ZIF to IDE converter
Jun 9, 2007 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Those of us with older iPods who may want to use a larger HD (100 GB or larger) are in a bind since our older iPods use an IDE connector and the newer hard drives use the ZIF connector. Of course to most that is not much of an issue because they can pick up an used or new 5 or 5.5 iPod which has 80 GB.

However those of us who have had their 4th Gen Photo iPod iModded may not want to sell it to then buy a newer iModded version and the additional new Dock/Cable that is needed. Mind you the newer 5 and 5.5 iModded iPods are much more expensive when you consider the cost of the special Dock/Cable.

Anyways in my conversations with Vinnie of Red Wine Audio he mentioned that he had not found a ZIF to IDE converter which would make it a reality to install one of the larger hard drives on my 4th Gen iPod. I have been searching for a while and I think I finally found what I need but it is in an UK website. The link is: http://www.span.com/catalog/product_...&t=side_right1

The converter itself looks like: http://www.span.com/catalog/popup_im...2dc4b0a69432bf

So the big question is if any of you have seen this adapter being sold by a site here in the USA, and if yes where?

Vinnie I hope you see this thread and can comment as well.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 3
those of us in the iRiver world face the same sort of issues....

Here is a link to a german language PDF that shows a solution that worked for this individual.... Don't worry, the pictures are multilingual!
wink.gif

The adapter pictured would make the drive too long. Some of these adapters also convert to 2.5 inch IDE connector.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 3
well if it has an IDE connector why not install a full sized computer hard disk as you are already (due to the IMOD) carrying an amp so a hard drive and ascosiated power supply +12v and +5v would allow huge capacity's and faster song loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back