ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #781 of 6,740
There are some descriptions onothe website. The pads have the same ear volume but the verite pad brings the driver closer to the ear than the universe pad does. Physically, the verite pad should look shorter and flatter because the front and back height are closer to each other. Measurements are 0.75 and 0.8 inch heights where the universe is 0.8 and 1 inch heights.

This. Verite pads are now the flattest ZMF pads. The Universe pads used to be, and that's where I think some confusion came in (even for myself for quite a while).

I thought the Aeolus came with Universe and Verite pads?

Aeolus comes with just one set of pads. The stock Aeolus pads are the perforated lambskin Universe pads. However, you can add the Verite pads (which I highly recommend) or you could request just the Verite pads (or some other variation if wanted). Just an FYI for any potential ZMF buyers, Zach is really accommodating when adding/custom tailoring any accessories for a headphone purchase. If need be you can always e-mail him and he will get back to you in a timely manner.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #782 of 6,740
Yes, it is Universe (my bad). These are borrowed, so I can't tell you which pads come w/it when purchased. No doubt someone else here can chime in on that...
When purchased the did indeed have the 'stock' pads...whether they're called 'universe' or 'Aeolus' pads I'm not entirely sure...I'll check the receipt & get back to you.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #783 of 6,740
It actually doesn't say....the order sheet said:

Order Summary

Aeolus
SQ2384177
ZMF OFC (60) / NO
Stock Cable Specs:
1/4"
Upgrade Cable Specs:
4 Pin XLR

But the website does say this (emphasis obviously added)

Atticus + Aeolus Specs
  • Frequency Response: Approximately 10 Hz to 25 KHZ

• Impedance: 300 Ohms

• Sensitivity: 99 dB/mW

• Warranty: Lifetime for Driver, 3 years parts and mechanical

• Weight (est.): Atticus = 490g, Aeolus = 445g

• Pads: Ori (Atticus), Universe (Aeolus)

• Case: Seahorse SE 430
So it's the Universe pads as heliosphann said.

Mar 10, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #785 of 6,740
So the general concensus is that Verite pads are the one to go for over stock Aeolus/Universe pads?

It's all a matter of preference of course...some will prefer the more lush Universe pads I'm sure.

The Verite pads so make Aeolus sound more 'dry', which may or may not be to your liking, depending on your chain etc.

I think it's an awesome option for a different sonic flavor

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #786 of 6,740
I prefer the Universe pads on my Aeolus because the Verite pads bring the sound signature closer to my other headphones. I bought the Aeolus to have a completely different sound signature, so I prefer the Universe pads. Also, the top of my left ear rubs against the Verite pad and that is annoying.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #787 of 6,740
I prefer the Universe pads on my Aeolus because the Verite pads bring the sound signature closer to my other headphones. I bought the Aeolus to have a completely different sound signature, so I prefer the Universe pads. Also, the top of my left ear rubs against the Verite pad and that is annoying.
That's my goal too...something completely different.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #788 of 6,740
I ordered my Aeolus with the Verite pads to start with. I thought it might sound too much like my 650s with the Universe pads, but I could be wrong about that. Still watching the spreadsheet and waiting for the awesomeness to get here.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #790 of 6,740
I got in on the pre-order in December. I placed the order on 12/15 I think. Now I’m number 42 on the list out of 84 people. At this rate, I hope to receive my pair in April. So if you order the Aeolus, it will probably take a good 3-4 months.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #793 of 6,740
I should ideally be getting my pair this week and I ordered them on 12/12. So that’s about a 3 month wait for me as well.

I did see the Verite’s being produced a little bit quicker though on the spreadsheet so the wait time could be lower or higher person to person. It’s worth the wait though for the craftsmanship. Each pair is unique and given a great deal of extra care that you won’t get elsewhere. ZMF cans are not boring assembly line cans with character of a ziplock bag. They have soul and tons of flair!

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #794 of 6,740
So the general concensus is that Verite pads are the one to go for over stock Aeolus/Universe pads?
i plan on starting with the Stock Universe pads, and then getting the Verite pads latter, to switch things up. I want to hear the stock version first.
I should ideally be getting my pair this week and I ordered them on 12/12. So that’s about a 3 month wait for me as well.

I did see the Verite’s being produced a little bit quicker though on the spreadsheet so the wait time could be lower or higher person to person. It’s worth the wait though for the craftsmanship. Each pair is unique and given a great deal of extra care that you won’t get elsewhere. ZMF cans are not boring assembly line cans with character of a ziplock bag. They have soul and tons of flair!
The wait time depends, on which ZMF headphone you order.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #795 of 6,740
Checking the ZMF website, found this on the Aeolus page.
  • Universe Pads or Verite Pads

• VÉRITÉ pads (optional for linearity)
Someone else also pointed this out but I wanted to quote this because of the linearity impression for the Verite pads. Has anyone tried the Universe Suede Pads? I've seen some interesting measurements for them and they seem to be the most linear option for those who want it.

As always, it's good to get multiple impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back