304_202428.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back