Z-Audio Lambda opamps
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wowie11

100+ Head-Fier
Calling all Z-Audio Lambda owners...I've been amp rolling lately and I just wanted to get your input. What kind of opamps are you guys using for your Lambda? Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 12
I am using stock opamps that are included when I bought mine from Ty. They are AD823 and AD8055 opamps. I haven't had any urge to try different opamps since they are sounding so good to my ears. If you guys have any other opamps which sound better than stock, please do let us know.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 12
Right now I have OP275's on them, which I prefer much more to the OPA2227 or the LF353 that I just had on. The Op275's seem to have a much more forward sound with tighter dynamics all around. the bass and the midrange seem to be tighter and the overall sound just seems to agree with me. I currently have them playing out of my Sony D5A's (which I believe are similar to the D5 that I just sold - they sure sounded similar) RCA lineout and using my Yamaha HP1's. If you can get your hands on this opamp it seems to have really good synergy with this setup. Hope this helps!

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 12
I would say so...these HP1's are notoriously difficult to drive and have always sounded loose with whatever amp I seemed to try with it (SR71, cmoy, and mini head, - all my brother's) but the dynamics of the Lambda all seem to tighten up and really shine with the OP275's. It also lessened the "fuzz" in the background of this poor remastering on this promotional CD I was listening to which was a big plus. I know these are really vague terms I am using, but the bass hits harder and the mids really come out with this opamp IMO. Definitely worth a look.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 12
rolleyes.gif
Dang, now I got to track this OP275. Do you know where I can buy this opamps? Thanks for your suggestion wowie.
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the OP275's (which are pretty inexpensive btw).
I'm curious, though, about the seemingly small number of head-fiers that own this transportable amp which seems to be one of the best buys and a candidate for the "most bang for the buck" amp. Any other Z-Audio Lambda owners out there?

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 12
It is totally worth it. I hope you're able to find this chip. Weird because it seemed to be fairly popular not too long ago with the DIYers on head-fi. Maybe you can do a WTB in the for sale/trade forums. Anyway, I was giving this amp/opamp combo another listen...man, it really does sound good. A little colder than the LF353, but more detailed. The OP275 also seems to extend the lows and mids a lot more. Very interesting synergy between this amp and opamp.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 12
Be careful with the OP275, since it has a higher input bias current than FET input opamps (100 nA). This can easily result in a rather high DC offset at the output of the amp -- unless the proper provisions were taken in the Lambda to balance the input impedances of the gain opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back