Zen Xtra and ER4S?
Mar 6, 2004 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

br--

100+ Head-Fier
OK well the Head-Fi server died while I was posting this so it messed up, but here's my original post:

I have heard the iPod can power the ER4S sufficiently un-amped. The volume is at around 80% - 90%, but it works. I was wondering if the Zen Xtra can power the ER4S, or if an amp is required.

Does anyone here know or can hazard a guess?

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 9
Well BR--,

I've got Ety4S's plugged into my Zen Xtra right now and they are working fine. The key to these is the isolation. With the Ety's in they don't need to be pumped with volume. I've got them comfortable at about 22-23 on the volume (Goes to 25).

I would recommend an amp though, it brings them alive. They do sound a little weak without the amp.

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 9
hi,

i jury-rigged a resistor with my er4p and xtra to mimic a xtra-4s combo. i then listened to my usual music mix.

unless your listening is done solely through mp3s who's volume you can adjust via mp3gain, i would advise against it.

for starters, i listen to classical mainly- classical is recorded at a relatively low-level compared to, say, a rhcp album. i use wav files so i cannot adjust the file volume without losing quality.

with an 4p, i usually listen at around 18/25. going up to 23 for especially soft albums.

with a 4s, usually 25/25 is not enough.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Nqstv
Well BR--,

I've got Ety4S's plugged into my Zen Xtra right now and they are working fine. The key to these is the isolation. With the Ety's in they don't need to be pumped with volume. I've got them comfortable at about 22-23 on the volume (Goes to 25).

I would recommend an amp though, it brings them alive. They do sound a little weak without the amp.

I'm curious what amp you've used with the Xtra/ER4's. Does it help with battery level on the Xtra? the Xin SuperDual may be a good solution here, will have a built in P to S convertor (Why does ety charge so damned much for a cable and a couple of resistors anyway!?!?)

Scott

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 9
I think a lot of it is what is comfortable listening for you. I admit that I don't usually listen too loud.

Scottder, Right now I'm using a Portable META42 from JMT that I bought a year ago. It has been probably the best investment to my portable setup that I have made. I'm looking at a PPA from JMT now. Keep the META for on the move and have the PPA for home and work.

I mostly use the combo at work where I get about 2-3 hours of listening in a day. The Zen I typically charge up on the weekend and it'll last all week long. The META will usually go a month.

Mar 7, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Can you see any advantages of using say a portable META (Ok PIMETA these days) with the headphone out on the Xtra?

Mar 7, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by br--
Are all of you folks liking your Zen Xtras?

Yeah, the interface could be a bit better, butothrwise the sound is great and the price is right. Also if you get one, put down the $25 for Notmad Explorer, well worth IMHO. Creative doesn't know how to do software for crap.

Scott

Mar 8, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Aside from the JB3, I feel the Zen is the best sounding HD player out there. You'll get plenty of argument here about that statement, but it is my opinion.
tongue.gif
The only issue I had with the JB3 was the size.

As far as using an amp, you can absolutely use an amp with the headphone out. I keep mine set at about 21-22 on the Zen volume and use the META42.

I consider this about the best you can get for a truly portable rig. Anything better would be more of the Transportable variety.

If you're looking at Amps, check out JMT's Portable or the new Total Airhead at Headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back