Zander's Mahler
Jan 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
Zander's Mahler:

I decided to list this post as a separate thread, because I thought it would also be of interest to folks who don't frequent the Mahler thread.

I think the Zander cycle currently underway on Telarc is a GREAT place to start a Mahler journey. I now have them all (1,3,4,5,6, and 9), and eagerly await the rest of the series (I heard that 2 is next; that ought to be something really special). These are all wonderful performances with great sonics; I have not found a particularly weak link among them. To my mind they slaughter the MTT series (which I also like); it's too bad tha they aren't all available on SACD (only 1, 3, 5 and 6 are, to my knowledge).

Of course, the really nice feature is the discussion disc. Every one of the symphones comes with a separate 80-minute lecture on the work being played! These are quite interesting, especially for new listeners, and they will help anyone to understnd the works being considered. For example, the ninth comes with a reprint of the first two pages of the score, and the lecture disc provides amazing insight into how they should be conducted.

Bottom line: I recommend the Zander set to all, and especially those new to Mahler. Experienced Mahlerites will have favorites besides these, of course, but there is nothing wrong with any one of the Zander set.

P.S. If you get a chance, there is a great interview with Zander in this month's issue of The Absolute Sound.

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 4
In general, Zander's SACDs are also less expensive than the MTT recordings which is definitely a point in their favor.
wink.gif

Edit: Doc, is there a link to the article or is it only on paper?

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
In general, Zander's SACDs are also less expensive than the MTT recordings which is definitely a point in their favor.
wink.gif

Edit: Doc, is there a link to the article or is it only on paper?

Just paper for now I think. A lot of TAS stuff eventually gets online at www.avguide.com, but I think that's mostly equipment reviews.

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Being more of a Boulez fan, I don't have all that many of the Zander (in fact, I just looked and only have the M3). However, they are well done. The extra discs are really quite nice for a lecture about the piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back