Zen Vision M or Vision W???
Jun 13, 2007 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Yesfan70

Head-Fier
Ok, first off I'm not unhappy with my ZVM. At first I was, but that was just more or less me not having enough patience to figure it out (I like to be able to operate a product 2-3 hours after reading the owner's manual). Each day I like this player more and more (thanks to you guys helping me out).

I have not had this player a whole month and I am having a somewhat buyer's remorse. One thing I don't like about the ZVM is the adapter for the USB, A/V, and DC in jacks. I'm liking the touch pad less and less and looking through some of you all's systems makes me wished I got a player with a bigger screen. The ZVW has the bigger screen and has hard buttons in place of a touch pad. I also like the fact that it has dedicated jacks instead of an adapter and the battery is removable.

I have read some of the reviews of the ZVW and most do not like the size. The only thing I worry about as far as size goes is if it will fit in the Maxpedition bag I ordered. It has not arrived yet and if it doesn't fit, I figured I can send it back for a bigger version. Besides, I kinda wished I ordered the black bag instead of the khaki. Another thing is the compact flash can not be used as added storage (you have to transfer files from the CF card to the ZVW's drive...you can't read directly from the CF card if I have that right). Another thing is the ability to record shows and using it as a DVR. It lacks an A/V input for this. Both of these features do not bother me though. I'm a music first guy

The thing is, and what's prompt me to thinking, I can return the ZVM to Amazon and exchange it for the ZVW for the difference in price. If I do that, I'll probably just go all out and get the 60GB model.

What would you all do? I'm very tempted to jump and get the ZVW (free shipping and to my door by this Friday if I order in the next 22 hours)

ZVM or ZVW???

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd also like to know if anyone has any experience with the sound on this device. Is it better than the ZVM's?

Well (if no one here can answer that), you might find out sooner than you think. I caved. I went ahead and ordered the ZVW. I'm going to send the ZVM back. My wife still has hers, so I can probably setup a simple face off between the two.

I should get it by Friday. My wife is going to kick my ass.
plainface.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife is going to kick my ass.
plainface.gif

Lol
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 24
I went through the same dilemma when getting my ZVM. I opted for the ZVM after seeing the ZVW in person...Thing's waaaay too big for my pockets, but that screen is AWESOME.

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 24
I've heard the sound quality is the same, as are most other features from the music standpoint; so, it comes down to how much video you plan to be watching. It you don't plan to be watching a lot of video, then no need for the extra weight and size. I don't understand what's not to like about the touch pad on the ZVM once the sensitivity has been set to low.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the sound quality is the same, as are most other features from the music standpoint; so, it comes down to how much video you plan to be watching. It you don't plan to be watching a lot of video, then no need for the extra weight and size. I don't understand what's not to like about the touch pad on the ZVM once the sensitivity has been set to low.

How do you set up the sensitivity to low?

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

I should get it by Friday. My wife is going to kick my ass.
plainface.gif

Upgraditis is a bitch huh
evil_smiley.gif

I hope it works out for you. The ZV:M touch pad was my biggest problem when I owned it. I never really got used to it even with sensitivity on low.

I like the iPod pad much better. What I miss most about the ZV:M is the 5-band EQ.

( sorry Bolardito, I forget how to change it...it's in the menu somewhere )

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you set up the sensitivity to low?

From the main menu:

System> Player Settings> TouchPad> Sensitivity.

Sensitivity is low, medium, or high. The default is medium I believe. Mine is on low and even on that setting I will hit it hard enough at times to be thrown to a different menu.

I can work around it, so that's not the main reason why I'm sending it back. Even though I'm a music guy first, I really think I'm going to like that bigger screen on the ZVW, plus the fact that the A/V, DC in, and USB jacks are built into the player and don't require some adapter to interface it with a PC, amps, etc. Knowing my luck, I would get to where I would want to start playing around with video files. I just know I would regret getting the ZVM due to the small screen and hard drive.

Btw...the wife saw where I ordered the ZVW. Needless to say she wasn't happy.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

From the main menu:

System> Player Settings> TouchPad> Sensitivity.

Sensitivity is low, medium, or high. The default is medium I believe. Mine is on low and even on that setting I will hit it hard enough at times to be thrown to a different menu.

I can work around it, so that's not the main reason why I'm sending it back. Even though I'm a music guy first, I really think I'm going to like that bigger screen on the ZVW, plus the fact that the A/V, DC in, and USB jacks are built into the player and don't require some adapter to interface it with a PC, amps, etc. Knowing my luck, I would get to where I would want to start playing around with video files. I just know I would regret getting the ZVM due to the small screen and hard drive.

Btw...the wife saw where I ordered the ZVW. Needless to say she wasn't happy.

Thanks a lot

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot

No problem. Any time my friend.

Update.

Just got the ZVW in today. I have to admit, I was a little bit worried that I might have went over board with this unit even though I wished I had it after using the ZVM for a while.

All that changed when I opened the box and plugged in the wall charger. I played some of the demo vids and was blown away. I also got my M-1 waist pack from Maxpedition. I had concerns that I would have to send it back for fear of it being too small. I can fit the ZVW, snug fit, in the front pocket and still have room for a portable amp, my cell phone, and earphones in the main center pocket. Man this thing has butt loads of pockets!!

Jun 16, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to pick up a ZV:W, it's such a gorgeous player with a drop dead screen.

Might want to look at the archos 605 when it comes out soon, 800x480 screen resolution! (zvw is 480x272) http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/field-not...pmp-268985.php
For details.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 24
what worries me about the ZVW is that its MTP, while the cowon A2 and the archos are MSC, well the archos needs the costum dock to sync, and the ZVW has the compact flash slot, which can come in usfull,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back