Zen V:M LOD connector????
May 30, 2007 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wgr73

1000+ Head-Fier
Why will the "qables" LOD I just bought not fit my ZVM??? Do I need to apply force when I push it in? It fits my Ipods fine with ease...

May 30, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 14
As far as I know iPods and Creative products do NOT use the same connector. It'll fit one or the other, but not both (sounds like you ordered the iPod cable). Do NOT force the connector into your ZVM or risk damage to the player and/or cable.

May 30, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 14
You know, I had the same thing when i first attempted to get an ipod connector to fit my ZVM (working on my own DIY ZVM LOD), i ended up getting a tiny, tiny slot screwdriver and pressing down these "runners" inside my zen and on the connector, and eventually was able to get a clean fit.

WARNING: Don't take my advice and go shoving stuff in there. If it looks like it could fit however, and is a 30 pin connector, see if you can feel where the stoppage is by gently testing it. DONT damage the connector in the Zen, or you are royally ****ed. DONT touch the pins, just see if you can see where it doesnt fit.

If you can post pics of the front end of the LOD and the slot in the Zen, I can probably help more.

DONT force anything. Last thing you want is a broken, warrenty voided zen.

May 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you can post pics of the front end of the LOD and the slot in the Zen, I can probably help more.

Will do later tonight! Thanks!

May 30, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 14
By the way: do the slim line LOD click together, or glue together?

May 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 14
This is what I ordered LOD...

I think this is what others (soloz) used to make their ZVM LOD

May 30, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 14
Here is a pic:

ZEN

LOD

May 31, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 14
Ah hah, I see your problem. Assuming you have a Zen LOD, with the correct pinout for a zen, this mod should work.

Take a look here. Circled in red are the channels that the zen is having an issue fitting in.
lo002fx1ln0.jpg

And here, circled, are the prongs which wont fit in the channels.

loie5zi2.jpg

And here is a picture of my zen, with my camera (which can't focus in as far as yours) showing the slightly bent piece of metal.

dsc00257bc3.jpg

Just gently take a tiny screwdriver and move it to the left. Your LOD should fit.

(Not responsible for you breaking anything or screwing something up with an ipod LOD not made for a zen)

Hope this helps!

May 31, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 14
No, they don't. The Zen has a 10k resistor between the ground pins, and operates on pins 24 and 26 for signal. I'm pretty sure the ipod operates on pins 2 and 3, but don't quote me on that. It's in the "How i made an ipod LOD thread" if you need more info on ipod pinout.

They use the same physical connector, but the pins are different.

May 31, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 14
Cool, thanks! I'll give that a shot. Any tips on fitting the 10k resistor in the LOD?? I spent 2 hours trying to manuever this thing around, and still did not get it!

May 31, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 14
This is how I did it, shown in pic.
untitled.jpg

You bend the resister to a u-shape, that sort of curves in, then solder it to the pins. (Ground pins 17 and 25). Then you solder your ground wires to the resistor, like so. Solder the ground wires to the 1/8 plug, pin 24 to audio left, pin 26 to audio right, and you are good to go. The resistor i used is a 1/4 metal film 10k, if that helps.

When I have some free time, I'm gonna do a Zen vision M LOD tutorial, since it seems to be something people ask about.

Hope this helps!

May 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Cool. I tried bending it in a U like that, but it still had a hard time. I'll give it a shot tomorrow again. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Well I managed to make an ipod LOD out of the first ZVM LOD since I messed it up! I figured out the problem too! The grooves on top of the LOD are spaced to far apart to fit the Zen. So I chipped at them with a small screwdriver to bring the gap closer together, this fixed it!! It took me 30 minutes this time to make the LOD! It worked flawless on the first try...im gluing it now
wink.gif
. Thanks for you guys' help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back