Zen Xtra distortion
Mar 2, 2005 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

audiomortis

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a Creative Labs Zen Xtra (40gb), and recently I've started to hear quite a bit of static and distortion. It's not all the time, but at times it gets pretty noticable. It's more noticeable with my Grado SR60's than my Senn PX100's, and pretty noticeable with my Shure E2C's.

I've listened to the files on my computer to make sure that they aren't bad, and they sound fine on my PC.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 6
I would have volunteered information if I had something constructive to add, but the only static distortion I've came across is on the right output once in a while, but that was only temporary and it turned out to be the buffer needing to be purged and turning the unit on and off cured it. It wasn't something though that I couldn't get around, so I never worried about it. I wonder if taking drastic steps is your only choice, by formatting, wiping everything out, uploading just a minimal amount of tracks, monitoring it, keep adding more tracks, and see if the problem ever returns. Sounds as if the amp has pushed things up a notch almost as if it has MP3 gained all your music creating distortion and clipping. If you reload the firmware, format the harddrive, upload all your tracks doesn't solve it, then it could be hardware related and that sounds like I'm sorry to say a repair job.

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 6
yeah, it was a progressive thing for me too. turning it off and on used to solve it, but it doesn't seem to be working that way. I've turned of the EAX and I'm not hearing it... maybe something in that was clipping. I'm going to keep paying close attention.

May 22, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 6
its the EAX. i have the eax so i can use the eq, but if i turn the 100hz up +6 or more it distorts. @#$@%^T%$DF@!#$$@!~!~~
basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a 60gb Zen Xtra that I purchased this past February. I do notice a bit of static after start-up occasionally. To remedy I just power-down, wait a couple of seconds, then power-up; that takes care of the static everytime. I'm still at a loss as to why the status is occurring in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back