Zhaolu 2.5
Dec 18, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #136 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj3500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. Posted this in a neighbouring topic, but maybe this is a better place... anyway: I'm planning on getting a Zhaolu D2.5 from Eddie Wu with the discrete amp upgrade. Now, there are two versions - the AD1852 and CS4398 chips, the latter costing $66 more. I listen mostly to electronic stuff through Senn HD555 (planning to upgrade to HD595, HD650 or some beyers in the future). Which will create a better synergy with my musical tastes and phones, and is the upgrade worth getting for the price, especially given that the C version also replaces the opamps in stock headamp, which I won't use anyways? Thanks for feedback in advance.

bump. anyone cares to help?

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #139 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj3500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. Posted this in a neighbouring topic, but maybe this is a better place... anyway: I'm planning on getting a Zhaolu D2.5 from Eddie Wu with the discrete amp upgrade. Now, there are two versions - the AD1852 and CS4398 chips, the latter costing $66 more. I listen mostly to electronic stuff through Senn HD555 (planning to upgrade to HD595, HD650 or some beyers in the future). Which will create a better synergy with my musical tastes and phones, and is the upgrade worth getting for the price, especially given that the C version also replaces the opamps in stock headamp, which I won't use anyways? Thanks for feedback in advance.

I have not done alot of comparison with these two but from by brief listens, I think the AD chip is more resolving and a good match for electronic stuff. Also, if you plan to go to a darker sounding headphone (HD650), then again, the AD1852 would be my choice.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #140 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul- Specifically, what is it about the AD823's technical parameters that might make it an ideal chip to use in the 2.5 power supply and how is it better than the OPA's you mentioned? I'm not technically inclined enough with this stuff to know. I have an AD823 on hand that I could put in the opamp position in the power supply. I have an OPA2107 in there now. Just curious, sounds intriguing. Thanks!

Sean,

Serious apologies for the delay in responding. I've been on the jury of a rather nasty criminal case and I've spent the last few weeks in a state of high dudgeon. Its over and the SOB isn't going to be out of prison for the next 30yrs.

I'm actually quite embarassed by my recommendation of the AD823 as my intent was to suggest the AD826. The opamps in that position provide a correction signal from a comparison of the output voltage against a voltage reference/divider network. As this reference node is typically low impedance, a bipolar input chip would normally be chosen, for lowest noise. The AD817 bipolar single amp chip is typically used in Suzler and Jung regulators and the AD826 is close to a dual version of it. Then again, I don't have a 2.5, but rather a 2.0 which lacks opamp controlled voltage regulators. But if the voltage ref and output is fed to the regulators opamp from high impedance nodes, the AD823 is an excellent choice. The 823 would work very well in that environment, which is typical in a output servo circuit in power amps.

As you've been experimenting with the National LM4562, and if you want to experiment with bipolar opamp for voltage regulation, the National chip might give very pleasing results, dunno..... If I had a Zhaolu 2.5 I'd trace the circuit and base my suggestions on more accurate info.

Again, sorry for the delay and the 'misinformation' and can only console myself with 'alls well that ends well'.

Regards,
Paul

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #141 of 150
The D2.5A version of this DAC appears (for now) to have no resistors in the path from the DAC chip to the connector (CON5) to the analog board.

Does anybody here have a D2.5C and a usable digital camera?
A few pictures of the area between the CS DAC chip and the connector to the analog board would be very welcome!
Please post!

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #142 of 150
I just got MD10 from Mr. Fan directly, this tiny stuff is really amazing!
it is really convenient and ideal for PC hifi user
I compared it with DAC1 from my friend.
Frankly speaking, when blinded test performed, it is difficult for me to tell difference between two DAC.
as to unblinded test, I just felt subjectively DAC1 "maybe" more detailed.
the difference is really minor.
I can not understand, why dac1 is several times more expensive than MD10?

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #143 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by serotec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got MD10 from Mr. Fan directly, this tiny stuff is really amazing!
it is really convenient and ideal for PC hifi user
I compared it with DAC1 from my friend.
Frankly speaking, when blinded test performed, it is difficult for me to tell difference between two DAC.
as to unblinded test, I just felt subjectively DAC1 "maybe" more detailed.
the difference is really minor.
I can not understand, why dac1 is several times more expensive than MD10?

The law of diminishing return
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #144 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The law of diminishing return
tongue.gif

I completely agree with you ' THe law of diminishing return'
If the sound of DAC1 is at least 5% clearly better than MD10 under blinded test, I don't mind that DAC1 even 10 times more expensive than MD10.
The fact is that I myself can not judge which one is better under blinded test. I hardly find reviews about blinded test here.
I guess manufacturers are afraid of that, haha
600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #145 of 150
Dead thread, but will revive since im hopefully getting my 2.5A tomorrow, its already upgraded and the details in my sig.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #146 of 150
Quick question....can the zhaolu take both RCA and optical input at once?

I dont want to connect 2 players to it...i want to be able to listen to my SACD via my CE595 which will do only CD through the optical. So i have to connect RCA and Optical outs on my CE595.

May 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #147 of 150
Found this thread today. I have been considering buying the Zhalou 2.5C with the headphone module upgrade from Audiomagus to upgrade my HR MicroDAC and the headphone out from my Rotel RA-1062. Does this seem like a good upgrade? Is the headphone module any good? Thanks.

May 7, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #149 of 150
I have to say, for the money the zhaolu is a great DAC. I have a Lavry DA10 right now and its better, but its close. At some points you can clearly hear the DA10 is better...the amp is MILES ahead of the Zhaolu's amp. ATM i cant hook up the lavry to test it against my DAC with the same amp. So there is a unfair advantage to the DA10.

The crazy thing is the DA10 is a $1K DAC, the Zhaolu can be had for under 250$. I havent heard a unmodded version of the Zhaolu so i cant say how it compares. However the Zhaolu is a very capable DAC.

May 8, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #150 of 150
hi,new on the board........I have the Zhalou 2.5 with the
Discrete Amp upgrade fron Audiomagus,very happy with it.

Question:i would like to run a digital coax from my Comcast HD cable box to the Digital in on the Zhalou to get
better Headphone listening.
(I have a headphone jack on my Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI-S,also).

However,when I do this,the Zhalou doesn't recognize that a signal is being inputted.I assumed that this is the same as hooking up any other device with a Digital output,like a CD player.

I'm baffled as to why this doesn't work!
Is it because the signal from the cable box is not amplified?

I'm sure I'm missing something very simple and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back