ZD as Preamp?
Feb 8, 2009 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the question:

Can I use the ZD's preamp out into an integrated amp using one of the line-level inputs (CD/AUX/Tuner) of the integrated amp? Boy, that question even confused me.

I've got an AKG K1000 on the way (yes...Yes...YEs...YES!!!!!) and want to use the system I have my ZD hooked up to, but have only got one pair of monoblock amps which I'm using in my 2-channel (speaker) setup. But, I've got a few integrated amps that I can use to drive the K1K's.

So I got to thinking and it seems like there shouldn't be a problem hooking up the ZD's preamp out into an integrated amp's CD input or something and using that amp to drive the K1K.

It's doable, right?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 10
You'd be running preamp->preamp->amp that way. A second preamp won't help the sound and you might overload the integrated you're running the Zana into. The line level inputs are just that, the circuit probably isn't designed to handle an input higher than a CD player's input. You'll magnify distortion that way, too.

The better solution would be to connect a selector switch/box to the output of your monoblocks. Connect the speakers to one set of taps and the K-1000 speaker tail to the other. Have a switch to select between them. I don't know if there's sonething like that on the market, but it would be an easy DIY project. You could even put a four pin jack on the box. It'd certainly be cheaper than buying another power amp.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, Uncle.

Messing with the monoblocks is out, as they're in my music room downstairs and the ZD system in upstairs in my little vinyl nook. I was really hoping to not have to have another entire system (CDP/TT+phono pre) upstairs (not enough shelf space at the moment and one phono pre short).

Maybe for the time being, I'll just convert the ZD to vinyl only and slide the CDP into the integrated amp for driving the K1K's. Man, I wish I had kept the VTL tiny tots or Aleph 2's. Damn!

Now I go in search of amps to drive the AKG's.

Thanks for the information about the possible overload.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Uncle.

Messing with the monoblocks is out, as they're in my music room downstairs and the ZD system in upstairs in my little vinyl nook. I was really hoping to not have to have another entire system (CDP/TT+phono pre) upstairs (not enough shelf space at the moment and one phono pre short).

Maybe for the time being, I'll just convert the ZD to vinyl only and slide the CDP into the integrated amp for driving the K1K's. Man, I wish I had kept the VTL tiny tots or Aleph 2's. Damn!

Now I go in search of amps to drive the AKG's.

Thanks for the information about the possible overload.

Bryston - Speaker Switch Box-Audio Advisor

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 10
I think if you use an older vintage reciever that has preamp inputs, it wil work well. I have a Marantz 2270 and I have tried it with a Little Dot amp with a preamp output. I plugged it into the Marantz's preamp input which voided the volume knob control. As a result, I had to use the volume control on the Little dot amp. The result was very good. I liked the sound.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 10
The Bryston Speaker Switch Box looks like a good solution. I went to the site and saw the pic below of its internals. Can's help but wonder what it would do to the sound considering many use heavy gage speaker wires and this box uses tiny board traces. Would someone please comment if it is a valid issue or not. Thanks.

BrystonSpeakerSwitchbox.jpg

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Those traces are extremely wide for a PCB. Not that it makes much difference. You're forced to run the signal through small wires/traces in any stereo setup. Even if you have heavy gauge point-to-point throughout, you're still going to run into hair-thin wire in a voicecoil.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 10
I think you just want to share one source with two amps: your pre-amp and an integrated for your K1000.
Easiest way to do that would be to use the tape loop out of the integrated amp. Connect your source to the integrated and connect the tape loop of the integrated to the input of your pre-amp.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you just want to share one source with two amps: your pre-amp and an integrated for your K1000.
Easiest way to do that would be to use the tape loop out of the integrated amp. Connect your source to the integrated and connect the tape loop of the integrated to the input of your pre-amp.

Hmmm...never even thought of that. That's the way I'll do it (at least for now). I'll run CDP/TT into my DIA 100 and run that out to the ZD.

That will definitely work.

Thanks, Kees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back