Zen Micro sound characteristics?
Mar 17, 2005 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

coffeeaddict

Head-Fier
Hey, since I trust HeadFi about audio stuff more than anyone else..
280smile.gif

I'm looking at getting a Zen Micro to replace my buggy Rio Nitrus for my DAP needs. I'm just wondering as to the Zen Micro's sound- if there's bass roll-off/treble roll-off, the quality of the custom equalizer, how well it drives headphones compared to other DAPs, etc.

Comparisons to the iPod series' sound quality/usability would be really helpful too.

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
I'm just wondering as to the Zen Micro's sound- if there's bass roll-off/treble roll-off, the quality of the custom equalizer, how well it drives headphones compared to other DAPs, etc.

Comparisons to the iPod series' sound quality/usability would be really helpful too.

Note: this is all in my opinion
No bass or treble roll off, the EQ is quality and does its job well but its nothing like how good the karma EQ is. Its a fairly weak player compared to others but it will drive anything up to 64ohms fairly easily. anything above that i would look into buying a cheap amp in addition to the micro.

The ipod is rumored to have rolled off lows which im not so sure is true. But the EQ does blow, it distorts the music and i just cant stand the ipod EQ. The weird thing is, if you arnt used to using the ipod and you use your micro for a while, and then use the ipod, the ipod feels really weird and awkward. If your comming from a flash drive or something other than the ipod you wont mind the slight learning curve that comes with the micro's touch pad.

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 4
True, Zen Micro has awesome sound quality !

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
The ipod is rumored to have rolled off lows which im not so sure is true. But the EQ does blow, it distorts the music and i just cant stand the ipod EQ. The weird thing is, if you arnt used to using the ipod and you use your micro for a while, and then use the ipod, the ipod feels really weird and awkward. If your comming from a flash drive or something other than the ipod you wont mind the slight learning curve that comes with the micro's touch pad.

The bass roll off "problem" with the iPod almost kept me from buying one. I have to say that I'm glad that I finally got down to the Apple Store to listen to the iPod myself with my A500s.

I ended up buying a 2G iPod mini for the time being, as I want to see if Apple completely does away with the standard iPod later this year and makes the Photo the standard iPod while lowering the price another $50.

Anyway.. my A500s straight out of the iPod mini headphone jack, using --alt-preset standard LAME 3.96.1 encoded MP3s have about the same amount of bass as my Pioneer DV578A-s hooked up to my Pioneer receiver with the "loudness" setting turned on. It's not "car-stereo-vibrate-my-ears-off" bass, but it's definitely present, strong, deep, and realistic. Oh, I'm not using any EQ either.

The sound quality with my A500s is far better than I could have imagined, espicially with all of the negative comments about the iPod's supposed lack of bass and how non-Apple fans try and play down the iPod.

I have to give Apple props with the battery life too. On my first charge, using my A500s and about 65% volume, same MP3s, no EQ, and a bit of backlight/menu usage, I got about 23 hours and 38 minutes of battery life. On my second charge I got 25 hours and 7 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back