Zen Touch 20gb or Xtra 40gb.. at the same price?
Apr 13, 2005 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Borky

Head-Fier
Compuplus has the 20gb Touch and 40gb Xtra for about the same price, $215. I've narrowed my mp3 player selection between those two, but I can't decide if it's worth it to sacrifice 40gb in return for the Touch's features. I've heard the sound quality is the same on both, is that correct.

So what you do guys recommend I get? I have a large library (over 100gb) so there would be plenty of stuff around to fill those extra 20gb. I just don't know how problematic the Xtra would be to use compared to the Touch.

I listen to mostly hip/hop and electronic stuff so whichever is better for that, or maybe there's an alternative?

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 13
If it were up to me, I would go with the Touch, because frankly the Xtra is very big. It won't fit in your pocket, unless you wear cargo pants all the time. If you have some kind of case you are willing to carry around, then go with the Xtra. I just think it's too big.

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 13
If you have a huge library, you'll probably want the Xtra. I'd go try one out in person, though.The only thing I really don't like about my Xtra sometimes is its size- but that's not too much of a problem. Oh, and I also have a problem with the battery life (I average about 6-7 hrs- that's with playing 320 mp3).

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Touch's features?

Creative got rid of tons of features when they went from Xtra -> Touch. The only differences between the Touch and Xtra are the size and design/touchpad.

Also, the Xtra is only a bit wider and taller than the Touch, the thickness is the same. http://www.dapreview.net/comparisons/compared.html

If the Xtra is too big for you, then the Touch will also be too big for you.

P.S. You can manually upgrade the Xtra's HD up to 80GB (i've read about 100GB upgrades on nomadness, but there's no proof that it's been done yet).

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Anyone know what >$50 headphones work well with the Touch? I'd like something to give me lots of good, clean bass, in addition to good mids. I mostly play hip-hop and electronic stuff, but I do listen to rock every now and then.

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
Anyone know what >$50 headphones work well with the Touch? I'd like something to give me lots of good, clean bass, in addition to good mids. I mostly play hip-hop and electronic stuff, but I do listen to rock every now and then.

Just do a search in the headphone board. suggested keywords: less 50 bass rap . if you really cant find what your looking for (search more than once or twice
wink.gif
) then go ahead and post a thread about it. You should also include key words like closed, isolating, open, portable, and things like that depending on what kind of headphones you want.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 13
I owned the Zen Xtra for a month and it sounded pretty good with my PX-100's. Good bass. overall a warm, full sound.

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
the touch has no extra features over the xtra. get the xtra for the extra space if you need it.

The Touch has a remote control port. With the remote control, you can also listen and record FM radio and record voice.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back