zhaolu D-2.5 or e-mu 0404 usb
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bonjonno

Head-Fier
I have a nice setup with a chaintech AV-710 optical spdif to a Pioneer AV receiver that has toslink input. This in turn goes into my high end sound system which includes a heavily modded acurus pre, Threshold Stasis amp and top of line custom monitors (scanspeak drivers). I would like to bypass the Pioneer and am looking for a DAC solution under $200. Has anyone yet used both the zhaolu D-2.5 and the e-mu 0404USB? If so is one clearly better than the other? I would think the zhaolu D-2.5 is more high end, but with no hands on experience, who knows?

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 5
well i'll tell ya, i'm ramping up to audition my modded emu0404 (not usb) with a zhaolu 2.5a that's on the way

but untill then i think it's safe to say that the zhaolu should blow it out of the water

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 5
alright! excellent attitude. Looking forward to your impressions. Since we live so close, how much was the total price with shipping for the zhaolu D-2.5? It's the basic one with AD-1852 DA-Chip, right? I wrote to diykits for a quote but haven't heard back.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright! excellent attitude. Looking forward to your impressions. Since we live so close, how much was the total price with shipping for the zhaolu D-2.5? It's the basic one with AD-1852 DA-Chip, right? I wrote to diykits for a quote but haven't heard back.

I just bought the D2.5c from a fellow head-fier...should have it by the end of the week. If the sale had not happened, I was going to order from diykits as well and requested a price on the 2.5a with shipping to Colorado. Eddie Wu replied back with a total price of $188 ($129 for DAC and $59 for shipping). There is another place you can purchase the 2.5a for $199 which is in Nebraska and shipping is free. The website is www.ifiaudio.com.

Good Luck!
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the info. I had seen the older model D2.0 at ifi, but their website struck me as totally Euro and I thought they were overseas
icon10.gif
At any rate, they have the op amps that are considered inferior, so I'd probably deal with Eddie. On the fence right now and the beauty of that is saving $$.

Enjoy your D2.5C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back