Zhaolu discreet headamp comparisons...
Jul 10, 2006 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking seriously of getting a Zhaolu in the near future, and am wondering if anyone compared the upgraded discreet headamp to a basic Pimeta or similar circuit.

Seems likely that it would be better because it's discreet, but not necessarily... depends on how good the buffering is for low impedance cans, and how well it handles the voltage swing necessary for higher impedance cans. Any honest opinions? Also, is the volume control knob on the unit really good enough or is it so crappy it reduces the usefulness of the built in headamp?

I'll probably either go with the most basic model from ifiaudio w/ad1852, or spend on the CS4398 and get the discreet headphone amp along with it (and actually use it -- I would probably sell my Pimeta). Not sure which route I should take at this point. I could save $90 by 'cheaping out' if I wasn't gonna use the built in head amp, and from what I understand basically get an equivalent level of sound quality (but using an external headamp).

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 18
The pot seems cheap and feels very sandy at both ends of the rotation. However, I haven't noticed any problems at all resulting from it, such as static while turning it, or channel imbalance, even during the sandy parts. I listen with mine at about 8 o'clock (just above minimum) and I don't notice any channel imbalance. Then again, I haven't really learned how to hear minor things yet.

I'm also wondering how the upgraded amp compares to other amps. I paid for the amp but Eddie is going to ship it after I come back from vacation since he ran out of them a couple of days before I ordered. I'm eagerly awaiting hearing it, but something tells me I won't really notice much difference.

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 18
Zenja, pull the volume knob outwards a little bit and the "sandy" feel will be solved.

As far as the quality of the upgraded Zhaolu D2 Headamp, I would put it on par with a Headfive in every way. It drives my K701's nicely, and for redbook listening the 10 o'clock volume position is extremely loud. FWIW I ended up selling the HeadFive last week.

Jul 10, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 18
I think the Zhaolu discrete headamp is quite good, especially for the price. It works well with my Grado SR125s and AKG K240m although I have to turn up the volume quite a bit more on the AKGs to match the volume level with the Grados.
My other amp is the Kookaburra, which I think is a bit more detailed and controlled, but I'm still glad I got the discrete module just for a different sound (warmer). Links for the Kookaburra:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=64215

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/

I have the Zhaolu 2.0 w/ CS4398. DC caps have been shorted and I'm currently using 2 Burrbrown OPA2134 and one AD826, which I think sounds very similiar to the BB OPA2604/DY2000 combo. I think my included OPA2604 chips could have been counterfeit BurrBrowns since the "BB" written on the chip was not the same font as other BBs I've gotten straight from the manufacturer...or even other BB opa2604s I've seen pictured in these forums on other people's units. The sound was still quite good though.

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
As far as the quality of the upgraded Zhaolu D2 Headamp, I would put it on par with a Headfive in every way. It drives my K701's nicely, and for redbook listening the 10 o'clock volume position is extremely loud. FWIW I ended up selling the HeadFive last week.

Thanks for the info, just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregmorris
I think the Zhaolu discrete headamp is quite good, especially for the price.

Unfortunately, that one doesn't say much. "Good for the price" doesn't mean anything if it never gets used, due to something else (that's relatively inexpensive) being better. I currently have a maxed out Pimeta that's pretty good in all departments, so that's what I'm wondering about getting beaten or not...

Jul 13, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks for the info, just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Unfortunately, that one doesn't say much. "Good for the price" doesn't mean anything if it never gets used, due to something else (that's relatively inexpensive) being better. I currently have a maxed out Pimeta that's pretty good in all departments, so that's what I'm wondering about getting beaten or not...

I cringe when I hear god for the price..How about good period!!

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 18
I admit "good for the price" is not the most detailed/helpful description.

I've been doing more comparisons between the zhaolu discrete and the kookaburra and I guess all I can say is that they both sound very good but each has it's own signature. I think the discrete has a fuller low end response but the kookaburra has better detail retrieval (maybe treble detail and ambience is more pronounced due to a bit less bass?). I'm also planning on adjusting the current bias soon to see how that affects the sound of the zhaolu discrete. Eddie wrote me that the two outter trimpots are for current and the inner ones are for DC offset and should not be adjusted.

Summing up: I don't think I would expect the discrete amp at $60 to be the best headamp available at any cost but it isn't crap and I was willing to pay that much to have a discrete transistor based amp in my collection...and it's nice to know the headphone out jack on the Zhaolu isn't totally useless.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 18
I think my included OPA2604 chips could have been counterfeit BurrBrowns since the "BB" written on the chip was not the same font as other BBs I've gotten straight from the manufacturer...or even other BB opa2604s I've seen pictured in these forums on other people's units. The sound was still quite good though.[/QUOTE]

There are many different logos that Ti useson the same BB opamps. You can check the Ti website and they show all the different types of logo configurations each opamp comes in.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by theexec
Somehow, i don't find 10'o clock extremely loud.. Hope there's nothing wrong with mine.. and i'm not deaf.. I can put it on 1 o clock with no problem

It depends on the headphones and your source volume (should be at 100%). 10 o'clock is quite uncomfortable with my MS-1 but I'm sure with something like HD650 or K701 it would be fine.

It seems like there's not a whole lot of people using the upgraded amp. Most people here have a dedicated amp. Whenever questions about the amp come up, there's not really much input.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks! I just realised it was because i was testing with an unusally soft CD.

I haven't listened to other amps so I can't make comparison, but I'm happy with the Zhaolu unit and the discrete head amp.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
I think my included OPA2604 chips could have been counterfeit BurrBrowns since the "BB" written on the chip was not the same font as other BBs I've gotten straight from the manufacturer...or even other BB opa2604s I've seen pictured in these forums on other people's units. The sound was still quite good though.

There are many different logos that Ti useson the same BB opamps. You can check the Ti website and they show all the different types of logo configurations each opamp comes in.[/QUOTE]

My 2604s are legit. Hope I didn't cause too much suspicion....

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 18
IMO, the discrete amp is a nice upgrade. I actually liked the basic amp using the Grado GS-1000's, but the discrete amp brought it up several notches.

The things I like about the DAC portion, like the spaciousness, detail, etc., are all bettered in the discrete amp, along with nmore extended highs and more bass & dynamics. It was a tiny bright at first, but after as little as ~50 hours it got better.

FYI, my Zhaolu is the CS DAC, OPA2604's for opamps, and I have bypassed the caps as per Ori's recommendation. Nothing else....

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
IMO, the discrete amp is a nice upgrade. I actually liked the basic amp using the Grado GS-1000's, but the discrete amp brought it up several notches.

The things I like about the DAC portion, like the spaciousness, detail, etc., are all bettered in the discrete amp, along with nmore extended highs and more bass & dynamics. It was a tiny bright at first, but after as little as ~50 hours it got better.

FYI, my Zhaolu is the CS DAC, OPA2604's for opamps, and I have bypassed the caps as per Ori's recommendation. Nothing else....

How do you find it compares with your GCHA with GS-1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back