Zagg ZR-LE wood headphones, best of the Esmooth oems (?)
Apr 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
These are my impressions of the Zagg zr-le wood headphones- this is the bamboo model. Another obvious Esmooth oem, I have tried 3 others here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/710947/tribeca-wood-headphones-esmooth-oems-with-mixed-results . I have now tried all but the rectangular shaped Esmooth headphones. 
The Zagg are the best so far- very balanced across the spectrum from highs to lows, slightly V-shaped sound curve but no part of the sound is muffled, very clear and detailed in the highs and mids. Nice bass texture. Bass is balanced with rest of spectrum- these are not for bassheads. Most headfi types should love these, I found them preferable to the v-moda m80. These are on-ear.

Pros: Sound, wood cups, very light weight and comfortable, detachable cables, feels quality (mostly)

Cons: price- about $100 (got mine much less on ebay), feels too light to be tough enough to throw around, cable is thin and not braided like other esmooth headphones. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 17
these are going for $35 from zagg's website right now, for that price these are a bargain

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Just ordered a set off your review.  I noticed that each cup has a separate 3.5 mm plug, any recommendations for cable replacement if I want to upgrade the cable or get coiled cable.  I've contacted Zagg and the rep said they do not sell replacement cables.  I searched through a couple online cable sites and was unable to find a dual male 3.5 mm to single male 3.5 mm.  Would I have to run 2 separate 3.5 mm to a splitter, one website cautioned not to due this because it may damage the equipment.

Very new to the board not sure if these questions have been covered in another thread.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 17
Just ordered a set off your review.  I noticed that each cup has a separate 3.5 mm plug, any recommendations for cable replacement if I want to upgrade the cable or get coiled cable.  I've contacted Zagg and the rep said they do not sell replacement cables.  I searched through a couple online cable sites and was unable to find a dual male 3.5 mm to single male 3.5 mm. Would I have to run 2 separate 3.5 mm to a splitter, one website cautioned not to due this because it may damage the equipment.
Very new to the board not sure if these questions have been covered in another thread.

Nice looking headphones and seem to be good value.  Be curious to see how easy it would be to swap drivers.

Agree that the cable might merit replacing based on flimsy looks.  Where did you see that they were 3.5mm to 3.5mm?  Couldn't find that on Zagg's site. Esmooth's site just says (Plug: 3.5mm gold-plate) but the picture looks like it's 2x2.5mm --> 1x3.5mm...which would mean the Senn HD212 cable that Squallkiercosa recommended would work.  Kinda struggling with a $20 cable for a $35 headphone but am not easily finding an inexpensive option (monoprice, etc.)

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 17
Yeah, I'm struggling too with the price, these will be primarily used my desk and the short cable length will not suffice.  Considering just buying an extension and dealing with the cable when it fails. I believe I found the same item here

Bad assumption on my part regarding the 3.5 mm to each cup.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 17
  Yeah, I'm struggling too with the price, these will be primarily used my desk and the short cable length will not suffice.  Considering just buying an extension and dealing with the cable when it fails. I believe I found the same item here

Bad assumption on my part regarding the 3.5 mm to each cup.

Well that's a better price for the cable and at least and B&H is a solid dealer.  I've wanted to get a set of wood headphones any way.  

Still would be nice to know whether it's 2.5 to 3.5 or its 3.5 to 3.5.  Will see if if Zagg can answer that question; done, will post answer when received.

you  · a few seconds ago  

Is the cable 2 x 2.5mm to 1 x 3.5mm or is it 2 x 3.5mm to 1 x 3.5mm?

Thank you for submitting a question! Your question is being moderated and may take up to a few days to appear.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 17
the cable is 3.5 to dual mono 2.5. Might be tough to find a custom cable for these

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 17
Here is one that I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-stereo-3-5mm-to-2x-mono-2-5mm-male-Headphone-Cable-/400641725360?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d481b93b0

doesnt look special4

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 17
just got mine. They seem to sound ok at first listen. Build quality is alright for the price. The band is nice & comfy as are the ear pads. Wood cups aren't bad, tho I wonder if they could be polished to shine a bit. They're kinda dull (i got the ebony finish). Chord is definitely flimsy so I'd be curious to know if anyone finds a replacement, and if so does it help the sound at all. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 17
The plugs are 3.5mm to the source and 2.5mm to the cans. I got these when Zagg started discontinuing them and it dropped to $45. First thing I did was to change the cables as they are to thin and brittle so after searching around, I saw on Amazon, Sol Repiblic dual cables that are a match for these cans and cost $15 and is a thicker cable gauge.
These headphones are not the best at any price range but when I plug it into my FiiO e12 Mont Blanc headphone amp, it brings out the soundstage a little bit more, moreso on the mids.Anyhow they are a decent pair of cans for casual listening and are my backup to my AT-50s.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 17
I just received mine. I like how it sounds from Clip+ and from HeadStreamer.

Strong bass, very prone to casual listening, gym time, maybe noise environments (not really sure because I'm testing at home, but isolation seems to be enough).

But I mine's finish is really bad on right earcup and the cable is a crap with major bad contact at all ends... so in fact I can't move with this headphone with the cable provided because one of the sides stop playing randomly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back