Zhaolu D2.x - Upgrade from D1.3
Apr 28, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #196 of 214
looks like i'll have to jump on the CS4393 with upgraded headamp and opamps the second it comes out (in may) (since no one seems willing to buy it without a review, maybe there will be no Zhaolu 2.1 owners
eek.gif
)

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #197 of 214
I will be getting the Zhaolu 2.0 with CS4398 and promotional bonuses from Eddie, although I won't receive it until 7 weeks from now.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #200 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I will be getting the Zhaolu 2.0 with CS4398 and promotional bonuses from Eddie, although I won't receive it until 7 weeks from now.
tongue.gif

eek.gif
7 weeks
omg
..why ?

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #201 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Might be tough for the press to review such bargain products when they re pushing extremely expensive stuff
biggrin.gif

.. this is a sure thing ..

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #202 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
eek.gif
7 weeks
omg
..why ?

Having it shipped to china so my mom can pick it up in 4.5-5 weeks time. Then she'll be staying for 2 weeks, and bringing it back. Then she'll have to give it to me. It's a very roundabout way of doing things, but it saves me $50 US, which is no small fee.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #203 of 214
if that headphone amp upgrade really is so good, i wonder if anyone has ever thought of taking a power supply, and rigging that thing to be it's own stand alone amp.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #204 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
if that headphone amp upgrade really is so good, i wonder if anyone has ever thought of taking a power supply, and rigging that thing to be it's own stand alone amp.

what I expect it is a borrowed recurrent design ( ppa? )

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #205 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa

What's interesting is because of that analog input that goes straight to the headphone amp you can use the Zhaolu as JUST a headphone amp only. Even better you can disconnect the power going to the DAC section so the power supply is dedicated to the headphone amp only. That's a possibiltiy rather than putting the amp module into a new enclosure with a transformer.

Ori suggested I then buy a second unit to use as a DAC so one is a headphone amp and the other is the DAC.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I noticed in the new 2.0 that the upgraded headphone amp board's power supply is on the main DAC board's power supply rather than being on the headphone amp's board, so it will get it's power from there rather than a connection from the transformer like the old one does. With the new amp module one could then build a whole new power supply for it and put it in another enclosure. Lot's of possibilites.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #206 of 214
When is version 3.0 coming out?

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #207 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
When is version 3.0 coming out?

After 2.x has reached the market which we are currently waiting for...
Kinda impatient?
Or how are your 2.x impressions?
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #208 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H

I noticed in the new 2.0 that the upgraded headphone amp board's power supply is on the main DAC board's power supply rather than being on the headphone amp's board, so it will get it's power from there rather than a connection from the transformer like the old one does. With the new amp module one could then build a whole new power supply for it and put it in another enclosure. Lot's of possibilites.
smily_headphones1.gif

How about using the moded DAC1.3's PSU to feed the headamp upgrade unit in DAC2.0?

May 5, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #209 of 214
Some Infos I got from Lawrence, with my questions:

DAC 2.0 stock was shipped to US.
HONG KONG stock had arrived .
2.0 power supply has improved over 1.3 but is not so Hi End, yet. (PSU board does not fit in case)
The clock of 2.0 is improved but not as good as 1ppm. (on DAC board? socketed?)

His impressions so far:
DAC 2.0 has more details than 1.3.
2.0 is more gentle than 1.3 and 1.3 is more dynamic than 2.0 . It is the masterstroke of Zhaolu 1.3( mods ) .

My q: dynamic difference is due to power supply?

May 5, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #210 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by udo
Some Infos I got from Lawrence, with my questions:

DAC 2.0 stock was shipped to US.
HONG KONG stock had arrived .
2.0 power supply has improved over 1.3 but is not so Hi End, yet. (PSU board does not fit in case)
The clock of 2.0 is improved but not as good as 1ppm. (on DAC board? socketed?)

His impressions so far:
DAC 2.0 has more details than 1.3.
2.0 is more gentle than 1.3 and 1.3 is more dynamic than 2.0 . It is the masterstroke of Zhaolu 1.3( mods ) .

My q: dynamic difference is due to power supply?

I assume that is for the standard(AD1852) version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back