Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Focal Utopia

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

banco-sg

100+ Head-Fier
I will just keep this short, i got bitten by TOTL bug, and i have been thinking ever since...
Should i let go my Z1R & HD800S, which i purchased recently, and get 1 Utopia instead?
Or should i just keep it for more versatility?

The only problem with utopia is the weight..., i can feel it on top of my head the minute i wear them, and i know i won't be able to wear them for hours without feeling the weight and pressure...

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 16
Personally Id rather have 2 headphones that compliment one another like your Sony and Senns....one has a bassy fun sound,and then the other is a legendary sound stage and detail mongerer.

The Utopia is a great headphone,but I like the ability to mix it up based upon genres/moods.

Either way you cant go wrong.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Well I for one will disagree I do not like the Sony's all that much I like the Utopias so much more but that would depend on source and amp. I've only heard the Sony from their Totl dap can't remember the name but it did not impress me much so I can't say more. Have only heard the 800S once from a HDV 800 and also didn't care much for it as I've heard the 800's not S sound much better modded and not. This is not a slam on either just haven't heard them from anything that I liked. I own a pair of 800's and love them . The Utopias I have heard a few times and on a amp I own the Amps and Sound Kenzie and from a DNA Sonett2 from a Gumby and from the Prototype Liquid Tungsten and Chord Dave the later was just pure awesome .

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Three great headphones! I have all three here and technically I would rank them:

1.) Utopia
2.) HD800S
3.) Z1R

In terms of head time, it would be:

1.) Utopia
2.) Z1R
3.) HD800S

Personally I would just go with the Utopias....or better still...all three! :p

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 16
Hahaha this makes my life difficult, if only utopia isnt that heavy, it would be an easy pick for me.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 16
Yes the Utopias are not very heavy at all.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 16
i totally agree with the built, it's so solid, i would rank them 1st and next would be Z1R.
It's just that utopia weight is quite a problem for me, same for elear, i can tell that they are heavy the minute i put them on.
I will do longer testing next time i suppose... i will see whether it will bug me after 30 minutes or so. this reminds me of my old DT880 (my 1st foray into headphone world), it always give me a headache after 15 minutes or so, due to the headband pressure. i guess our head and neck are different after all, and one might have better tolerance than the others

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 16
Just an update, i pull the trigger on utopia, and return my HD800S. It should be here next week.
I guess utopia's sound really outweight the weight lol. Jazz and classic, the strength of HD800, but utopia just does it better. I am sold...
Now i am deciding whether to sell my Z1R or just keep it... it's still very relaxing can though...

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 16
Just an update, i pull the trigger on utopia, and return my HD800S. It should be here next week.
I guess utopia's sound really outweight the weight lol. Jazz and classic, the strength of HD800, but utopia just does it better. I am sold...
Now i am deciding whether to sell my Z1R or just keep it... it's still very relaxing can though...

I can say that the Z1R and Utopia offer best of 2 worlds. One the upmost in transparency, neutrality and performance. The other IMO one of the best closed cans out there that are tuned to be more "fun", isolate very well and have the best soundstaging for closed back headphones.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 16
I can say that the Z1R and Utopia offer best of 2 worlds. One the upmost in transparency, neutrality and performance. The other IMO one of the best closed cans out there that are tuned to be more "fun", isolate very well and have the best soundstaging for closed back headphones.
Agreed, i found that i just couldn't love my HD800S. There is always this lingering doubt after i bought it. Glad that I can return it and get the Utopia instead.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #14 of 16
You need to try listening to them on a proper setup.
I don't think the setup that i listened to is that bad, but if i really need to change my amp etc just to maximize hd800s potential, i rather get the utopia instead, which is what i exactly did.

Or again, maybe the hd800/s sound signature is not just for me...

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Agreed, i found that i just couldn't love my HD800S. There is always this lingering doubt after i bought it. Glad that I can return it and get the Utopia instead.

I love my HD800S and think they are quite special when you get your front end right for them, but I do prefer the Utopias over them by a reasonable margin as well. That said...YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back