Zen Vision M: Help me organize my music.
Jan 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
I have a zen vision m and I was trying to put all my music in lossless. since it only supports wav, I chose that. Then I find out I can't tag wav files and edit the artist, genre, etc. So basically my problem is:
I ripped my music in flac from foobar and I can get all the artitist info etc, the I converted it to Wav so I could put it onto my Zen. Now I need to find out a way to organize the music.. right now it's a huge list going numerically, so songs not in artist or albuk order, just numerical
Anyone with a zen v:M know how to do this?

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 10
anyone?
it takes me 5 minutes just to find one song I want...
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 10
would something like media monkey work? im not too sure, but it gets alot of praises. i would suggest going to media monkey forums and asking over there or maybe do a search .

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 10
I think you have to accept that WAV isn't useful for a portable player especially one that doesn't support filetree. I doubt you'll hear the difference over a 320 MP3 and you'll have your tags.

Otherwise you can use something like MediaMonkey to rename the tracks into something useful, and Sync with Vision.

Clapton - Time Pieces - 01. Laya.Wav

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I think you have to accept that WAV isn't useful for a portable player especially one that doesn't support filetree. I doubt you'll hear the difference over a 320 MP3 and you'll have your tags.

That's the answer.

Many/most portable players use embedded file tags for library organization (including the ZVM.) Some also support using filenames but this is a very poor second. Using .WAV over high-bitrate compressed music on a portable player will gain you absolutely nothing but decreased battery life (and tagging headaches) and I can't think of any logical reason to do it.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 10
ok, I see. So I should just rip in mp3s at the highest bitrate possible? I was interested in having lossless, though, because sometimes I use my zen as a source... .
ILikeMusic, the only lossless format the zen supports is wav., so that's why I was interested in it. I have considered rockboxing, but because it's not perfect yet I'm keeping the stock firmware.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 10
I have a vision m and rip everything in 320 vbr and think they sound fine. I use the packaged software and think it does a great job with audio and video.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

ILikeMusic, the only lossless format the zen supports is wav., so that's why I was interested in it.

Ah, OK, I see. In response to that I would say that you really don't need to use a lossless format in a portable device. In spite what you may read here it's a very rare individual who can really resolve high-bitrate compressed music (using a modern encoder) from the source. Lossless formats are the right choice for archiving purposes but the best option for your player is to convert to a compressed format before downloading. This will give you much better battery life, save a lot of space on the hard drive, and provide for easy tag management.

I would suggest that you use the LAME MP3 encoder with the -V0 switch. This will give you an essentially transparent (audibly identical to the original) result with a more efficient file size than 320 CBR.

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
320 vbr and think they sound fine

mp3 encoding (standard encoding anyway) peaks at 320kbit/s - you don't get '320VBR'.

To the OP I suggest encoding your music to mp3 using the LAME -V0 switch, or maybe you can try a few ABX/transparency tests to see whether -V2 is transparent or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back