Zen Neeon vs Ipod Mini
Jun 1, 2005 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

leogeo

New Head-Fier
i was contemplating between these 2 and was wondering which was better

in my opinion

Neeon
Good: bigger storage size, FM radio, recording, cheap
Bad: maybe the scroller at the side (heard it was difficult to navigate through thousands of songs)

Ipod Mini
Good: sleek design, good scrollbar surface
Bad: heavy, no radio/recording

anyone care to offer comments on which is better?

i currently lean more towards the Neeon side..

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 17
I'd go for the Neeon. It looks like a nice little (actually really little) player from Creative. My only complaint would be that the screen is a little small, however from the pictures I've seen of it, it actually doesn't appear to be that bad.

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 17
the neeon has 4 lines of display, so it is better than the muvo2, which only had a one line display. the strong points of the neeon are its tiny size, the radio, mic and line-in recording and battery life. navigation is slower than the ipod wheel. if the bugs do not bother you, then i think that the neeon is quite a good deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
the neeon has 4 lines of display, so it is better than the muvo2, which only had a one line display. the strong points of the neeon are its tiny size, the radio, mic and line-in recording and battery life. navigation is slower than the ipod wheel. if the bugs do not bother you, then i think that the neeon is quite a good deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

cool..thanks for your feedback!

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 17
The Neeon just seems like a Muvo TX FM with a 4 line display, more storage, and colored backlit display. If the toggle wheel is the same, IMO leogeo you should headover to an electronics shop and play with the toggle wheel of a Muvo flash player just to get the feel of it first.

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leogeo
cool..thanks for your feedback!

welcome.
biggrin.gif
the first impression that most of my friends had when they saw the neeon was the incredibly small size for a 5gb player.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 17
Is the Neeon even available in North America yet and if so how much are they going for?

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 17
I think the mini is heavy, but I didn't notice it until I held other mp3 players of similar size and capacity. The aluminum housing is rather thick. It seems rugged, but it dents easily if you drop it, and the dents look nasty, as the paint is only on the surface and beneath is just dark gray aluminum.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 17
what? ipodlounge.com (ok I know they're biased): they say mini is made with anodisation process where inside of metal is hollowed out, then mini insides are put in. Colour is applied in anodisation process so it doesn't scratch off easy. They also said mini feels well built, like they could stand on it. Well anything to promote Apple........

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 17
The mini is probably better in feature and ease of use.
Now, IMHO, what is also very important is the software.
And iTunes holds the leads here way ahead of other apps.
+ you have the music store that has way more songs than any other site.

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 17
The iPod mini is heavy when compared to the Neeon. The mini has a weight of 3.6 oz while the Neeon's is only 2.6 oz. That is extremely light for a hard drive player.

The Zen Neeon is a mass storage device (like the Rio Carbon), meaning you just drag and drop music onto the player. You could of course use software if you wanted, but to drag and drop music is a nice feature.

It definitely beats the mini in features though. FM radio/recorder, voice recorder, line-in encoding, changeable backlight colors...pretty much the same as the Micro (minus the removable battery, but adding line-in.)

There is a nice review of the Zen Neeon here: Zen Neeon Review

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
The Neeon just seems like a Muvo TX FM with a 4 line display, more storage, and colored backlit display. If the toggle wheel is the same, IMO leogeo you should headover to an electronics shop and play with the toggle wheel of a Muvo flash player just to get the feel of it first.

oh...i have a creative nomad player myself...but it's only 128 MB and i want an upgrade...haha..so i have a feel of what the toggle wheel is like already..

just a sidetrack, anyone know where to sell my current MP3 player? besides ebay?

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
what? ipodlounge.com (ok I know they're biased): they say mini is made with anodisation process where inside of metal is hollowed out, then mini insides are put in. Colour is applied in anodisation process so it doesn't scratch off easy. They also said mini feels well built, like they could stand on it. Well anything to promote Apple........

umm...don't think the casing of the mini is made that way. that would be a very expensive process if a hole was dug from a solid piece of alumimiun and the cost of the mini would shoot up. anodisation might be true though. i think most metal casings have anodised paint so that it won't come off easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back