Z-Audio Amp Line up
Jul 19, 2005 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok well I just recieved these amps from Ken-Loo a few days ago, And I must say I'm quite impressed....

Although I plan to have a serious A\B once my supermacro gets back from Xin, Here are my initial thoughts of these great amps.

Firstly, There prices, all rock bottom compared to how much performace they put out.

The Z mu, which is the cheapest out of the 3 at 80$ is surprisingly quite impressive. Bass was a little lean compared to its "bigger brother" epsilon, but the mids and treble were surprisingly accurate and clean for such a cheap amplifier. Listening to Pink Floyd's Us and Them brought a giddy smile to my face with my SR125s as the transport.

The Z Epsilon is exactly the same size as the Mu, yet the goods under the hood, is definately superior to the lesser model. Bass seems much more punchy and in my face with the 125s, yet with my HD 595s I was wanting more. Again Great price for performance, at 110$, I believe, Size wise and portability make this a great buy. Listening to Us and them with the Epsilon sounded better on the 595s due to a larger soundstage IMO.

Finally, the Z Lambda, or the power house of the lineup. My small complaint is the size, but you do benefit from its larger housing in the component selection. Again, value, amazing amp for 170$. Much more dynamic and all around, (Despite not having my Supermacro to directly compare) Comes very close to holding its own against it, at nearly half the price. It seems as well that Tyler can add any other options on your amp if directly asked. I believe an ac adapter would make the Lambda a complete punch in the face to the lower priced amps (portables) out there. Definately a great amp if your just getting started, or looking for a portable. However the Epsilon and Mu are much easier to fit in your pocket, the Lambda is too big for that.

All In all I'm going to be using these 3 amps for the next 2 weeks or so, So if anyone has direct questions about a specific amp, either Pm me or just post your questions here.!

Cheers to Tyler making some impressive amps for the price!

-Jeff

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 7
glad you got them fine
smily_headphones1.gif
I was considering a portable amp so only used my canalphones. Nice to hear some other impressions though!

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah I'm glad to read more good impressions of his amps, I hope they start turning up on the board more. For what he's asking, they are incredible performers.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes they really are.! Nice job again tyler.

Edit: The epsilon and Lambda pushed my ER-4s well too, I forgot to write about those in my impressions, but it would be very good for a portable rig, (the epsilon), but if your on a budget, as you know the Mu is no slump either

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Another thing, Yes I know I keep forgetting to put things in, But the 1\8" inputs are very very sturdy and fit well with the overwell look. My supermacro's inputs were looser, and 1\8" pins didn't have as tight of a fit as these on the Z-audio lineup!

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Yep, and running great, I'm listening to some Metallica on them right now through my SR125s, nothing but grin
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back