Zero DAC->LD MKV->K701???
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

t3hggnore

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried this combination? And how are the results

Curious, cuz I'm trying to slap money together for a first rig, and I would prefer to leave a bit of cash to cover other costs/get more equipment to audition in the future.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 6
i've heard that the mk 3 can drive the k701 quite well, so it might not be a big problem for the mk 5?
my question now is: if the mk 3 can do the job, then is there any point in adding the zero amp, is it significantly better?

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! I'm trying to avoid tube amps for now, because of a lack of experience, so I was curious if an SS amp would work well with the k701.

I was mainly aiming at using the Zero as a DAC (using computer as source). If there are possibly better-priced standalone DAC's then I can let go of the Zero.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 6
I have this exact combo along with a MKIII tube amp. I usually listen to just the MKV because I love the way it sounds. It has plenty of power for the K701 and it's transparent nature really lets the phones shine. The Zero is a nice dac that has good balance, so it works well with the other components.

They are a really great combo that carries a lot of value for what they run.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this exact combo along with a MKIII tube amp. I usually listen to just the MKV because I love the way it sounds. It has plenty of power for the K701 and it's transparent nature really lets the phones shine. The Zero is a nice dac that has good balance, so it works well with the other components.

They are a really great combo that carries a lot of value for what they run.

Hardflip, you have the MK V and MK III with the K701. Can you tell us if you prefer MK V or the MK III? Seems like you like MK V better, is there anything in MK III that you don't like in this setup?

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 6
I like them both,but I have come to prefer the solid state amp sound. I like detail and layer so I find myself just using the MKV most of the time.

The MKIII has a great tube sound, lush mids with a smooth overall delivery. I still listen to it, and it does sound wonderful as a pre-amp, but it hasn't got much play lately. I just got an OMZ dac and have been savoring it with the MKV. I should give the MKIII it's just play soon.

I'm so captivated by the MKV sound that I have put an order in for a GS-1, and might end up with just the one amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back