ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 27, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #3,421 of 6,741
Enjoy the heck out of these babies :D
Just got done with a 3 hour listening session using those babies, and as usual it was pure bliss. :o2smile:

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #3,423 of 6,741
Do you use the Bottlehead Crack or Liquid Platinum for the Aeolus? Would be really curious what the difference are between those amps (especially bass and soundstage) since both of them are recommended often.
HI there,

I use both equally. My Liquid Platinum has a cap mod, and really high end tubes, and I feel it drives my Aeolus to the full potential and it is an amazing combo, that leaves me wanting nothing. The sound is very lifelike, punchy and the stage is wide, deep and holographic with the LP. With the BHC and high end tubes, the stage is wide but not as holographic or deep, and the bass is a bit more bloomy. Everything is a bit more diffused and smooth sounding with the BHC, and I can listen for hours. The bass hits harder and tighter with the LP, and the mids are more forward (especially vocals), and the detail is there in spades. I don't get as much detail with the BHC, but it makes up for that with it's smoothness. Basically, with these 2 amps I am completely satisfied and I pick each amp depending on my mood and type of music I am listening to. However, if I could only have one it would be the LP, because is sounds the most lifelike and has the best technical abilities, while still being completely musical. Tubes can alter the sound on both amps, but will not turn them into a different amp, and I use a Gungnir Multibit DAC with both.

Hope that helps a bit. :o2smile:

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #3,424 of 6,741
HI there,

I use both equally. My Liquid Platinum has a cap mod, and really high end tubes, and I feel it drives my Aeolus to the full potential and it is an amazing combo, that leaves me wanting nothing. The sound is very lifelike, punchy and the stage is wide, deep and holographic with the LP. With the BHC and high end tubes, the stage is wide but not as holographic or deep, and the bass is a bit more bloomy. Everything is a bit more diffused and smooth sounding with the BHC, and I can listen for hours. The bass hits harder and tighter with the LP, and the mids are more forward (especially vocals), and the detail is there in spades. I don't get as much detail with the BHC, but it makes up for that with it's smoothness. Basically, with these 2 amps I am completely satisfied and I pick each amp depending on my mood and type of music I am listening to. However, if I could only have one it would be the LP, because is sounds the most lifelike and has the best technical abilities, while still being completely musical. Tubes can alter the sound on both amps, but will not turn them into a different amp, and I use a Gungnir Multibit DAC with both.

Hope that helps a bit. :o2smile:

Oh yeah that helps, you even answered questions i didn't even think of yet, thank you very very much!

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #3,425 of 6,741
Oh yeah that helps, you even answered questions i didn't even think of yet, thank you very very much!
Glad to be of help!

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #3,427 of 6,741
Comfy, aren't they? After three hours you could probably tell whether they are or not :)
They sure are! I have all suede on mine, and they disappear on my head.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,428 of 6,741
A few pictures of my Aeolus in situ. Santa arrived this year with a Pendant that has catapulted both the Aeolus and the Auteur into a new league from where they were. The only problem now is my Naim DAC, the failings/limitations of which being quite apparent in some areas. Listening to Pendulum's Immersion right now on this new combo and it is mind-bendingly good.

ZMF-Aeolus_Auteur_Pendant.jpg

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #3,429 of 6,741
A few pictures of my Aeolus in situ. Santa arrived this year with a Pendant that has catapulted both the Aeolus and the Auteur into a new league from where they were. The only problem now is my Naim DAC, the failings/limitations of which being quite apparent in some areas. Listening to Pendulum's Immersion right now on this new combo and it is mind-bendingly good.

ZMF-Aeolus_Auteur_Pendant.jpg
Love the wood on that pendant, very nice man!

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3,431 of 6,741

Awesomeness! I can only imagine how good the Aeolus sound with that gorgeous amp.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #3,433 of 6,741
The only problem now is my Naim DAC, the failings/limitations of which being quite apparent in some areas.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you're missing with it? I always liked Naim, hence the question :).

They sure are! I have all suede on mine, and they disappear on my head.

Enjoy :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,434 of 6,741
Can you elaborate a bit on what you're missing with it? I always liked Naim, hence the question :).

Enjoy :)

Yes, of course.

Firstly, I enjoy many of the qualities of the Naim DAC V1, this is actually my second unit (built in 2020, the last production batch prior to being discontinued by Naim). My first unit was a 2014 build. As a single box solution it's extremely capable - using as a single box the edgy-ness of the DAC is nicely controlled. The DAC V1 is noted for its excellent PRaT and it has great slam and attack, but it is not the last word in detail and with particularly complex passages it can sound a little muddled. It has a slightly strange mix of being both dark and etched sounding. It can also sound quite clinical and hard, not organic. At times, that might be precisely what is sought; EDM, synths etc., can sound quite phenomenal with the DAC V1.

When output to a separate amp many of the positives are retained, but without the control and trickery achieved by the single box - the etched quality is quite pronounced, it can be very edgy to the point that volume trimming becomes essential, but it does retain the attack etc.. However, it's missing some of the micro detail that is evident from a Chord Mojo or a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. However, those two DAC's just lack the slam and attack that the DAC V1 has in spades. All of these aspects are increased when I use silver interconnects and AQ Carbon USB. The negative qualities are tempered a little by running copper interconnects and basic optical cable, the silver cabling is just too revealing (or just accentuates the highs too much).

I'm in the market for all of the above qualities minus that etched and edgy aspect, it's problematic for me for the main music I listen to (metal).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3,435 of 6,741
I'm using the Aeolus with a Liquid Platinum. A stock tube died and I need a replacement pair. Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back