Zen vs. flash memory MP3 players?
Jan 23, 2004 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

guitarpsyence

Head-Fier
I have a 20gb zen usb, and am happy with the sound quality, but its just too bulky to carry in a pocket. So I'm thinking of giving up the storage space for portability. <br>What flash mp3 players on the market right now have the same sound quality as the zen?

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you also considering the smaller and much lighter microdrive players like Rio Nitrus and iPod Mini?

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 7
i was thinking under $200, so ipod mini is out.
other than that, i'd consider anything that's on the same level as the zen in terms of sound quality. the nitrus is interesting, but how does it compare?

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 7
The jury is still out on the Mini, since it has not yet been released. The Nitrus, from both my personal experience and others here, is not the equal of the Zen. You may be happier with the Muvo2, but I have not listened to it yet so cannot say for sure. Nevertheless, you may find all these options are "good enough."

I have yet to hear a flash-based player that is even remotely the equal of the Zen. However, I was very surprised at the Muvo's sound quality; it doesn't have the dynamics of the Zen, nor the very deep bass, but it sounds relatively smooth overall and generally pleasant.

BTW, if you can wait for the Mini to be released, you may yet find it for under $200.

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by guitarpsyence
ok, how about minidisc players? something like the sharp dr7? would that stand up to the zen?

Wait for Hi-MD if you want a minidisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back