ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 17, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,787 of 6,740
I think the word is getting out... There's 41 people in the Aeolus queue now. Well done Zach.

I heard the pair that he loaned to our Head-Fi meet in Phoenix last Spring and knew I would own a pair someday. The Blackwood LTD was the push I needed.

... patiently waiting my turn in the queue...

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,788 of 6,740
(not sure if there are any forum rules against this....)
Just wanted to mention that I will be selling my Elekit TU-8600 300B amp.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/elekit-tu-8600-300b-set-amp-with-lundahl-output-transformers.915345/

Relevant to this thread because this amp pairs wonderfully with the Aeolus and probably any ZMF. Output tube is a 300B (8W to 8ohm) so can provide endless power to headphones.
I'm not even sure how, but the 45 SET project that I finished recently for headphones ended up costing over $2K after all transformers, tubes, chassis and unfortunately errors.... so something has to go.

There are alot of details in the listing, but feel free to ask me any questions over PM

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #1,789 of 6,740
I think the word is getting out... There's 41 people in the Aeolus queue now. Well done Zach.

I heard the pair that he loaned to our Head-Fi meet in Phoenix last Spring and knew I would own a pair someday. The Blackwood LTD was the push I needed.

... patiently waiting my turn in the queue...
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Aeolus and Pendant pairing, as that is my soon to be endgame.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,790 of 6,740
You guys were talking about burn-in. All those articles claiming to use scientific evidence to refute burn-in . . . sorry, but no. It's amazing how much more liquid the mids of my Atticus sound. Listening to the classic album "Honky Tonk Heroes" by Waylon Jennings. Blissed out.

I'll put it like this. I once bought a very expensive flattop acoustic guitar, and the dude at the store was describing the break-in process. He said that I had to remember that a few months ago, my guitar still thought it was a tree! That's why it reacted so strongly to changes in humidity at first and just needed time to settle.

I think it's the same for electronics with all these complicated moving parts. They all started as separate components, and it just takes them time to learn to operate together at their most efficient.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,791 of 6,740
You guys were talking about burn-in. All those articles claiming to use scientific evidence to refute burn-in . . . sorry, but no. It's amazing how much more liquid the mids of my Atticus sound. Listening to the classic album "Honky Tonk Heroes" by Waylon Jennings. Blissed out.

I'll put it like this. I once bought a very expensive flattop acoustic guitar, and the dude at the store was describing the break-in process. He said that I had to remember that a few months ago, my guitar still thought it was a tree! That's why it reacted so strongly to changes in humidity at first and just needed time to settle.

I think it's the same for electronics with all these complicated moving parts. They all started as separate components, and it just takes them time to learn to operate together at their most efficient.
Brilliant, and very poetic, way of describing burn-in. Not everything can be measured. Thanks

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #1,792 of 6,740
In reference to burn in, I am a believer as I heard it happen with a tube in a Little Dot amp a few years back. About the second session that I was using a nos tube, the music suddenly sounded clearer and had a less scratchy tone to it. I touched no controls and nothing made contact with the amp. It just happened and I heard it. And it stayed that way from that point onward.

Right now I am burning in my Sapele Aeolus. 30 more hours and it will be at 100.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #1,793 of 6,740
Tonight I had an Ah Ha moment with my Aeolus. After 100 hours of burn in and about 10 hours of head time I was pleased with their sound, but not completely wowed like some of you guys are.

Today I watched a Auteur review and the reviewer was talking about his pad rolls that he tried on the Auteur. I had a pair of Auteur pads laying around so I thought why not try them on the Aeolus.

A match made in heaven to my ears. It gave the sound more body and the sound stage and imaging were excellent as well. A WOW moment for sure.

Has anyone else rolled Auteur pads on your Aeolus?

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,794 of 6,740
Tonight I had an Ah Ha moment with my Aeolus. After 100 hours of burn in and about 10 hours of head time I was pleased with their sound, but not completely wowed like some of you guys are.

Today I watched a Auteur review and the reviewer was talking about his pad rolls that he tried on the Auteur. I had a pair of Auteur pads laying around so I thought why not try them on the Aeolus.

A match made in heaven to my ears. It gave the sound more body and the sound stage and imaging were excellent as well. A WOW moment for sure.

Has anyone else rolled Auteur pads on your Aeolus?
Which ones? Suede or leather perf?

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,797 of 6,740
I want to thank the folks that recommended the Auteur suede perforated pad to pair with the Aeolus, for me that is the winner! I had tried out the stock and universe perforated suede previously, and had a hard time settling on one. I found myself switching between them a lot based on what I was listening to or what gear I was using. The warmth and timbre of the stock was intoxicating, and universe perf suede was more comfortable and I like the more neutral presentation but it killed some of the bass character I really enjoyed. The Auteur suede perf is a best of both worlds scenario for me with the bonus of a much wider soundstage. If I had to pick a negative, it would be that it seemed to make things a bit more laid back, but I think that was due to the extra air/soundstage, just puts you a few more rows back. In particular if you want to chase a more expansive soundstage, I would highly recommend checking out the Auteur suede perf.

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,798 of 6,740
I want to thank the folks that recommended the Auteur suede perforated pad to pair with the Aeolus, for me that is the winner! I had tried out the stock and universe perforated suede previously, and had a hard time settling on one. I found myself switching between them a lot based on what I was listening to or what gear I was using. The warmth and timbre of the stock was intoxicating, and universe perf suede was more comfortable and I like the more neutral presentation but it killed some of the bass character I really enjoyed. The Auteur suede perf is a best of both worlds scenario for me with the bonus of a much wider soundstage. If I had to pick a negative, it would be that it seemed to make things a bit more laid back, but I think that was due to the extra air/soundstage, just puts you a few more rows back. In particular if you want to chase a more expansive soundstage, I would highly recommend checking out the Auteur suede perf.
Damn! You just pushed me over the edge, and I am gonna get a pair of those, for sure. I love a big and wide stage!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,799 of 6,740
Damn! You just pushed me over the edge, and I am gonna get a pair of those, for sure. I love a big and wide stage!

I think you will enjoy them based on your previous feedback. If I am nitpicking, they may make the sound just ever so slightly analytical compared to stock, but the trade-off is worth it in my opinion. With the warmth you have in your audio chain, it should be a negligible difference.

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,800 of 6,740
I listened with the stock Aeolus pad for a few weeks and the bass is definitely great with this pad. When I switched to the universe suede perf the first thing I noticed was the noticeably large cut in the bass/body/impact. It did open the sound up quite a bit and the suede perf pads are super comfy.

Given some of the recent impressions of the Auteur pad giving the best of both worlds with the added bonus of a wider soundstage, I just might have to jump on this Auteur pad bandwagon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back