Zen Touch and different versions of same songs
Jul 31, 2005 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Achtung

New Head-Fier
Greetings.

I recently bought a Creative Zen Touch 20gb - not a bad DAP for the price. All was going well UNTIL, I added songs that were different versions to the ones I had on the Player but had the same name.

For example - I am a big rock music fan and have a lot of U2 stuff - not only their albums, but live concerts. So obviously I will have say an album version of Vertigo, aswell as a Live gig version of Vertigo.

But the Touch says these are the same song so I cant put them on?

I'm using Windows Media Player to do this. So when I put CD on to my computer with WMP, they go into a file called My Music. This then creates files for Artists e.g. a U2 file. This U2 file will have a subfile, of every album e.g. Joshua Tree, Pop, Live in Dublin, Blood Red Sky etc etc.

So on some of these albums is the same song, different version.

How can I get around this problem?

I'm not exactly a whizz with computers so any help would be great!!

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi there.

I use the creative media software. It has the capacity to manually rename songs before you load them onto the player. It's a simple matter of highlighting the song title, deleting it, and typing in a new title, eg "Vertigo2".

Try that, and let me know if it works.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Achtung
Greetings.

I recently bought a Creative Zen Touch 20gb - not a bad DAP for the price. All was going well UNTIL, I added songs that were different versions to the ones I had on the Player but had the same name.

For example - I am a big rock music fan and have a lot of U2 stuff - not only their albums, but live concerts. So obviously I will have say an album version of Vertigo, aswell as a Live gig version of Vertigo.

But the Touch says these are the same song so I cant put them on?

I'm using Windows Media Player to do this. So when I put CD on to my computer with WMP, they go into a file called My Music. This then creates files for Artists e.g. a U2 file. This U2 file will have a subfile, of every album e.g. Joshua Tree, Pop, Live in Dublin, Blood Red Sky etc etc.

So on some of these albums is the same song, different version.

How can I get around this problem?

I'm not exactly a whizz with computers so any help would be great!!

The Creative software labels songs by their ID3 tag, so if the "Title" field and "Artist" field are the same, and the "Album" field is empty, it will assume it's the same song. To fix this, just put "Live Concert" the "Album" field or label it as "Live Concert" in the title or something. Note, the "Comments" field is not recognized.

Aug 1, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi thanks for your help both of you.

Just one thing - what is an ID3 tag? I assume its a technical way of naming a track? As I said, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 11
An ID3 tag is a small bit of data that tells song info (artist, album, etc).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Well with WMP - you can actually edit the Title/Album name/Artist etc before you burn onto your PC. Then when you have it on the PC and view the file, you can edit the name of the band, each album and the name of the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back