Zeno
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing they are programmed to be subordinate to humans. They all share generally quiet and submissive personality traits.

But, the same freedom from the three laws that allows them to (potentially) harm a human also opens up other possibilities for them, such as the ability to love a human.

You watched chobits too much
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Hey, I love Chobits.
smily_headphones1.gif
It most closely resembles the dream I have always had for a future with intelligent machines.

I read the manga, too. None of that technical stuff is covered in the anime.

Besides... why couldn't a machine love a human? Even the love they feel isn't the same... I don't think it would in any way delegitimize what they do feel. Human feelings and experiences aren't some kind of absolute standard by which the experiences of other beings are to be judged, after all.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Good thing they are programmed to be subordinate to humans. They all share generally quiet and submissive personality traits.

hmmm.... but nothing ever goes according to plan all the time, does it.

very_evil_smiley.gif

p.s. i wonder if a persocom would like kraftwerks music? or daft punks

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If robots, a machine with a cpu for a brain, are about to surpass all of mankind in mental capacity then why isn't there any computer games with really good human-like AI?

Moore's Law states that computing speed doubles every two years. This has actually proven to be pretty much correct. Because of this, computer growth has become exponential - years ago computer growth tended to be a little slow, but lately it has really starting exploding and I can't even imagine what it will be like in the future. I'm sure you'll be playing games with human-like AI within the next ten years.

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Besides... why couldn't a machine love a human? Even the love they feel isn't the same... I don't think it would in any way delegitimize what they do feel. Human feelings and experiences aren't some kind of absolute standard by which the experiences of other beings are to be judged, after all.

That's actually what David Hanson came to talk about...his goal in life is to create robots that can feel compassion towards humans. He said that things like Terminator and whatever result from emotionless robots - without emotion, robots will be relentless in whatever they do. But even the thought of robots with feelings is pretty daunting...if robots can feel love, they can obviously feel hatred as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back