Zeno
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Did anyone else see the article on Zeno, the robot toy on the front page of Yahoo today? What do you guys think? The creator of the toy, David Hanson, is RISD alum and actually came to RISD to speak a couple days ago. He talked about art, about robots, and about the future. It was actually quite frightening when he mentioned the rate at which robots are growing and how soon their "mental capacity" will surpass that of a human, and even that of all humans combined. He brought up a cool analogy about a frog in a pot of water - if you turn the heat up quickly, the frog will jump out before it gets too hot; however, if you turn the heat up slowly, the frog won't realize until it's too late. Zeno may be a step in the right direction for robot technology, but nonetheless it's still kind of scary.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 21
Why is it scary? You've been watching too much Terminator. I can't stand that kind of thinking! Have you ever watched the Animatrix? In it, it is explained that thinking like that is what eventually caused the Matrix to be created in the first place! The machines made every possible effort and concession to achieve peace, but the humans wouldn't have any of it.

I for one can hardly wait for the day when there are humanlike domestic androids (I mean truly humanlike, like persocoms!) walking on our streets, when AI has become sophisticated enough to be considered sentient. I think it will be a wonderful thing. All of this fear mongering and furtive whispering about how scary a thinking machine would be reeks of all of the worst aspects of humanity. I hope for a future where humans and machines will coexist in peace and prosperity... that is the future I hope for.

Instead of thinking of Skynet, or the Matrix, or Terminators, try to think of something nice, like Chobits! Despite the cutesy nature of the animation, it is by far one of the most, if not the most realistic portrayals of artificially intelligent machines in society I've ever seen. A society like that is far more likely to come to be than some stereotypical distopian wasteland with machine overlords!

Gah!

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 21
Pre-emptive strike, let's destroy those Barbie dolls
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it scary? You've been watching too much Terminator. I can't stand that kind of thinking! Have you ever watched the Animatrix? In it, it is explained that thinking like that is what eventually caused the Matrix to be created in the first place! The machines made every possible effort and concession to achieve peace, but the humans wouldn't have any of it.

I for one can hardly wait for the day when there are humanlike domestic androids (I mean truly humanlike, like persocoms!) walking on our streets, when AI has become sophisticated enough to be considered sentient. I think it will be a wonderful thing. All of this fear mongering and furtive whispering about how scary a thinking machine would be reeks of all of the worst aspects of humanity. I hope for a future where humans and machines will coexist in peace and prosperity... that is the future I hope for.

Instead of thinking of Skynet, or the Matrix, or Terminators, try to think of something nice, like Chobits! Despite the cutesy nature of the animation, it is by far one of the most, if not the most realistic portrayals of artificially intelligent machines in society I've ever seen. A society like that is far more likely to come to be than some stereotypical distopian wasteland with machine overlords!

Gah!

Well there are two ways to look at it...there's the Terminator/iRobot view and the Chobits/Zeno view. While I'm hoping we are moving towards a peaceful, compassionate robot future, you never really know what's going to happen, especially with our government pouring so much money into robotic weapons research.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

for one can hardly wait for the day when there are humanlike domestic androids (I mean truly humanlike, like persocoms!) walking on our streets, when AI has become sophisticated enough to be considered sentient. I think it will be a wonderful thing. All of this fear mongering and furtive whispering about how scary a thinking machine would be reeks of all of the worst aspects of humanity. I hope for a future where humans and machines will coexist in peace and prosperity... that is the future I hope for.

He's one of them. GET HIM!

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 21
Invasion.jpg

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 21
If robots, a machine with a cpu for a brain, are about to surpass all of mankind in mental capacity then why isn't there any computer games with really good human-like AI?

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 21
Programming a machine to act and respond like a human shouldn't be too difficult. Whether or not their personal experience of feeling will like ours is another discussion entirely. (Obviously, it wouldn't be.)

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Programming a machine to act and respond like a human shouldn't be too difficult. Whether or not their personal experience of feeling will like ours is another discussion entirely. (Obviously, it wouldn't be.)

i think we have at least one robot amongst us on this board, and i dont think its been programmed right.

however, i enjoy thinking about the possible branches all of this tech could take, as mentioned some go for the aggressor type scenario and some equals or subordinates.

as long as they follow isaacs three laws of robotics, they are ok with me
wink.gif

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Persocoms are not subject to the three laws of robotics!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Good thing they are programmed to be subordinate to humans. They all share generally quiet and submissive personality traits.

But, the same freedom from the three laws that allows them to (potentially) harm a human also opens up other possibilities for them, such as the ability to love a human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back