Yulong P18
Dec 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

whereas

100+ Head-Fier
Apparently Yulong now has a "power purifier" called the Yulong P18. This is obviously meant to go along with the D18, A18, U18, etc.

The product description claims that most power purifiers compress dynamics and lose details in sound, which seems totally ridiculous to me. How does a power purifier have anything to do with affecting sound quality like that?

Seems like a cool product, but kinda silly in terms of the claims being made. Anyone have experience with these types of devices?

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
I will be ordering one in the next few wekks.  I will report back after I have had it for a while.  If nothing else it will look nice with my A18/U18/D18! :)

Look forward to hearing your impressions. By the way, how do you like your Yulong gear in general? How does the U100 and D100 MKII compare to the D18 / A18?

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Apparently Yulong now has a "power purifier" called the Yulong P18. This is obviously meant to go along with the D18, A18, U18, etc.

The product description claims that most power purifiers compress dynamics and lose details in sound, which seems totally ridiculous to me. How does a power purifier have anything to do with affecting sound quality like that?

Seems like a cool product, but kinda silly in terms of the claims being made. Anyone have experience with these types of devices?

Some users reported similar issues when using power conditioner with the Burson Conductor.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Look forward to hearing your impressions. By the way, how do you like your Yulong gear in general? How does the U100 and D100 MKII compare to the D18 / A18?

[size=medium]I find the A18/D18 combo more “musical’ than the A100/D100 MK II.  The A18 has more jam for driving my LCD 2’s as well.  Don’t get me wrong, A100/D100 are wonderful units.  I used them primarily as my portable set up that I would take out in the field with me (I work away from home on 18 to 20 day stretches).  The A100/D100 combo comes across a little “drier” and not as warm.  The A100/D100 are more neutral sounding but less forgiving of poor recordings than the A18/D18.[/size]

[size=medium]I have pre ordered the Yulong A8/D8 limited production amp and DAC so my A18/D18 have become my “field” set up along with my Heir 8.A’s.  I have since given the A100/D100 to my Sister.  I am interested in the P18 to help with the “generator” power we use out in the field.[/size]

[size=medium]I use a Consonance DLinear 15 Reference Power Conditioner in my 2 channel set up at home.  I noticed only improvement in this case, and no reduction in sonic qualities.  Although the P18 is not in the same league as the DLinear 15 I don’t expect its addition to hurt anything with my D18/A18 setup.  Obviously I could be wrong.  Although it could be a while, I will post my findings.[/size]

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 21
[size=10pt]I just emailed Rachel at Grant Fidelity. She expects to have some P18's in stock in the next week or two. This times out perfectly as I will be back in Calgary in 10 days or so and will be able to pick up a P18 directly from their shop. Although the power in my home is pretty decent, I will try it out at home immediately.  If all goes well I will have a P18 running in my set up in the field here (where power source definitely needs smoothing and filtering) shortly after.   These field conditions will be a good/true test of the P18.[/size]

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
How do you like your yulong setup?

I have been very happy with the A18/D18 from day one.  I love the sound.  I use this setup as my portable rig.  I work away from home on 3 to 4 week assignments then back for a week.  This cycle goes on for about 9 months of the year.  I take the A18/D18 with me on these excursions (usually with the Heir 8.A).  I will be heading out to work again in a few days for 4 weeks or so and will have lots of time to evaluate the P18 addition.  My A/C at home is pretty clean and I have always used power conditioners regardless.  All I can say right now about the P18 is that it does not affect the sound in a negative way.  The real test will come when I try it out at work on generated power.  Although we use huge diesel generators (relatively steady and reliable) they can definitely cause some audible noise issues in the power they generate.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
How do you like your yulong setup?

I see you are running the D18 through optical.  Is that from a CD transport?  Any issues with signal lock?  My D18 is fed by either a Squeezebox Touch > Coax or by a Laptop > JRiver > Yulong U18 > AES/EBU.  Smooth as silk, no dropouts.  I mostly play 24/96 and/or 24/192 FLAC files.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 21
Yes my signal can be questionable at times and it drives me crazy! At the moment I am running optical to my MacBook as a CD player/spotify premium source. I want to get the u18 next for the same reasons you mentioned. I have a balanced cable and some xlrs in the mail I'm excited about so next month I'll try and buy that u18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back