ZERO DAC not working with 192 000 Hz
Oct 30, 2008 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
It looks like the ZERO DAC doesn't support a 192 000 HZ sample rate via optical. Why is that?

In audio properties in windows Vista 64, I get no sound when I set the properties to: 2 channel, 24 bit, 192 000Hz (Studio Quality) but I get a sound when it is set to: 2 channel, 24 bit, 96 000Hz (Studio Quality).
However, the ZERO is able to convert a 192 000Hz signal via coaxial. So I will keep on using coaxial. Is there a big difference in SQ between 96 and 192 KHz?

On another note, which of the three formats can the ZERO decode?
DTS Audio
Dolby Digital
Microsoft WMA Pro Audio?

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 29
From post #7528 down: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev.../index753.html

You gain no SQ from 96 to 192, because your source material will be what? 44/16?!..

You would only be losing SQ if lets say you would use a bit depth/rate lower than your source material.

You can actually lose quality by upsampling, that's why "some of us" around here use bit-perfect setups (when the sound card permits it), letting your sound card touch the signal kinda defeats the purpose of a DAC to obtain "more quality" than the one your sound card gives, you are kinda letting your card be a limiting factor instead of just a transport.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 29
there are also software upsamplers that work much better then soundcard samplers.. check SSRC for foobar2k. I have an x-fi and I just set it to bitperfect in audio console and use 192000hz upsample via ssrc, sounds fantastic

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 29
I do know that the Zero CAN'T decode Dolby or DTS.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 29
I am using a styraight digital signal from my mobo. How do I know if it is bitferct and that my mobo is not altering the signal?

I have foobar2K and I'll try the software for upsampling to see if there is a difference. I mostly download .FLAC files and they are at 44khz but I don't know about the bitrate.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better question -- Does optical support 192khz?

It can, but it is rare, see the link I posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a styraight digital signal from my mobo. How do I know if it is bitferct and that my mobo is not altering the signal?

You have to see the specs/manual of your card chip/card to find out if the card upsamples everything to lets say 48Khz, or if it lets the signal "be" what it is. What sound chip does your mobo have?

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 29
Thanks for adressing this usse DaMnEd.

The mobo is the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R :NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EP45-DS3R ATX LGA775 P45 2PCI-E16 2PCI CrossFireX SATA2 RAID Sound 2XGLAN 1394A Motherboard - GA-EP45-DS3R In Canada.

Realtek ALC889A codec
High Definition Audio
2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
Support for Dolby Home Theater
Support for S/PDIF In/Out
Support for CD In

If it does alter the sound. Is there any piece of cheap computer hardware that could let me have a bit perfect sound without hearing electrical signals coming from other parts of the computer?

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 29
It seems the ALC889A is bit-perfect capable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just make sure you set the digital output to 44.1/16bit (like your material/flacs), use ASIO4ALL (to bypass Windows Kmixer), and a player ASIO capable (Winamp or Foobar, both have plugins for ASIO).

Alternatively if your SO is Vista, you can use WASAPI instead (foobar has the plugin for this), it is easier to set-up since it is already buit-in the SO itself, no need for external drivers like ASIO4ALL.

And make sure you have the latest realtek driver: Download here

The "dirty power" issue quite frankly I do not know how to fix, haven't experienced that issue with my setup using a realtek mobo chip too, and getting a PCI/PCI-E soundcard, or even a USB could be just as bad, they will all draw power from the same source, the PC PSU/bus.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 29
I'll check out both ASIO4ALL and WASAPI.

From my uderstanding you can only use ASIO4ALL with Foobard right?
I see that you are using WASAPI, is it any better that ASIO4ALL?
I can't find a download link for WASAPI. Where did you download yours?
BTW, I have Windows Vista 64.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 29
No, ASIO4ALL (ASIO) can be used with any players that are ASIO capable, Winamp is for example, you just have to download the plugin.

I use WASAPI because with WASAPI I do not have install external programs/drivers (ASIO4ALL), just the player (foobar) and the plugin. But WASAPI can only be used with Windows Vista, WASAPI is a Microsoft API, this also means it will work pretty much on any soundcard that has drivers for vista, ASIO4ALL does not work on some cards.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 29
Hey Damned,

I have the .dll file put in the components folder of Foobar2K. How do I upsample now?

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 29
*.\foobar2000\components folder

And with foobar open:

Upsample? why? that's not the point at all.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 29
Done!
Thanks a lot DaMnEd!

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done!
Why 16bit and not 24bit?
Is it upsampling to 192khz now?
Should I hear a sound quality improvement?
What do I do next? I have set in widows audio advanced properties 24bit 192khz audio

I have already explained to you that using bit-depth/rate higher than your material wont give you more SQ, it can actually do the exact opposite. More can be less.

And I have also said what to do about the soundcard settings, you have to read and try to understand, and maybe research a bit about what you are trying to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back