Zhaolu D2.5C DAC akg combo?
Jul 8, 2007 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nburge

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I was wondering if a Zhaolu D2.5C DAC w/ Headphone Amp Upgrade and the akg-701 would be a an acceptable match or perhaps good match?

Where can i find available upgrades?

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello,

I just weighing my options herei could buy the xin micro 4 which i have ordered for my portable and have a dac and headphone amp all for around 400 bux. Im just looking for confirmation on if this is a bad combination?

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 6
The Zhaolu even with the Amp Upgrade(didn't heard it without the upgrade) really lack the power to drive the K701 properly IMO.

I'm using the Corda Aria, and despite the inferior DAC, I feel that it's a much better way to spend 400$ on AMP+DAC combo for those headphones.

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I had used this exact combination as my default listening device. Zhaolu D2.5C with regular amp or upgrade amp will have plenty of power driving K701. Most of the time I had only turn the knob to 9'0clock position. hard to find a
DAC/amp combo that beat Zhaolu in price. The Zhaolu's amp alone if placed in a different enclusure and endorsed by non-chinese company can easily sell for $300-$500.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 6
OK, for the third opinion
tongue.gif
I'm somewhere in the middle of SoapSeller and MrLA.

I had the 2.0C and 2.5C, both with the discrete amp. Oddly, the 2.0C seemed to do a little better power-wise with my 701's. The 2.5C driving them I would say was very good, but not great. The Heed, the Lunch Box, and especially the GCHA all fared better. In the brief time I had it, the Aria also did well.

It's a good match, I think you'd enjoy it; but I think the 701's can be better. The nice thing is you can start with the Zhaolu (as it's a very nice DAC), and upgrade amps later if you feel the need.

My 2 cents....

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 6
i agree with skullguise that PS AUDIO GCHA probably the best amp driving K701, though I haven't tried many amps either, but K701 should excell with any good SS amps.

i used to have Zhaolu D2.0C too with regular amp and have Zhaolu D2.5C with upgraded amp (LM4562 op-amps). I don't think there is a audible differences between the two DACs (both are colored, imo), except 2.5C is more reliable.

but one thing they share in common, they have more than enough oomps to drive any headphones - minus the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back