ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 1, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,336 of 6,740
ZMF VÉRITÉ SILVER vs ZMF 2K COPPER
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/verite-silver
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/zmf-2k-copper-rbzz4

Okay boys and girls, here's a brief write up on the Verite Silver and 2K Copper cables. Just for note, my Verite Silver cable is 2-strand and un-sleeved and my 2K Copper cable is sleeved. Price wise these two configurations are the same. Also be aware that all 2-strand Verite Silver cables are pure silver with a 2K copper core. 4-strand Verite Silver cables can be configured with all pure silver (or hybrid).

BUILD

Both cables are well constructed and have several different options for upgraded connectors/splitters/sleevings. Mine have all basic connectors/splitters, but they still look and feel excellent. The biggest difference by far is the 2-strand Verite Silver cable extremely light and flexible. It barely feels like you have a cable attached to your headphones. The 2K Copper cable only comes in a 4-strand configuration and is much more robust (even more so with a sleeve). I never found it to be that cumbersome, but depending on you preferences that could be a factor.

SOUND

Here we go again... Just to get this out of the way, I do in fact believe headphone cables can in fact contribute an audible difference. However, the differences are in very subtle quantities. If you're looking to change the sound of a pair of headphones, the cable should be at the very bottom of your priorities. That being said, I found the Verite Silver cable compared to the 2K Copper cable to provide a tad more airiness and better refinement the treble region. The trade-off is there is a slight loss of low end heft, but it isn't that significant. The 2K Copper in comparison has a smoother presentation up top and a heftier bottom end than the Verite Silver. I primarily used my Zircote Verite and Blackwood Auteur when comparing these cables, and ended up pairing of the Verite w/Verite cable and the Auteur w/2K Copper. I felt those combinations matched up the best for my preferences.

CONCLUSION

So which one should you buy? Well both is the correct answer, but I suppose if you only need one I can't recommend one over the other. I suggest you try to match up what fits in your chain the best and choose accordingly. Both are fantastic premium cables at a reasonable price. The wait/build time is also very good compared to many other headphone cable makers.

***Also as of this post's date until JULY 1ST, the VERITE SILVER cables are 20% off!***

The whole gang...

Wow nice grain you have on the Aeolus,

Can’t wait to see how mine turns out..

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,337 of 6,740
2019-04-21 07.53.26.jpg

A bubinga Aeolus.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,341 of 6,740
I'll spend some time over the weekend listening to both with the Aeolus and will post some highlights... will do my best as I'm not always able to convey what I hear in words!

In effort to stay on topic I won't go into an in-depth comparison of each of the amps (BH Mainline vs Elekit TU-8600R-VK), but will mention some of the differences with the Aeolus (with Universe Perf Suede)
I live in the Seattle area and there is a great local radio station, KEXP. I often discover new bands from their in-studio live performances on their YouTube channel. (I like all genres of rock, alt. rock, etc). I've been enjoying these performances alot with the Aeolus so thought they would be good candidates for comparison.These are 2 examples: Now Now, Camp Cope
It's a bit ironic as I'm typically snobbish about my own CD's ripped to FLAC.

Anyhow these were some of the improvements I've noticed on the TU-8600:
-Instruments sound meatier and bass slams harder
-Imaging and layering is better - easily identify where everything is located left to right and front to back
-Deeper sound stage - voice was clearly in front and drums in the back. It's not that the drums sounded distant, but there were clearly located behind the singer, as opposed to the Mainline which was more 2D.

Combine these together and its not an insignificant difference, you can almost feel in the room right there with the band.
One other thing that is apparent is that the TU-8600 is least harsh/shrill amp I've ever heard. The Aeolus still sounds bright and detailed but never gets uncomfortable (which can happen occasionally on the Mainline). I think this allows you to listen to music slightly louder without sounding fatiguing.

The Aeolus tone stays pretty much the same on both these tube amps (and also on the SS amp I own), but the listening experience can change greatly between a dry, clinical presentation (the SS amp), to musical and very addicting.

Final notes:
- The Elekit costs twice as much as the Mainline (with standard tubes and stock caps. It can get much pricier with high end 300B's and some Jupiter or V-Cap's)
- These are the only 2 tube amps I've ever heard! The mainline is known not to have a typical tube amp presentation, so perhaps the things I've experienced with the Elekit can be found on much cheaper tube amps.
- The Aeolus with the right amp is heavenly. I did not feel this way about them before the Elekit. It seems like SET amps (2A3, 300B) are a perfect match (ateast for my tastes)

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,343 of 6,740
After a long time of researching my next headphone, I finally decided on the Aelous. I'm wondering what head-strap option is best. The lambskin or the Suede?
I wear a 6 5/8" hat size, and with the suede strap, I still have 2 clicks left to go smaller. I also, have the leather strap on my Ori, and Blackwood, and after a while, they both hurt the top of the my head. With the suede strap, I can wear the Aeolus, all day, without any pain at all. So if you have a smallish head, I would recommend the suede. I think people with bigger heads, can wear the leather without issue, due to the leather touching more of the head, which distributes the weight better.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,346 of 6,740
FedEx guy just called me about my delivery

Highly anticipated..:D

Congratulations, you’re going to love them!

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #1,347 of 6,740
I wear a 6 5/8" hat size, and with the suede strap, I still have 2 clicks left to go smaller. I also, have the leather strap on my Ori, and Blackwood, and after a while, they both hurt the top of the my head. With the suede strap, I can wear the Aeolus, all day, without any pain at all. So if you have a smallish head, I would recommend the suede. I think people with bigger heads, can wear the leather without issue, due to the leather touching more of the head, which distributes the weight better.

Thanks. I have went with the suede head-strap as well. Order placed! Can't wait :L3000:

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,349 of 6,740
Thanks. I have went with the suede head-strap as well. Order placed! Can't wait :L3000:
You will love that suede strap. It is so comfortable.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,350 of 6,740
Best song I have heard so far, with my Aeolus, Gumby, and LP!

Tidal Master - Beck - End of The Day

Wow! I have never heard this song, sound so freakin good.

Sea Change is an incredible album. “Already Dead”, “Paper Tiger” and “Sunday Sun” are great tracks too!

I finally set up a good day for my buddy to come over to my house to hear my audio set up. We planned on listening some and then walk to a near by cigar lounge to smoke a stogie and eat massive pastrami sandwich :heart_eyes:

Needless to say he was loving the sound so much we didn’t eat til around 9... I let him choose the music since “good sound” was totally new to him. He asked if I ever heard “Debra” by Beck, and I was surprised I never heard it before. I thought it was sweet!!

We had been switching back and forth headphones while listening to different tracks. By the time Debra came on he had the Aeolus on. He said to me “I don’t think I want to give these back...” and he was cheesin. The Aeolus was the stand out of the night for him easily... I highly recommend hearin that track with the Aeolus if you aren’t familiar with it. Very funny lyrics and it has such a funky vibe to it that the Aeolus has no problems showing off.

It’s really nice to share the hobby with someone new to it. Here’s a pic from the night that he snapped- 03AF59D9-3FF2-4B48-BED5-51D27798AFDB.jpeg
Looking at the photo now I think it sums up both headphones well. HD800 for when you wanna think, and the Aeolus when you want to JAM ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back