Zen V Plus anyone?
Nov 12, 2006 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nineohtoo

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to know if anyone was using this little gadget for their portable rig?

I plan on swooping up a 4gb tomorrow. How's the sound quality on it? I'm probably gonna pick up a cmoy, to amp it and store it lol.

It seems the weapon of choice on the boards are ipods, and for the smaller sized units, a nano. I kind of wanted a 4gb, but it didn't come in black, and was $40 more than the zen which was about the same weight and could do so much more, whether or not I would need those features.

Can anyone give a comparison between these and an iPod, or even an iPods lineout which people claim to be really good? Should I fess up and pay the extra cash for a black 8gb, or will the Zen's sound be as good, especially through an amp? Thanks!

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 4
im also on the verge of buying a Zen V Plus 4Gb ... so im REALLY love a few comments on good/bad points on these players please!! and pretty quick while creative have them on discount online
biggrin.gif

main things im worried about is i heard the recharge time is 6 hours? seems very long for a battery with only a 14 hour life span?

Also im sure i saw something about it stores tracks alphabeticaly? not by track number? is this right?
Please if anyone can put my mind at rest as to these being good/bad id be really greatfull..... all ive done for 4 days is spend 8 hours a day scouring forums and websites trying to decide on a player.. its beginning to drive me mad looking!! lol

please save me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 4
Alright. I've had a little bit of time to play with it. I don't think there's much that I can add to other reviews online that rave about it. It definitely lives up to the hype as an MP3 player.

I've tossed some J-Pop on it that I commonly listen to on my now sold 5th gen 30GB iPod. My modified MDR-EX90LPs were used, I didn't bother with the stock buds. I tested them and looked for details I could hear when played through my speakers(Polk satellites+Infinity sub powered via Onkyo receiver).

Most songs sounded only a little better than they did on the iPod. However Miss You(m-flo x melody. x ryohei), from m-flo's Astromantic showed the largest improvement. melody.'s voice sounds intentionally muffled towards the beginning of the track, but the zen does a good job of not making it sound muddy. The bass in that track which didn't come off very well on an iPod, came out excellent here. I've felt that bass should be felt more than heard. The iPod made me hear the bass of that song like a rattling trunk in a car. This Zen just laid the bass in my ear. This was w/o the eq. Vocals sound so much more better now that I've played with it
biggrin.gif

Gonna get a cmoy and test my future SR-60s with the two as well. So far I'm very happy. I can't find anything to be unsatisfied with from the MUSIC abilities. I haven't tried photos, and probably never will. The Screen looks way too small to appreciate any video, but I think I might toss some music videos on it. But given the price point, $155 totally beats out the iPod's $200 price point with much more futures, however a slightly shorter battery life. But really, in an age where techies live off batteries like they do water, battery life going past 12 hours is usually more than adequate unless you're traveling and absolutely can't charge the unit.

Here's a pic of mine:

30ijlw7.jpg

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Ask yourself what your needs for an mp3 player of this calibre are. What's most important? For looks and build I think the nano wins out, and its 24 hour battery life (not understated) is phenomenal. The Creative wins out in in sound by itself, but as far as I know, no line-out, something I think is hugely beneficial when using an amp (as much as I have read). I say go for the nano but if you NEED the fm tuner and could use the extra money (don't even think about the video..) then go for the zen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back