ZiShan DSDs HiFi Player Thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #76 of 119
I Myself would write To the developer if I new who they are..
You can contact him on QQ but in Chinese only, also be careful any critics and he will block you or remove you from his group. He is in God mode and nobody is allowed to speak against him. I suggest jut take what you have, like it or leave it.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #77 of 119
I just happened to find a DSDs owner! I own the dual 4497 model. I still can’t determine where the turbo mode is. Is it default/high quality Or full speed switch?
i keep looking for older/ alternative firmware if any. I tried 0.5b,0.5c. They sound the same, except 0.5c fixed the volume down control. The only one complaint I have is that it cuts the beginning of the tracks Cue files are used. I wish it were fixed In a next firmware. I Myself would write To the developer if I new who they are..
There is no point, he is a "upper class" communist business man, so unless you are his superior or his profits are hurt, talking to such a person wouldn't make a difference.

Basically, just don't buy a dsd or dsds if you are not looking for a diy device to learn on.
There are lots of used players that have much better sound quality for the same amount of money.
I tried, it was fun, I still use my dsd often, specially at work, I switched the opamps, some ldos and played with capacitors but at the end, I realised that I had spent more then $120 on modifications , bringing the price up to around $270
For 250 I bought a brand new dx120 (better Soundstage, no sub bass roll off, possibility to use fidalizer)
I could Also buy a used dx150 for 270
The dx150 has replaceable amp cards that are easily modded, and they have one that youses nutubes
Plus the fidalizer app I have read about seems to take it to another level
So there is not point, if you want Soundstage, sound quality and usability, find a good used player
This is basically a diy player for people that can't afford a brand new player capable of dsd or want to study, practice and learn
No body on this forum really explains this, so I am sure a lot of people are mislead into thinking this is really a budget monster that is better then a fiio x5ii or ibasso dx90, it's not, it's actually fairly far behind in terms of sound quality
It's fairly obvious considering the very high output impedance (colours everything except higher impedance dynamic drivers) the output caps(filtering out a few dB of precious sub bass) and firmware that is un touchable.
So if you are looking for better sound, sell what you've got, forget zishan and take a look at a good used ibasso

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #78 of 119
hello Forum, my first post here. I have a question. I have ordered a DSDs dual 4497 DAP at AE, from NiceHCK. It is on its way.

I am a bit confused about the DAC specifications, what does this number mean: CS43198? Is this part of the DAC, or a substitute for the AK4497 DAC?

And a second question, what would be a nice second DAP next to the dual 4497? The single 4499 DSDs, or a T1? Something with a different character or signature.

My reference for a DAC is a Mojo Chord for my stereo system, and Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, and a M-Audio Delta 44 for my computers. Headphone is a Grado SR-80 and AKG K271mk2. Nothing high-grade.

bye, Jeroen

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #80 of 119
That's right, AK versions have been sold out for a while on AE- likely sue to AKM factory fire. They are also more expensive.

You should message the seller if you don't want CS version but it might be too late if they shipped it already.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #81 of 119
Okay, thanks!

I had read about the dual 4497 so I ordered it spontaneously. AE is not so clear about the products they offer, multiple suppliers and versions. After my order I read a bit more about the subject.

What can I expect from the CS version, will it be much different than dual 4497? Are there any field reports?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #83 of 119
@raabje , you ordered Cirrus Logic (CS) version of DSDs AK 4497 and probably 4499 is unavailable right now.
It's cheaper than AK and have a different sound signature due some changes in design and DAC itself. I can't compare side-by side but I have Zishan U1 with single CS DAC and sounds good.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #84 of 119
Okay, thanks. I read about the fire at the AK factory, bad story.

From a review about Shanling M1/M2/M3 I understand that the AK chip (4490) has the "Velvet sound", the Sabre 9023 is neutral and analytical, and the CS43198 is in between. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sh...ifi-lossless-music-player-black.21860/reviews. I am curious about the DSDs with the dual CS43198. If that's what I will get, no idea what will be inside. First thing I will do is open the chassis to check the DAC.

My headphones aren't stellar, they are probably a limiting factor at the moment, I should get something better in near future, looking at Focal Elear or Senheisser HD660S, but no need to hurry.

edit: I see on the NiceHCK webpage at AE an updated text about the DSDs4497, about the fire in the factory and unavailability of AK chips. Also the 4499 model has an updated text, DAC not available and a warning about battery drain or something. I am not sure this text was there when I ordered my DSD.

Hi friends ,

Due to the fire in the AKM factory, the AKM chip is out of stock, and the cost has soared.
Zishan only CS43198 chip version in stock now , AKM AK4497/4499 chip version is out of stock .
we sent is CS43198 chip version , hope you can understanding ,thank you .
Compared with Zishan DSD, newest DSDs upgrades the following aspects:

• DSDs adopts dualCS43198 chips.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #85 of 119
Okay, thanks. I read about the fire at the AK factory, bad story.

From a review about Shanling M1/M2/M3 I understand that the AK chip (4490) has the "Velvet sound", the Sabre 9023 is neutral and analytical, and the CS43198 is in between. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sh...ifi-lossless-music-player-black.21860/reviews. I am curious about the DSDs with the dual CS43198. If that's what I will get, no idea what will be inside. First thing I will do is open the chassis to check the DAC.

