Yulong Crystal DAC
Dec 27, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #121 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is as simple as that. Though Creative has some bad software which makes it a little more difficult software wise but Slem has the same setup so he could describe how it's supposed to be set.

On the second, you basically have to options. One would be to build/buy a switchbox. This is a unit with one or multiple inputs and multiple outputs. You could also, if you're building the Millet yourself or having it built, add a loop out, possibly a passive preamp out, and connect the other amp to that.

I think I am going to go ahead and get a receiver to use as a switchbox. I have been eying a Onkyo TX-SR504. As it is, I have a bit of a complicated setup, and between PC and Xbox 360, and switching between PC speakers and headphones, I am constantly swapping wires. With the reciever I could do...

PC: X-Fi > Mini - Coax > Coax In DAC > RCA in Receiver
360: 360 Optical > Optical in Reciever

Then I could have each amp hooked to its own RCA out on the receiver, and that receiver has the mini-jack inputs for PC speakers, so I could use the ones I have now. The 360 wouldn't get the DAC, but that is not as necessary. I think (read: hope) this setup should work well.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #122 of 135
so, is this thing truly balanced or opamp inversed?

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #123 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thing looks awesome. I would love to have one. I do have two questions for you guys though.

For starters, hooking this up is as simple as running a mini -> digital coax from my X-Fi to this, then connecting my amp to this, and headphones into amp?

Secondly, in the future, I would like to buy a millet hybrid. Since this only has one RCA out, is there a simple way to hook up both amps to this without have to switch wires in the back? Some sort of system selector perhaps?

Personally, I would mod the X-Fi and forget the external DAC altogether.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #124 of 135
Have Yulong Crystal DAC too.
Just modified RCA outputs
1. Replace OPA604AP with OPA637BP
2. Replace RCA signal cable with Kimber Cable
3. Replace ELNA Kenwood 3300uF with 4700uF Mercon
4. Replace 4.7uF Capacitor with 4.7uF Solen + 0.1uF Kimber Cap

Is it possible to replace CS8414 with CS8416?
And CS4397 with CS4398?

P.S.
Anyone who has Yulong try TOSLNK yet?
My Yulong TOSLNK is not working...

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #125 of 135
A friend of mine managed to get Yu Long Crystal DAC. I had a chance to audition it yesterday. I would say with opamp rolling, like OPA637BP and re-capacitors. It beats the Zhaolu 2.0C. There is less compressed sonics in the Yu Long.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #126 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine managed to get Yu Long Crystal DAC. I had a chance to audition it yesterday. I would say with opamp rolling, like OPA637BP and re-capacitors. It beats the Zhaolu 2.0C. There is less compressed sonics in the Yu Long.

bordins, do you try 24/96 input yet?
inpuy with 24/96 is not working for me, too

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #127 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bordins, do you try 24/96 input yet?
inpuy with 24/96 is not working for me, too

I listened the Yu Long with a Phillips CD player as the transport. My friend said he can feed 24/96 in with good results. Let me check with him again.

BTW, his Diyeden was fried because of the 24/96 input
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #128 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened the Yu Long with a Phillips CD player as the transport. My friend said he can feed 24/96 in with good results. Let me check with him again.

BTW, his Diyeden was fried because of the 24/96 input
blink.gif

If i use DVD-Player as transport, i working fine. However, i not sure whether it's operate at 24/96 or not. The DAC don't have screen that show the input frequency. The problem occur only use with sound card (ESI Juli@).

In addition, please test TOSLNK, too. My TOSLNK is not working, too. However, my local electrician said that sound quality of TOSLNK inferior than SP/DIF. Not sure it's true or not.

I also have DIYEDEN SVDAC05. SVDAC05 working fine with my sound card at 24/192. However, the dac report 4398 failed after i listen non-stop 12 hours. I prefer SVDAC05 than Yulong. But it's seem that DIYEDEN DACs are so fragile... Firstly, i consider purchase another SVDAC05. After read your post, not anymore.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #129 of 135
http://www.audio-sz.com/viewthread.php?tid=3414
Just read from here.
Yulong Crystal DAC support upto 48/16.
Yulong represent (小龙) said that he have done some experiment.

Upsampling to 96/24 would damage sound quality.
switching between 96/24 and 48/16 needs more sophisticated transformer or its would cause sound quality degraded. I have SVDAC05. it support switching input signal. when the input signal switch, it cause some noise from the hardware of the DAC. Yes, noise come from hardware not the speaker. i try upsampling to 96/24 and didn't sense any sound improvement.

Now, i guess that Juli@+Windows is the one that cause SVDAC05 dead. When windows play CD, Juli@ will output at 44.1/16. When windows play any sound, its switch output to 48/16 and switch back to 44.1/16 after finish. I think that the excessive input switching kills SVDAC05.

The version i got optical input doesn't work (no selector). They said that it's intentional remove for simplicity.

however, some on circuit were degraded (or upgrade?).
--------------------------------------------
::1st->2nd version
:Capacitor
Aerovox 4700uF Capacitor are replaced with ELNA Kenwood (Japan) (real ELNA?) 3300uF (I replaced them with 4700uF Cap and got more dynamic)
ELNA Cerafine 220uF are replaced with Nichicon MUSE 220uF
ELNA Silmic 470uf are replace with unknown capacitor (printing on capacitors were faded)
unknown 4.7uF capacitor are replace with Gold Lion 4.7uF capacitor

:Regulator
LT1084 are replaced with LM317. I'm looking for LT1084. just can't find who sale the IC on my country.

::2nd->3rd version
Gold Lion 4.7uF capacitor (XLR) are replaced with EPCOS 10uF

I hope this would benefit others that would like purchasing the DAC afterward.
RMAA Result of Yulong Crystal DAC (Modded)
:Test setup
44.1Khz 16Bit
Juli@ SPDIF Out -> Yulong Crystal DAC -> Juli@ SPDIF In

http://eva13.fire.prohosting.com/Yul...stal%20DAC.htm
Kimber Cable
3y7ylmw.jpg

Marcon 4700uF
334oraq.jpg

0.01uF KimberCap + 4.7uF Solen
2n71qo7.jpg

OPA637BP
3ynqk90.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #130 of 135
I need help!
I have recieved the DAC and not everything is ok. During louder pasages I can hear very distinctive clipping. It happens not always and this is strange.
What can be the cause? Listening to the recording by the cd player there is nothing. It is possible that the interconnect can introduce such a distortion or somthing is wrong with the DAC?

Apr 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #132 of 135
I was afraid that something is wrong with the DAC. So I bought a pice of Yulong scrap. I will tray to fix it. I have such a theory. If it is possible to lower down the amplitude of the digital signal before conversion everything should be ok. But I am not shure if it is possible. Has anybody some ideas what to do?

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #133 of 135
i don't understand who would use such good "looking" parts and topology and it turns out to sound like poo. the pictures looked like a $3,000 dac. was that real pictures of the inside on the first page of this post or did it turn out to be b.s.? i don't get it
confused.gif

music_man

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #134 of 135
I don't get it as well. It sounds realy realy good except that you hear from time to time clliping during louder passages. And might be so that I have got unlucki and there is a broken or missused part. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back