Yulong - Is it Worth It?
Jun 22, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DocHamm

500+ Head-Fier
I've been nosing around for a possible upgrade for my computer setup. I've seen these two Yulong products on eBay and am curious. Does anyone have these or know more about them? Are they worth it?

1. YULONG DAH1 MARK DAC/ Headphone Amplifier+ USB DAC
2. YULONG T-AMP AMP4780 Integrated Amplifier

I'd prefer to get something small (and low-cost) as I have limited space on my desktop, so ergo these looked interesting. I've searched the forum and found a handful of posts but nothing really stating how well they work or sound. Any input would be appreciated.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm not concerned with resale, I'm in it for use. I'm moving towards all digital and would use these on my main computer, since that's where I listen mostly now, but I'd like a little flexibility to add a device or two like this unit. It looks decent and well made, just the only posts I've found have been ones of them arriving broken or problems with shipping. Did you have any problems?

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Is it worth it? NO!

Techincally I suppose the sound is really rather good but there is this bloody ground noise (hiss/hum)!

Drives me mad

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Well, I've had a love-hate relationship with the DAH1. Yes, the internal transformer does hum (maybe due to DC in my power lines), and it does make a loud buzzing noise through my speakers when connected directly to my NAD C272 power amps in preamp mode. According to the seller on ebay (whom I emailed), the buzzing can be the cause of an impedance mismatch. Same goes for headphones with unmatched impedance. I have used the DAH1 with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s and do not hear a buzz/hiss noise. Also, when I use the DAH1 in "DACOUT" mode into my NAD C162 preamp and then into my C272 power amps, I do not hear any noise. I guess the only two concerns would be:

1) Do you plan on using this DAC as a preamp to go directly into a power amp or a pair of power amps?

2) Do you possibly have headphones with an impedance that would be mismatched with the DAH1?

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iainw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth it? NO!

Techincally I suppose the sound is really rather good but there is this bloody ground noise (hiss/hum)!

Drives me mad

This could be due to dirty power lines. Yes, technically a good component would have its own built-in filtering, but this is an emerging company/product that is considering cost when building these. I've been looking at making some kind of DIY DC filter, but I haven't really decided on anything yet. Channel Islands Audio makes an filtering product, and PS Audio sells the UPC 200HB that has a built in "humbuster" (I have the older UPC200 model, which doesn't have the humbuster, so it doesn't get rid of my transformer hum).

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm experiencing the same transformer buzz on my dah1 but only with sensitive cans (Senn HD25 1 II and ATH esw9). For the rest of the cans the buzz decreases in this order HFI780 -> Denon2000 -> DT880. If I press the mute the buzz disappears. With the Beyerdynamics the buzz is zero so the higher the impedance the lower the noise (impedance mismatch?? - jsplice).
The transformer is noiseless. Even I place my ear on top of it I cannot hear anything. I also have a ZERO DAC and in the same outlet there is no noise doesn't matter what cans I use. I tried to read a little bit about the cause of this noise but the literature is huge. The equipments sold by Channel Islands Audio and PS Audio are very expensive (Hummbuster III - $270). I'm trying to educate myself to do not hear the noise because is driving me nuts. Any idea how to solve that or at least to diminish hit?

May 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Does anyone know the impedence of the DAH1? Im considering buying the Yulong and upgrading my cans to the AKG K701. Ill be using the USB port on my VAIO NS. I wrote the company last night about whether the Yulong supports "up to" 96khz or if it only supports 44.1, 48, and 96Khz. I asked this because a lot of my files are in 88.2 and sometimes Ill be using 192Khz.

There are so many different product details online lol One company says it supports up to 192Khz? I have no clue. I have heard the Emm Labs Dac6e, Motu HD192, and the Benchmark DAC1. If I get the Yulong Ill write what I think about it. As of right now I don't feel comfortable buying it because of all the "buzz." Punn intended.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back