Zhaolu D2.0 - I Am Impressed
May 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mtan002

New Head-Fier
The Zhaolu (with CS4398) arrived yesterday morning. I connected it between my NAD C542 and my tube amp - a Melody SP-3 which provess to be quite handy for a pair of Stirling LS3/5a V2. The original setup is not bad at all for jazz and vocal. Becasue of the physical contraint of the room, the speakers are only 1.2M apart and hence it is not good for big orchestral pieces.

The Zhaolu is amazing in opening up the sound stage. I put Diana Krall on as my test CD. I was so shock to hear the first few bars alone - the soundstage has changed tremendously. It spreads around and covers the whole space behind and between the speakers. I can feel as if she is singing right in front of me, supported by the piano and the orchestra behind her. Her voice standsout from the accompanyment, smooth and very pleasant. Imaging is improved and so is the bass, though not to the same extent as the soundstage. I listened for 2 whole hours and could continue if not for the tought that I should share this experience with you people - love for music.

I think this is my best US$180 spent on hardware. I am impressed with Zhaolu D2.0.

May 27, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Congratulations! How does it sound in terms of tonality? Is it rather rich and warm, cold and dry, bassy or light sounding, very neutral, whatever - pick your choice, please! Also, would you characterise it as rather colorful or rather mono-chromatic?

May 27, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtan002
I think this is my best US$180 spent on hardware. I am impressed with Zhaolu D2.0.

Thanks for the info!

Did anyone yet try the D1.3 and D2.0 side by side?
Modded or unmodded?

May 27, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Couldn't agree more! This is the first time I experience a truly 3D soundstage, of course, with my K340's together as well
340smile.gif
I was so surprised to find that some of my tracks from a Billie Holiday album actually offers such an amazing depth, that I could distinctively hear the background music a few feet away from her voice!

May 27, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte
Congratulations! How does it sound in terms of tonality? Is it rather rich and warm, cold and dry, bassy or light sounding, very neutral, whatever - pick your choice, please! Also, would you characterise it as rather colorful or rather mono-chromatic?

Overall I would characterize the sound to be very warm. However, mine is paired with 3 DY2000, and maybe the stock version could be a slight bit sharper. The bass coming from the stock amp is a bit muddy, although my power hog of K340's could be the culprit as well.

May 27, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 13
Zhaolu 2.0 is really so good?
I will fly back to China to visit my parents this fall. Maybe it's the time to spend RMB on this unit.
600smile.gif
Hopefully they will carry PCM1794 version by that time.

May 27, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 13
mtan002: This really mirrors my impressions. The 3D imaging is particularly impressive - I had no idea that such excellent soundstaging was possible on a budget. The highs and upper mids seem to be Zhaolu's strength as well - the Senn (580) veil is no more.

Filip

May 28, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

This is a very subjective question. You probably get as many answers as the number of people who listened to the same piece of music. Honestly, before getting the Melody valve amp, I dont really understand what "warm" is. Like many of you, I used to listen to vinyl in my early days. But that memory faded gradually. The valve amp kind of bring back that kind of familiar sound - the "rich accompaniment" (must be the good harmonics). The Zhaolu just made it so obvious and pleasant. It complements the whole setup perfectly.

As to colourful or mono-chromatic? Hmmmm... What is that? I really don't know what to say.

Cheers!

May 28, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The valve amp kind of bring back that kind of familiar sound - the "rich accompaniment" (must be the good harmonics). The Zhaolu just made it so obvious and pleasant. It complements the whole setup perfectly.

Thanks for the reply. So it is more or less on the warm side, I infere. Nice!

Quote:

As to colourful or mono-chromatic? Hmmmm... What is that? I really don't know what to say.

Kinda hard to explain. Let me put it another way: does the Zhaolu present the various timbres of instruments, particularly of acoustic instruments, in a rather vivid and contrasting manner? Is it easy for the ear to understand what instruments are playing and what material are they made of (for example, to tell apart instantly and effortlessly an electric piano to an acoustic one, different kinds of percussions, etc.)? This "timbral definition" is not exactly the same concept as "color range", but close enough for what I need to know. How good would you appreciate the Zhaolu to be in this regard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Overall I would characterize the sound to be very warm. However, mine is paired with 3 DY2000, and maybe the stock version could be a slight bit sharper.

Thanks for the reply.
Very warm?! Wow, I didn't expect this. Anyway, there are many moded versions possible, each with it's own sound I suppose. I'm mostly interested in the stock versions.

May 29, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Kinda hard to explain. Let me put it another way: does the Zhaolu present the various timbres of instruments, particularly of acoustic instruments, in a rather vivid and contrasting manner? Is it easy for the ear to understand what instruments are playing and what material are they made of (for example, to tell apart instantly and effortlessly an electric piano to an acoustic one, different kinds of percussions, etc.)? This "timbral definition" is not exactly the same concept as "color range", but close enough for what I need to know. How good would you appreciate the Zhaolu to be in this regard?

I used the Opus 3 Testrecords 1,2&3 and the Test CD4 quite exyensively in testing my gear. In that respect, the Zhaolu has performed very well. For example, the drumer hit the side of his drum with his stick, that sound is a lot more vivid than the NAD by itself.

Cheers.

May 29, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I used the Opus 3 Testrecords 1,2&3 and the Test CD4 quite exyensively in testing my gear. In that respect, the Zhaolu has performed very well. For example, the drumer hit the side of his drum with his stick, that sound is a lot more vivid than the NAD by itself.

I see, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back