Zhaolu 2.0 ARRIVED!!! IMPRESSION INSIDE!
Jun 6, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #421 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by ODG
zdogg,

I'm trying to decide adding a DY2000 on middle section to my Dac1.3 and Dac2.0 coming soon.
I've been using all 2604's in my current modded 1.3. Whats the sound like between the 2604's and DY2000 in middle sections on both 1.3&2.0.

I would agree and also add that I found the DY2000 to have a more defined and extended bass when compared with the 2604 in the middle position. I wish I had three DY2000's to try in all three positions but apart from Eddie I'm not sure where to get em.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #422 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Since I heard them both and we just about agreed on this, I can tell you that the DY2000 had a much more refined sound.
At this level, almost any combination would sound credible on its own, so "improvements" are quite subtle. The OPA2604 had more 'edgy' sound, without any sonic benefit. The DY2000 didn't lose a level of detail or increase the perceived noise floor. It just sounded more natural and just as extended and dynamic as the OPA2604.
There might be other suitable opamps for this position, but between these two there was very little doubt that the DY2000 is a winner.

where can I get one of these DY2000.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #423 of 858
can get the dy2000 from eddie's page
http://www.diykits.com.hk/OPA.html

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #424 of 858
Anyone have the headphone amp module yet? If so, please comment in my thread, if not, when somebody does get the module, please contribute to my thread.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #425 of 858
just visited Eddie's shop today but came back empty handed. He is completely out of stock until June 18th.

On the bright side, the upgraded heapamp module is in.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #426 of 858
Yup i heard they're in now. Too bad i'm still waiting for my CS4389 to arrive ( has been over 2 weeks now
rolleyes.gif
).

Anyway just a warning if you want to try to remove the caps and dont have any experience in soldering (like i do).
DONT do it until you're prepared to undergo major pain!!
biggrin.gif

Removing the caps is easy, but cleaning the solder off is where the pain starts for a beginner. I got solder wick but damn, its not as easy as shown in many pics on the internet
mad.gif
Also my ersa soldering iron sucks big time, the supplied screwdriver like top is a JOKE. Heatdistribution is completely uneven and i never know where and how to apply the top. Ill be getting the 1mm pen top and the 3mm round top and i really really hope this will improve things. And getting solder out of the holes is such a PITA
mad.gif
mad.gif
I hope i idnt kill the PCB already
confused.gif
Anyway after you remove all solder make sure you clean the parts which you freed of solder!

Oh well, i should have gotten a cheaper device to practice my soldering skill but its not toooo bad when i completely screw it up either
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #427 of 858
Just ordered the zhaolu from Eddie, with discrete headamp and blackcaps upgrade...
But as he's outta stock, looks like i won't be getting it anytime soon
won't make it for my birthday on the 10th...
frown.gif

on the other hand, the pcm1792 might be out by then
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #428 of 858
So i just gave it a second try (A cable came off from my first solder job btw):

removedcaps.jpg

Its not pretty, but it'll last, and still sounds better than with the caps
biggrin.gif

I wont bother to solder around more at that area, i have too much torture done to the pcb already.

Edit: Notice that slightly burned wima
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #430 of 858
Yeah it looks pretty crazy underneath there. Well he is still getting sound isn't he?
tongue.gif
I recommend you practice soldering using an old piece of equipment before you getting back into the tighter areas of the zhaolu and maybe get another iron.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #433 of 858
Quote:

Tangents got some great how-to solder video tutorials on his site.

A video tutorial?!
very_evil_smiley.gif
You guys are nuts...
confused.gif
Try this easy shortcut. If you bought your Zhaolu from Eddie then most likely you'll find four caps underneath the PCB in addition to the ones on top. The leads of the caps below are going sideways (for lack of space). All you have to do is push the longer lead down so it touches the other lead and solder them together. If you feel like being neat then clip these leads, leaving them the longest possible. In all likelyhood, the longer lead of the two is sufficient to bridge to the other "side".
By "tricking" it just so you have shorted the caps in the easiest way imaginable. That's a 15 minute job start-to-finish, even with a WW2-era soldering iron...
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #434 of 858
Ofcourse i still get sound
biggrin.gif
I wish i had known i can just short the caps earlier
eek.gif
Anyway it seems i always learn the hard way...
biggrin.gif

I used a 40W soldering iron, is that too much? Its what they suggested me in the store
confused.gif
The picture isnt really clear, theres ofcourse no black/burned area on the pcb as some soldering points might look like
biggrin.gif
After my numerious tries i didnt bother to clean it again, it could look alot more shiny with some cleaning
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the videos!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Did anyone notice a hum and lots of funky background noise with his stock headphone amp after removing the caps? Its the only mod i did and i didnt get noise before. Line Out is as quiet as before, its only the amp. Not that i care for it but i might want to try out the upgrade since its avaible now
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #435 of 858
Hm strange very strange. The hum of the headphone amp is mostly noticeable on the left side, there is also a crackling noise. All this with only the power connected, nothing else, no signal cable. Music plays fine when i connect that, but the hum and crackling overlays it completely. Also i exchanged the OPAs, problem stays
confused.gif
Today I connected it again for the first time since a week, i didnt touch it otherwise.
Interesting: When i turn the volume pot up completely the hum & crackling is almost gone
confused.gif
What? faulty volume pot?

EDIT: Just noticed that one green cap next to the DAC (opposite to the OPA part) has a yellowish (oxidated?) look and one side has a complete dent from top to bottom. It dont remember touching it while soldering and the dent is on the side pointing to the DAC chip. It must have gotten there during assembly before the DAC chip got added. What? o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back