Zana Duex!
Nov 26, 2005 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
A review is still forth comming. However, I am back from Chi. Town and have spent a weeks vacation time with the Zana D. The Zana Duex is a horse of a different color. No, it's not colored in sound. But it is different than the pillowy softness and liquidity you would sink into with Craigs other amps. [size=small]A direct unaltered quote from Craigs latest e-mail: ["Overall the Zana Duex is the best headphone amp that I make"] end of quote.[/size] This statement was previously held in place for the Black Rose. For myself, I admit that I have not heard the Black Rose. But hearing that comment blew me away. And, yes, I believe that the comment could be true for all, but a reserve has been placed on it, by me, in fairness; due to my not hearing the Black Rose. My past comment related to the SinglePower regular amps vs. the Slam versions, still stands. This may well be a Black Rose, "Slam" version. Those are my words not Eddie Currents. This is a fast, robust, heavy hitting version of Eddie Current. But bear in mind what I said about the dangers and costs associated with the 6C33B tube. [size=medium]GULP!....."SWEAT""".[/size] As stated before: This amp was purchased and paid for, by me, from Eddie Current. Also I am not an employee or recieve compensation for my writings or thoughts in any way. More to follow.
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Mikey,

Have you tried the OTL Zana Deux with any lower impedance 'phones such as Grado (32 ohms) or Sony (70 ohms)? I have been talking to Craig via email and am looking for an amp for my PS-1s and Qualias (when I get back to Scotland to open the box!). He thinks the Grados need a transformer-coupled amp to work at their best but it would be useful to hear someone else's opinion.

Cheers,

Col

Nov 27, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 10
I kinda agree with what Craig said, if you want to split hairs. But that is for an absolute optimal perfect situation based on math put to paper and probably true to the ear as well. However, take Single Power OTL amps for instance. You could make the same case. But people do listen to them with Grado's and they love that combo. I have no problem with a Grado and the Zana Duex. They should be a great pair together. Remember, Craig was insistant for me to try the Zana Duex with the first tube pairing (rev. A) he thought would be the best, hands down. Now the Zana Duex has been rebuilt with the tube pairing as I wanted (rev. B) and we both know now it is by far the better choice. I bet he would say WOW, listening to the Zana Duex with Grado's too.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Craig told me when I was at his place listening to the Zana Deux that he never heard the RS-1s sound as good as they did with the Zana. He usually prefers his HD600, yet found his RS-1s appealing with the Zana as well.

When I listened to the Zana with my SR225s I thought it was fine, but I didn't have my source and cables. But I trust Craig's opinion on these types of issues.

Even Craig said some people might prefer the more laid back sound presentation of the Blackrose or the EC2A3 over the Zana.

The Zana has major impact and is quite punchy compared to the previous Eddie Current amps mentioned. It kinda rattles the cans on you head while you listen and makes your eyes blink and pop; “like wow--you can really feel it as you hear it.
eek.gif
” I didn't have enough time to spend with the Zana nor did I have my gear and even though I like the Zana a whole lot, I thought it might be trying on my ears during long listening sessions. I should mention that my ears are quite sensitive so take this with a grain of salt. And this is purely an assumption on my part.

As we all know, the best is a subjective thing based on a particular listener’s preference and gear. In my opinion, all the Eddie Current amps that I have heard so far have been remarkable to say the least. I couldn’t say that one is better or the best of them, but each has it own unique character, charm, and are rewarding in different ways.

Mikey: are those big tubes hard to get? How much does a pair cost, if you don’t mind to share?

If I wanted another amp, it would be the Zana Deux.

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Mikey: are those big tubes hard to get? How much does a pair cost, if you don’t mind to share?

Hi 909:

Mikey01 will, of course, respond with his own info, but I was able to locate some at this establishment http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product....d=513&catid=39 for about forty bucks a pop--fifty bucks a pop if you want samples from a late 1970's production run with an old style logo. However, I am not sure what the “B” qualifier in the 6C33B designation means, so these might not be the exact same tube.

Best Regards,
Nick

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick
Hi 909:

Mikey01 will, of course, respond with his own info, but I was able to locate some at this establishment http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product....d=513&catid=39 for about forty bucks a pop--fifty bucks a pop if you want samples from a late 1970's production run with an old style logo. However, I am not sure what the “B” qualifier in the 6C33B designation means, so these might not be the exact same tube.

Best Regards,
Nick

That price sounds about right. I only know the tube as being made a 6C33B and wonder if they just diden't shortchange the title to 6C33.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Was there ever an official review of this amp? If so, I've tried searching and can't find it.

Any new word on availability and/or price? I'm interested in trying one with my HP-2's.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Craig said, about 3 weeks ago, that he was going to build 5 all out deluxe versions of the Zana Duex. See Craig, of (EddieCurrent.com) and ask him, hows the going on the 5 Zana's.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colhd
Mikey,

Have you tried the OTL Zana Deux with any lower impedance 'phones such as Grado (32 ohms) or Sony (70 ohms)? I have been talking to Craig via email and am looking for an amp for my PS-1s and Qualias (when I get back to Scotland to open the box!). He thinks the Grados need a transformer-coupled amp to work at their best but it would be useful to hear someone else's opinion.

Cheers,

Col

The Zana drove the 62 ohm impedence AKG 701's without breaking a sweat when I listened to the amp. The 6C33 can drive lots of current period.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colhd
Mikey,

Cheers,

Col

Col,

I have Craigs first ever Si2a3h amp (one of less than a handful in last remaining Moth chassis) and can tell you that it drives the PS-1's absolutely superbly. Best combination that I currently know of for sheer ultimate audio reproduction. When coupled with a great source, of course. I'm using a Meridian GO8.
I would check with Craig and ask if the Zana can drive the PS1's as well as my 2a3h, and I think you will know exactly where things are.
And where are you in Scotland? I made a trip there some years back, and plan to make the journey again. Wondrous scenery, great people, an endless supply of amazing pubs and ale, and world class fish and chips! What else can one ask for?
biggrin.gif

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back