Zappa fans.
Jun 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abouna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after not listening to it since I was a small kid (and couldn't get into it) I picked up Hot Rats and can't get over the excellent guitar in Willie the Pimp.

Can you officianados direct me to more of the same?

Shut_Up__N__Play_Yer_Guitar.jpg

Zappa: Shut Up 'N Play yer Guitar; 2-CD Set; RYKODISK RCD10028 & RCD10029

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #32 of 52
I was listening to Bongo Fury the other day. It's amazing that Zappa's live albums, at least from the 70s, had all not previously released material. I can't think of any other rock band that's done that. Most live albums just contain live versions of previous studio releases. Not Zappa

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing that Zappa's live albums, at least from the 70s, had all not previously released material. I can't think of any other rock band that's done that.

Joe Jackson's album, Big World, was all new material played live. He asked the audience to pause before applauding so that the album could be edited to sound like a studio album.

Of course, in jazz and classical (two worlds to which Zappa was very close) it's very unusual for albums to be "studio" albums in the first place.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joe Jackson's album, Big World, was all new material played live. He asked the audience to pause before applauding so that the album could be edited to sound like a studio album.

Of course, in jazz and classical (two worlds to which Zappa was very close) it's very unusual for albums to be "studio" albums in the first place.

I can't imagine what some of the audiences thought at Miles Davis' concerts when he introduced fusion. Most of those albums are live new material and probably nothing like what the audience was expecting.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to Bongo Fury the other day. It's amazing that Zappa's live albums,

A truly great recording. In fact, my brother and I nicknamed his grilfriend - I am going back nearly twenty years ago - 'Bongo Fury' because of her sizable ta-ta's. Yes, Frank's lexicon is easy to incorporate into daily life. I am looking forward to my second ZPZ show next month in Boca Raton, FL. It is great that Dweezil keeps his father's music alive!

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #36 of 52
I'd like to meet a gal nicknamed bongo fury
biggrin.gif

I finally heard some samples from Jazz From Hell, Franks' synclavier stuff...er, I'm not too sure I liked it (shock that was!) It's not the music -it's the instrument. Does his synclavier stuff grow on you? I sure hope so...

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #37 of 52
His worst is Francesco Zappa. He found some manuscripts from a 17th century composer by that name and played the music on synclavier.

It's interesting that Jazz from Hell was the only album he won a Grammy for. Shows you how worthless a Grammy is. I'm kind of amazed he won it because that album can't have sold very well and that's usually what gets the Grammy.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"sleep dirt"

Get Lather. It's how he wanted to release the music that ended up on Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites, Studio Tan, Live in New York, and a few tracks that ended up on Sheik Yer Booty.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #43 of 52
I have Sleep Dirt & Studio Tan. Still worth getting the Lather set?

Second thoughts -you're right -it is!

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #44 of 52
The only reason I wouldn't get Lather is if you already have Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan, and a Live in New York with Punky's Whips. That's the majority of Lather anyway and every track from those 3 are on Lather. IMO, Sleep Dirt and Studio Tan contain some of Zappa's best music. Except for Let Me Take You to the Beach, my absolutely least favorite Zappa song. If you don't have all three of these, the question would be what you want to buy, the ones you don't have or Lather.

About half of Orchestral Favorites is on Lather, and looking at the track list, I'm going to be buying it for the other half.

Three tracks from Sheik Yer Booty are on Lather, Trying to Grow a Chin, City of Tiny Lites, and Broken Hearts are for ********. Alright songs, but I wouldn't by a 3 CD set just for those.

I personally wouldn't want to do without Lather because of one of 2 tracks that are only available there. Down in De Dew is one of my favorite guitar solos by any artist. The other track is For the Young Sophisticate, a rock song similar to the tracks on Sheik Yer Booty, but with Zappa singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back