zhaolu signal drops when RCA's are plugged in
Apr 6, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so its obvious theres something about these 2 components that hate each other, im just trying to figure out what it is..

I agree. The issue is either ground of RF noise. You might wonder what RF noise can come out of an amp, but that is real. Power supplies generate a lot of noise if not carefully designed. In addition, there are other ways the combined system will pick up signals from a local radio transmitter and the individual component won't.
BTW, the ground wire is a "patch" only. It actually bypasses one of the wires in the single-ended interconnects!
I'd try step by step approach (ideally you'll do all three in any system with a digital source):
1) change to shielded power cords on both components; no sense of using the cheap crap that manufacturers bundle if you're already having such problems. You can use computer cables (the most basic shielded ones) which say "shielded" or have a ferrite core in the middle or step up to "real" cords. Mouser sells hospital-grade Volex cords for $25. I've seen Quail cords and they seem cheaper to me.
2) change to shielded interconnects
3) add a "serious" power line filter for the digital only. Hospital-grade units are available used on ebay around $100.

I'd also try the optical input. It could be a 3-component problem!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back