Zalman ZM-MIC1
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flag

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any experience with this clip on mic? I've heard good an bad things, but I'm still looking to purchase it. If I can find it for a good price though (around $5).

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Should be good. Just get it; they are cheap and get good reviews. Just don't expect it to perform miracles.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 10
If they have clear output, and attach to my headphone, then it sounds good to me. But I just want to know if it will work well and last because 1) they are cheap so it may break easily? and 2) I've read that they can pick up a lot of sounds (not sure if that is a good or bad thing).

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 10
As apatN said.

You get what you pay for. Nowhere on a par with decent headsets in terms of results, but they're cheap & work as advertised. However for people who contend that they're as good as most gaming headsets... well that's when I point and laugh. Personally I use a headset for gaming and VoIP as for me, I have discovered that the results from the Zalman is a waste of time for when I need something like it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Well my situation is this. I got a Macbook Pro, and it doesn't allow me to use my mic on my headset unless I get a USB headset or a converter, so I started looking for a USB headset. Then I discovered that the audio from headsets are very bad compared to just headphones by themselves. These people just got a mic like the Zalman, so I thought it would be a good idea. The Zalman doesn't have outstanding reviews so that's why I'm not sure if I should get it or not.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my situation is this. I got a Macbook Pro, and it doesn't allow me to use my mic on my headset unless I get a USB headset or a converter, so I started looking for a USB headset. Then I discovered that the audio from headsets are very bad compared to just headphones by themselves. These people just got a mic like the Zalman, so I thought it would be a good idea. The Zalman doesn't have outstanding reviews so that's why I'm not sure if I should get it or not.

Like headphones if you buy crap, you get crap. The issue is that e.g. many of the supposed 'audiophiles' blow all their money on headphones hyped up here, spend $30 on a surround headset, find it sucks and says 'all headsets suck'. They get a Zalman because it's cheap. Then because it at least works to an extent and they can use their headphones, they say it's great. This builds up into a snowball of skewed opinions, like many things on Head-Fi. No-one is actually comparing like for like.

I bought a Zalman for exactly the same reason before I started a lot of Skyping, found the mic inadequate, then went for a radio-studio-style overkill approach, found that overbearing, decided to buy some headsets... and found the commonly held Head-Fi opinions to be dead wrong.

There are some decent sets around... admittedly not all of them fully Mac compatible. It just depends on what you want: Closed, open, etc. These days, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, the Astro A40 and the Logitech G35 are now my primary headphones as well as headsets on the bulk of my computers.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 10
I use a zalman for gaming, but I have mine clipped to the usb cable coming out of my keyboard aimed right at my face. It seems to work well, but not quite as well as my previous headsets. The slight reduction in mic quality is more than made up for by the massive improvement in using normal headphones instead of a combo headset.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like headphones if you buy crap, you get crap. The issue is that e.g. many of the supposed 'audiophiles' blow all their money on headphones hyped up here, spend $30 on a surround headset, find it sucks and says 'all headsets suck'. They get a Zalman because it's cheap. Then because it at least works to an extent and they can use their headphones, they say it's great. This builds up into a snowball of skewed opinions, like many things on Head-Fi. No-one is actually comparing like for like.

I bought a Zalman for exactly the same reason before I started a lot of Skyping, found the mic inadequate, then went for a radio-studio-style overkill approach, found that overbearing, decided to buy some headsets... and found the commonly held Head-Fi opinions to be dead wrong.

There are some decent sets around... admittedly not all of them fully Mac compatible. It just depends on what you want: Closed, open, etc. These days, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, the Astro A40 and the Logitech G35 are now my primary headphones as well as headsets on the bulk of my computers.

Oh man, now I need to consider headsets again? I just had it narrowed down to a ATH-AD700. Okay well which is an open headset(please tell me those are still suppose to be better quality)?

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Get the Zalman mic with the pair of phones you like.
wink.gif
I just had a skype conversation with someone and I noticed his clear mic. He said he bought it for 3€ at a local shop. Really.. just get something and see for yourself if it suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back