My headphones aren't stellar, they are probably a limiting factor at the moment, I should get something better in near future, looking at Focal Elear or Senheisser HD660S, but no need to hurry.

I found a Zishan Z1 player at AE for 26 euro, is this still a good deal these days? Just to have laying around in the house or my car as a second DAP? Or is this redundant if you own a DSDs already.

edit: I see on the NiceHCK webpage at AE an updated text about the DSDs4497, about the fire in the factory and unavailability of AK chips. Also the 4499 model has an updated text, DAC not available and a warning about battery drain or something. I am not sure this text was there when I ordered my DSD.

Hi friends ,

Due to the fire in the AKM factory, the AKM chip is out of stock, and the cost has soared.
Zishan only CS43198 chip version in stock now , AKM AK4497/4499 chip version is out of stock .
we sent is CS43198 chip version , hope you can understanding ,thank you .
Compared with Zishan DSD, newest DSDs upgrades the following aspects:

• DSDs adopts dualCS43198 chips.
Hi... this is my first post.

Accidently I ordered the cs43198 dsds. KRHIFI at AE (Korean division of NiceHCK), they titled only ak4497, but indicated cs43198 in the color option.
I didn't notice the color option, and please be careful if you want ak4497 version. In this time, you are very, very hard to get ak4497 dsds.
After my complaining to the seller, the seller changed its title to cs43198.

Anyway, I have been used cs43198 zishan dsds for 2 weeks. I am very surprised there are few reviews for zishan dual 43198 dsds.
The first impression with this dap, the sound is so flat. bass sound cannot be satisfied. high range sound seemed to be cut-out.
Also I found opa275s are missing in the cs43198 version, which ak4497 version has. it may have pros and cons, but I am worried the output power.
Anyway, I changed opamp from LM4562 to MUSES8920, bass improved. but the sound is still flat.

cs43198 is good dac chip, have a good sound. However I think the price of the ak4497 dsds cannot be similar to cs43198 dsds.
(Some day in the last year, the seller discounted ak4497 dsds to about $80, but this sale season the seller priced $85 for dual cs43198 dsds, though cs43198 is cheaper than ak4497.)
I don't want to blame zishan for producing cs43198 chips, because the fire of AK factory is not their fault.
But the seller is different, I think at least they should mention cs43198 is good dac chip. (Hiby sellers do this.)

Please be careful to read all descriptions when you buy dsds from AE.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #86 of 119
Future87, thanks for sharing your experience. Flat sound, less bass, cut out high range... That's not so promising...

So in your opinion is it a good player but not great, or bad/mediocre and not good? What's your opinion?

I had the same experience, since I had no clue about the shortage of AK chips, in the advertisement there was a text about dual 4497/CS4318. I had no idea at all, i just ordered the DAP for 68 euro. Bummer...

But, because I was a little bit sick of this, last night I ordered a T1 with single 4497 from Ebay. I hope and guess this is old stock with a real AK4497 inside. Price was higher, about 98 euro.

The DSD 43918 and also the T1 will arive in 4 -5 weeks, so I need to be patient. If the DSD is really bad, maybe I can sent it back (with high cost...), or use it in my car, acoustics and sound system is not good anyway. Or use it for modding, but I am not an expert, no clue where to start.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #87 of 119
Future87, thanks for sharing your experience. Flat sound, less bass, cut out high range... That's not so promising...

So in your opinion is it a good player but not great, or bad/mediocre and not good? What's your opinion?

I had the same experience, since I had no clue about the shortage of AK chips, in the advertisement there was a text about dual 4497/CS4318. I had no idea at all, i just ordered the DAP for 68 euro. Bummer...

But, because I was a little bit sick of this, last night I ordered a T1 with single 4497 from Ebay. I hope and guess this is old stock with a real AK4497 inside. Price was higher, about 98 euro.

The DSD 43918 and also the T1 will arive in 4 -5 weeks, so I need to be patient. If the DSD is really bad, maybe I can sent it back (with high cost...), or use it in my car, acoustics and sound system is not good anyway. Or use it for modding, but I am not an expert, no clue where to start.
Raabje;

No, no .. I didn't say cs43198 dsds is bad.
It is completely my personal opinion, but at least I don't think it is better than dual ak4497 dsds.
The cs43198 dsds sounds good (but not impressed). Actually I only have a experience hearing $1,500 es9028 dap before.
And it is noticed that the sound sources are also very important. I listened several formats (like 16/44 (320kbps, 768kbps and more), 16/48, 24/96, 24/192, DSD64 etc.) and several music genres. Mainly I have experimented listening on the classics (strings and vocals), then rock music.
The point is dual cs43198 version cannot be the same level as dual ak4497, but I think the seller from AE still advertise that dual cs chip regards same as dual ak4497 chip. That's what I am embarrassed.

You ordered T1 with single 4497, then congratulations. You can compare the sound and tell me :).
The modding from LM4562 to MUSES8902 was good selection for me. When I use my dsds in my car and the sub woofer begins to operate after I changed to MUSES8920.
It will be better if you use muses01 or 02, but that's too much.

Hope it can help.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #88 of 119
Apr 4, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #89 of 119
Totally this! (Above)

Investing in a better op amp will really open up your DSD it will likely play ask important role in improving the sound. There’s way more to a DAP than the DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back